Page 167 of 564 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,505 of 8459
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: You know what really grinds my gears? II

Quote Originally Posted by marcussjd9 View Post
    It ends in an 0.
    My contribution
    Better than I could do. I just thought "ugh, numbers" and scrolled on by.

cpr
    Right that blackboard one, its got to be a multiple of 9 of those numbers, and the 2 that arnt correct must be side by side....

So it must be a multiple of an even number, thus all odd numbers are out....

Must be a multiple of either 5 or 10, now it cant end in 5 as above, so must end in 0...

More to come when I can think of some.....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

The numbers before the 0 have to be a multiple of 3.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

cpr
    If both 12 and 11 are correct, then the figure would have to be divisible by both of them, ie 132. Ending in 0 that leaves 1320, 1980, 2640, 3300. If all 4 of these options do not fit the criteria, then we can assume that the answer is not divisble by 12 and 11.

1980 is divisible by all numbers in the list bar 8 and 9

thats my answer
    Last edited by cpr; 02-09-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    The Eton College King's Scholarship Maths Paper B

Fine, I know it's meant to be the hardest award in the Country to get, and I know it's worth 14,000 in fees over five years if you get it, but really, do you have to make it so bloody obtuse? These children are 12 years old, ffs, and whilst differentiation is one thing, actually making the bloody questions possible without consuming half of the rainforest in working in the process is quite another. Most of this stuff is waaay beyond A* at GCSE - perhaps not in terms of content, but definitely in terms of reasoning skills.

To our A* boys: have a go at a few of these

Q1 (c): Split the number 68 into two parts such that 4/7 of one part is equal to 2/5 of the other

Q2 (b): Three barrels contain mixtures of wine and water in the ratio 1:2, 3:2 and 2:5 respectively. A new mixture is made by scooping a proportion from each barrel in the ratio 3:5:4 respectively. What is the ratio of wine to water in the new mixture?

Q4 (a): Solve the simultaneous equations 2/x - 3/y = 7 and 8/x + 9/y = 91
    Q4 (b): Solve the simultaneous equations 2^(p+1) - 3^(2q+1) = 7 and 2^(p+3) + 3^(2q+2) = 91

Then it perversely gets easier, after 3/4 of the candidates have lost the will to live and half of the rest have started crying into their calc... wait, rulers. You're not allowed calculators.
    Uhm, let's see. Q1 is a simultaneous equation trick, I think. You'd get something like 4x/7=2y/5, x+y=68. I'll stop short of actually doing it.

Q2 is just a lot of sums. I'd essentially just assign a value to a "part" of wine/water, then count the number of parts of each in the final mixture. Hate those questions, really easy to get confused and screw a number up.

I suspect there's more to Q4 than initially meets the eye so I'll have to try it some time when it's not so late.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

1980 / 7 = 282.857143

cpr
    always helps i continue on my maths. My eyes that means 12 and 11 are wrong.
    Last edited by cpr; 02-09-2009 at 06:20 PM.

But 1980 divides by 9 - so you're good

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    if both 12 and 11 are correct, then the figure would have to be divisible by both of them, ie 132. Ending in 0 that leaves 1320, 1980, 2640, 3300. If all 4 of these options do not fit the criteria, then we can assume that the answer is not divisble by 12 and 11.

1980 is divisible by all numbers in the list bar 8 and 7

thats my answer
    fyp.

cpr
    Yeah, just spent ages recalculating, then realised it was a typo first time!

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Better than I could do. I just thought "ugh, numbers" and scrolled on by.
    This.

Hijacked threads

Grinds my gears.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

A bloke on the train last night had a runny nose but instead of wiping it with a ****ing tissue kept loudly inhaling it back into his nose for 20 minutes. Didn't know whether to laugh or jump out.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    A bloke on the train last night had a runny nose but instead of wiping it with a ****ing tissue kept loudly inhaling it back into his nose for 20 minutes. Didn't know whether to laugh or jump out.
    Drives me mad does that, hate it in exams and things as well, or any enclosed space where you can't ignore it, it is really that hard to blow your nose ffs?!

Yeah, exam sniffles are pretty bad. The stuff I hated the most in exams were wobbly tables and creaky chairs.

Had the misfortune of getting both during the same Finance exam in first year. Felt like the longest 3 hours of my life.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Yeah, exam sniffles are pretty bad. The stuff I hated the most in exams were wobbly tables and creaky chairs.

Had the misfortune of getting both during the same Finance exam in first year. Felt like the longest 3 hours of my life.
    Yeah I had that, got a telling off for trying to ram a piece of paper under the table leg as well, dire times, am hoping that I can avoid that as much as possible in the future.

Thread Information