Page 3 of 564 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningsEleven View Post
    American remakes of good foreign tv shows / movies.

For example:

Anyone in Aus seen the Channel 10 promo for Life On Mars? Anyone remember the British show exactly the same (title and everything) that was airing about late 2007 on ABC?

And, not expecting anyone to put their hand up here coz it is a pretty girly movie, but a year or so ago there was a Catherine Zeta-Jones film called No Reservations. Identical to a slightly older German film entitled Mostly Martha, which was actually a highly enjoyable movie with a really cute Italian guy in it.

I hate it how the Americans get all the credit for good plots and good scripts just coz a lot of people don't realise it's been done before in a different country...
    Do agree with your general point, but I'm kinda intrigued to see the American Life On Mars. I've heard Harvey Keitel is playing the Gene Hunt role and he's a fine actor. It could work because America has its own 70s cop show iconography to draw on like our version did with its Sweeney references.

American Office is pretty bloody good too, actually.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

It sure is.

Some characters I like a lot more on the US version like for instance the Receptionist. US Pam > UK Dawn.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Idiot clients

Stupid toe rag on the phone now.

Yes you fool, the answers to the questions about your case are the same on 20 January as they were on 24 December.

Clearly an undiagnosed brain injury.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Idiot clients

Stupid toe rag on the phone now.

Yes you fool, the answers to the questions about your case are the same on 20 January as they were on 24 December.

Clearly an undiagnosed brain injury.
    Yeah but you are charging them a fortune whilst on the phone, revenge is sweet.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by MorningsEleven View Post
    American remakes of good foreign tv shows / movies.

I hate it how the Americans get all the credit for good plots and good scripts just coz a lot of people don't realise it's been done before in a different country...
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Men Behaving Badly was one of the worst atrocities along those lines.

And Kath and Kim - don't really like the Aussie version, but plenty of people do, and yet the American version is apparently excremental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeah I've heard. Wastes a great couple of actors in Selma Blair and Molly Shannon too which shows you just how poorly-written it is.

Did anyone see the Americanised version of 'The Castle'? That got buried quick.
    I never saw it, but there was an American version of Fawlty Towers that is apparently very high on list of all time abominations.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Vice-Captain
    That sounds painful. I suppose, luckily for us, we barely ever actually watch them, because we either know they're going to be crap, or because they're so crap that no network will buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Definitely.

Got a bad reputation early for the pilot, but once it came into its own it shone. Such a quality show now.

Love Dwight so much.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I never saw it, but there was an American version of Fawlty Towers that is apparently very high on list of all time abominations.
    Right up there with the American Coupling.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Low Energy Lightbulbs

Your green apologist mates have guilted me into buying you so the very least you could do is meet me halfway and illuminate my living room, but no. Waste of ****ing time and money. I'd be better off with a glowstick.

Pinball Champion!
    Think I've done this before

People who hark on about the colour of Barack Obama's skin
    People who do this would probably never admit to being racist, and I wouldn't accuse them of it, but isn't making a big deal out of the colour of people's skin the very ideology this man is trying to put behind us? Hate the fact everyone has to make a deal out of it, oh and to the writers on Cricinfo, JP Duminy isn't black. If you want to bring a sensitive subject up, get your facts right.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Banned
    Agree. People who say look at him despite being black he's at the top constantly embarass.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post

People who do this would probably never admit to being racist, and I wouldn't accuse them of it, but isn't making a big deal out of the colour of people's skin the very ideology this man is trying to put behind us? Hate the fact everyone has to make a deal out of it, oh and to the writers on Cricinfo, JP Duminy isn't black. If you want to bring a sensitive subject up, get your facts right.
    Yeah annoys the hell out of me that.

'Obama is the first black president.'

O RLY?? I never knew that FFS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Pinball Champion!
    Isn't he mixed race as well? It's like anything that isn't Caucasian is now clased as Dirty South or something..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post

Sure, in the way that noone's black or white or Lemon Chiffon. He's pretty black though, as people go. You might as well say a bin-liner isn't black because it comes from a white background (cape coloured isn't he?).
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Pinball Champion!
    yeah, which a seperate racial group that was treated seperately during apartheid and speak a totally different language to the blacks in SA, and it's pretty poor form to call them black. Not that I'd expect everyone to know that, but someone writing for Cricinfo should..

Thread Information