Page 168 of 564 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 8451
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    A bloke on the train last night had a runny nose but instead of wiping it with a ****ing tissue kept loudly inhaling it back into his nose for 20 minutes. Didn't know whether to laugh or jump out.
    Hate those people, if you want to really get under my skin, this is how it's done.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Had a girl in high heels at an exam (what the hell?!) walking over the wooden floor twice during the exam to go to the toilet. So loud and annoying.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Had a girl in high heels at an exam (what the hell?!) walking over the wooden floor twice during the exam to go to the toilet. So loud and annoying.
    My Uni rolled out a massive blue carpet over the floorboards, helped keep the noise down, and saved embarrassment if one dropped a pen/calculator/cheat notes.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Sort of like saying why anything that doesn't directly pertain to your particular every day usage is worth doing or knowing....
    Dire
    Haha, not exactly, but I'm not going to spend time wracking my brain over something that will not benefit me one bit after being at work all day. If I enjoyed Maths then I would, but I don't, so it's not worth the effort, being able to do such sums will not enhance my life one bit. Have told you this before, that's the way I operate.

I would class it as important to know TBH. It's basic rational skill and universe is mathematical. Not saying you have to be able to understand quantum theory at a mathematical level, but I do thing some literacy is a good thing.
    I'm excellent at arithmetic, that's enough for me. I was good at most things Mathematical back in the day but have forgotten them nowadays
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Adelaide

Sort your timezone out ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Indeed.

Cricket Web Content Updater alternative's Avatar
    People who ****ing write a paragraph for everything. Should just have an automatic cut off after first two lines, as rest of the jazz is bull**** anyway.
    Member of the AAAS
    Member of CW Green | Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team | Northside Power

Manager of South Australia (WCC)

Winner of AFL Tipping 2006 | Winner of Wimbeldon Prediction 2006

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Haha, not exactly, but I'm not going to spend time wracking my brain over something that will not benefit me one bit after being at work all day. If I enjoyed Maths then I would, but I don't, so it's not worth the effort, being able to do such sums will not enhance my life one bit. Have told you this before, that's the way I operate.
    I know and I can't understand it. Knowing about WWII will not increase your quality of life in most cases either, but I still think having complete ignorance of the topic is detrimental to you and society in general. It's really about having a certain expectation from your citizenry. I don't think society can work properly in this modern day and age without us at least having that expectation. If some people fall short, fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Older women with good bodies but ropey faces who don't dress age appropriately

Saw one today from behind. Had lovely long curly mid-brown hair, was wearing short denim skirt with thick tights/leggings and high heeled boots and was steeling myself for a good perv as I drove past...feck me the face was a blow: drawn, lined and sun-damaged.

Before I'm decried as a sexist, this applies equally to blokes I'm sure, but not an area of interest for me, perving wise.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I know and I can't understand it. Knowing about WWII will not increase your quality of life in most cases either, but I still think having complete ignorance of the topic is detrimental to you and society in general. It's really about having a certain expectation from your citizenry. I don't think society can work properly in this modern day and age without us at least having that expectation. If some people fall short, fine.
    Well in my case I find History interesting so knowing about WWII kind of does increase my quality of life, if I find something interesting I learn more about it. Plus knowing about significant historical events is different because understanding history contributes to understanding society in general, I would argue that knowing how to do quadratic equations (for example) doesn't achieve this. I am working a 50 hour week at the minute. Why the **** would i want to do sums that won't help me in any way whatsoever when I have time to myself?

As for the expectation from my citizenry, quite bizarre statement, please explain

The stupid fricking Air New Zealand ad Fox Sports play before all their highlights clips on the website. The woman doing the ad has the most irritating voice (probably not helped by the fact that I'm also sick of her accent).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Well in my case I find History interesting so knowing about WWII kind of does increase my quality of life, if I find something interesting I learn more about it. Plus knowing about significant historical events is different because understanding history contributes to understanding society in general, I would argue that knowing how to do quadratic equations (for example) doesn't achieve this. I am working a 50 hour week at the minute. Why the **** would i want to do sums that won't help me in any way whatsoever when I have time to myself?

As for the expectation from my citizenry, quite bizarre statement, please explain
    WW2>Maths. Fact.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    WW2>Maths. Fact.
    Interesting take on millions of deaths.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

So how does knowing about WWII help you in your 50 hour week job? You live in a technologically and scientifically oriented society. A simple education in math, science, history and everything else is essential to be able to function in society. Read an article about something and make an informed decision. You are taking a specific thing, like quadratic equation, and that's like knowing the specific date of some battle in WWII. By itself, perhaps it adds nothing, but it all feeds into overall literacy in history, math or whatever subject. All of it is important. How can you make informed decisions on anything, or view events within their proper context?

cpr
    To me, the importance of a field of study is directly linked to the number of questions about said field your likely to find in your average pub quiz
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Thread Information