Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The worst physical affliction?

Pinball Champion!

The worst physical affliction?

Okay, so some dude walks down the street, maybe Perm? Approaches you and says "I'm granting you immunity from any disease/ailment that life can throw at you"

Which would you chose?

I'd go for blindness.. Not being able to see anything would be the most terrible thing I could think of, would struggle to carry on if that was thrown my way..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Alzheimers. You'd be losing who you are as a person. These days, people can learn to live fairly normally if they are blind. Alzheimers is so brutal for everyone, especially for close family.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Considering that a lot more quadriplegics line up for euthanesia than visually impaired people, I'd want to avoid the former. Can't imagine becoming a vegetable and depending on other people for the most basic of bodily functions.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    AWTA, can't imagine having to have people to do all sorts of things for you, because you were incapable. It would be so degrading.

Can't imagine being brain-dead would be all that much fun either TBH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Alzheimers. You'd be losing who you are as a person. These days, people can learn to live fairly normally if they are blind. Alzheimers is so brutal for everyone, especially for close family.
    Yeah Alzheimers is possibly worse for the people around the victim, as half the time the victim has no clue about the seriousness of what they have. My grandad has it so bad that I can walk to the top of the stairs, turn around, walk back down, and he will have forgotten who I am.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Yeah Alzheimers is possibly worse for the people around the victim, as half the time the victim has no clue about the seriousness of what they have. My grandad has it so bad that I can walk to the top of the stairs, turn around, walk back down, and he will have forgotten who I am.
    The thing is, as bad as it is, I am sure that there can be worse things if you are living in extreme pain, such as some types of terminal cancer. I'd rather be living in blissfull ignorance rather than extreme pain.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    The thing is, as bad as it is, I am sure that there can be worse things if you are living in extreme pain, such as some types of terminal cancer. I'd rather be living in blissfull ignorance rather than extreme pain.
    yeah it's weird, he's certainly a lot happier than my mum who is looking after him.. Totally a thankless task when they don't even know who you are..

Cancer. There are worse things but I don't have a four-generation family history of those.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    AWTA, can't imagine having to have people to do all sorts of things for you, because you were incapable. It would be so degrading.
    Agree with you regarding quadriplegic, though with modern technology, I might hold out hope of something (e.g, learning to communicate, and maybe even have some kind of a job). I know I could do programming at home using the type of system Stephen Hawking uses. And you don't know if science can eventually give you some use of your body back.

Whereas once your brain liquefies and you start getting holes in there, it's done. It's not coming back regardless of the technology.

Can't imagine being brain-dead would be all that much fun either TBH.
    Well, if you have no activity in your frontal cortex, it would neither be fun or boring. You are dead, your body might still be using up oxygen, but there is nothing there.

The thing is, if I lose who I am, I am effectively dead anyway. Then it's just a body attached to a brain that's no longer 'mine'.

Curveball Champion!
    Agree with you regarding quadriplegic, though with modern technology, I might hold out hope of something (e.g, learning to communicate, and maybe even have some kind of a job). I know I could do programming at home using the type of system Stephen Hawking uses. And you don't know if science can eventually give you some use of your body back.
    It is still degrading though. I couldn't think of many things worse than having other people carry out the most basic things that you do and until somebody invents something, it's always going to be like that.

Well, if you have no activity in your frontal cortex, it would neither be fun or boring. You are dead, your body might still be using up oxygen, but there is nothing there.
    Yeah it was a slightly tounge in cheek comment, I know what being braindead is ;p

The thing is, if I lose who I am, I am effectively dead anyway. Then it's just a body attached to a brain that's no longer 'mine'.
    Point still remains. I'd rather be 'dead' and just wander around not knowing anything about anything than live every day of my life in excruciating pain, knowing perfectly well that there was so much stuff that I couldn't, and would never be able to do.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Too many to chose from tbh.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Blindness would be up there.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

cpr
    Yeah, really would hate to be blind, possibly the most awful thing i can think off (bar of course terminal illnesses/loss of limbs)

Deaf i could cope, but not being able to see would be the worst, a world of emptyness where every sound almost sneaks up on you. Be ****ting myself constantly!
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I'd agree with this. And other neurological afflictions like Huntington's. Although any physical affliction is horrible, I could come to terms with most things, but the thought of loosing brain function, the ability to think, execute action, and general independence etc. is too drastic.

As for purely physical problem where I retain full cognitive ability and the ability to recognize that I have said affliction, probably various forms of paralysis. I tend to be a fairly independent person. Having to depend on others for virtually ever aspect of life would be heart-breaking.

This is too morbid. Now I'm kind of bummed out. Way to go!
    Last edited by krkode; 15-01-2009 at 02:01 PM.

U19 Debutant
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information