Page 28 of 564 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128528 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Actually, to me, sciences are the ones that are the easiest and best to pick up through vocational training, as they are hands on fields of work that can be learnt through experience and tutoring. At the moment a lot of people go and listen to a lot of theory then dont use 75% of it in the real world. I'm not saying that a high level of education isnt needed, just think the way its done is pointless. Should be more like medicine where you learn and act on the knowledge at the same time
    Please. Even a graduate industrial chemist with no research quals needs to know theories behind enthalpy, energy states, stoichiometry, etc. All of which you'd no time to pick up on the job as a chemist unless you did about 10 years of training while working full-time. I worked as a pharm chemist for two years and I used absolutely every technique and theory taught to me in 3nd and 3rd year, stuff which would have taken yeaers to learn otherwise. Both of those years were very hands-on, geared to making me an employable chemist, not a bunch of chemists sitting around in tutorials discussing the why of H3O. Physics was much the same. In fact, I'd argue the teaching of physics is too practical, the most interesting stuff (relativity, etc.) wasn't taught until honours.

There's no way, with all the techniques you need to be a base level RA, you could learn everything you need on the job.

And, I might add, who says the techniques taught are the most efficient way of doing things? Whre do new techniques come from? Research. Where do you get a qualification which enables you to perform research? Uni.

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Most arts degrees are the same, apart from Law and languages, cant really see many that HAVE to be taught for 3 years away from the real world
    Clinical Psychology. To be able to practice, you need a masters. There is the option to do two years' real world experience to qualify for the clinical qual but you need to have done honours (4 years) to be in a position to do it. And even then, you have to do a ton of make-up reading to have the same level of knowledge of the latest research as someone who did the clinical masters at Uni.

If you want to argue real-world experience with other courses like international studies, computing or media, go ahead. But it's absolutely untrue for science. The level of knowledge expected in a scientist makes doing it on the job pretty impractical.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    3nd and 3rd year

Sorry. Carry on.

RIP Craigos

People who read a poem and say 'but it doesn't rhyme!'.

"Free-verse" poems

Get ****ed.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Please. Even a graduate industrial chemist with no research quals needs to know theories behind enthalpy, energy states, stoichiometry, etc. All of which you'd no time to pick up on the job as a chemist unless you did about 10 years of training while working full-time. I worked as a pharm chemist for two years and I used absolutely every technique and theory taught to me in 3nd and 3rd year, stuff which would have taken yeaers to learn otherwise. Both of those years were very hands-on, geared to making me an employable chemist, not a bunch of chemists sitting around in tutorials discussing the why of H3O. Physics was much the same. In fact, I'd argue the teaching of physics is too practical, the most interesting stuff (relativity, etc.) wasn't taught until honours.

There's no way, with all the techniques you need to be a base level RA, you could learn everything you need on the job.

And, I might add, who says the techniques taught are the most efficient way of doing things? Whre do new techniques come from? Research. Where do you get a qualification which enables you to perform research? Uni.

Clinical Psychology. To be able to practice, you need a masters. There is the option to do two years' real world experience to qualify for the clinical qual but you need to have done honours (4 years) to be in a position to do it. And even then, you have to do a ton of make-up reading to have the same level of knowledge of the latest research as someone who did the clinical masters at Uni.

If you want to argue real-world experience with other courses like international studies, computing or media, go ahead. But it's absolutely untrue for science. The level of knowledge expected in a scientist makes doing it on the job pretty impractical.
    Haha, was just about to post something like this w.r.t science.

Anyway, the point about a degree that's being missed somewhat is that it's difficult to enter a quality job without one. I'm doing a chemical engineering degree, and people suggest things like, "hmm, four years in a university... will you really be more qualified than you would be if you'd spent four years in industry?" Possibly not, but how on earth was I going to get a job in the engineering industry aged 18 when the other candidates have spent four years studying it?

It would be quite illegal in fact. When unqualified people get jobs in chemical engineering, stuff explodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Agree with Corey and Uppercut.
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

You know what really grinds my gears? Posts like PhoenixFire's above

"Agree with Corey and Uppercut".

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, why even post, other than to increase your post count? I'm sure T_C and Uppercut are comfortable enough in their own opinions that they don't need them validated by other posters. I'm sure I've posted one or two "AWTA" posts in the past, but I've tried to eradicate them recently, unless I'm mentioning something else in the same post...

Pinball Champion!
    Dwta
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    You know what really grinds my gears? Posts like PhoenixFire's above

"Agree with Corey and Uppercut".

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, why even post, other than to increase your post count? I'm sure T_C and Uppercut are comfortable enough in their own opinions that they don't need them validated by other posters. I'm sure I've posted one or two "AWTA" posts in the past, but I've tried to eradicate them recently, unless I'm mentioning something else in the same post...
    Thoughts noted.

And then ignored.

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Agree with Voltman.

Think my head might explode now.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

PY
    I did a masters in aerospace engineering & I sometimes wonder if it would've been better to do an apprenticeship rather than degree in the company I work for because the folk who did them then went to uni (paid for by company) know more than I do about their specific jobs and have risen further than I can because I'm only a graduate at the moment.

I have to admit though, I wouldn't able to do what I do currently without a degree. You either get one yourself and have some freedom while you're at uni and freedom over choices of employment or get it paid for but you're tied down with your choice of career. Tough choice but poor hindsight because I made my choice and things have worked out ok.

It's interesting debate as long as people don't get uppity about it.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Agree with Fullins.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    "Free-verse" poems

Get ****ed.

WAC

Getting an eviction letter from my Real Estate agency for failing to pay rent, when I've paid correctly each fortnight and my flatmate who has been responsible for paying the Real Estate says he has too.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    My Co-teacher and boy's English class today

As far as my co-teacher's concerned...you either read my lesson plan (and it was ****ing short for this week!) and tell me about things you think should be changed when I show you last Friday, or shut the **** up! Don't decide class is the best time to change things around meaning we waste most of the 45 mins getting students to repeat stuff they've already done or asking me to read out their role play straight after they've done it.

And don't turn up to class and stand there and stare out the window, or bring your laptop and work on it at the front desk, or leave halfway through. The other day he left 5 mins before the end of class because they'd called him about the work on the English room...you're either here or your not.

And don't say 'the students need to be controlled'...that's your job when you consider being in the classroom important enough to fit into your busy schedule. Get organised and turn up. I didn't come here to tell the students to be quiet every 10 seconds. In fact, I don't give a **** whether they learn English or not...I get paid regardless and the public system in Korea is a complete waste of time. YOU CAN'T ROTE LEARN ENGLISH!!. There...I said it.

Oh, and for the boy students...shut the **** up.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

SoC 10/10.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Thread Information