46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic

15 32.61%
  • Manual

24 52.17%
  • Perm smokes weed

7 15.22%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic or Manual? (Transmission)

Pinball Champion!

Automatic or Manual? (Transmission)

After a week in my new Auto, I don't think there is any way I could own a manual again, simply bliss, like driving around in a dodgem, I love it.. I also don't see how anyone could prefer a manual (Unless your surname is Hamilton or Sainz, or you want to be them of course).. So lets put this to the CW vote.. Yes it makes me a lazy driver, but thats not a problem so long as I'm still looking at the road
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    This is one of my long time rants. There is zero justification for prefering a manual unless you are driving a high performance sports car.

People that think there is are lying to themselves. I hate people whining "Im used to a manual and the clutch and I like it" or "I feel like I have greater control and feel"

All bull**** and excuses.

Point car and press go. People dont intentionally make other aspects of life more complicated than they need to be.

There are reasons for driving a manual rather than an auto but IMO they are pretty poor and have nothing to do with it being easier and more convenient.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    I've driven both types and I prefer manual transmission.

Several reasons (although some auto transmission can give you some of the same) but the main reason is you can control the output of power for when you need it. You can put the car into 1st/2nd for those bursts required uphill and you know that when you need the power to overtake someone, you'll get an immediate response rather than a short delay whilst the auto transmission reacts to your desired acceleration level.

In a 3D city like Wellington where you're constantly going uphill or downhill and very rarely on the flat, a manual is even more useful in my opinion.

The other thing to remember is that an Auto transmission is a real dog's **** box to fix when the thing goes wrong. Might as well chuck it out and start again.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    You so get slightly better mileage - though some parts of your car wear out quicker. That said, I prefer Auto. I've only driven manual a couple times, and didn't see what the big deal was regarding people feeling more control. I mean, I could push the car if I want and I'd have even more manual control, but that doesn't make it better.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    In a 3D city like Wellington where you're constantly going uphill or downhill and very rarely on the flat, a manual is even more useful in my opinion.
    This might be true, in the US and particularly for where i have to go, it's pretty flat open roads and lots of highways. In fact, I just get myself to 60-65mph, turn cruise control on, and frequently I don't have to do anything for hours. My record is not having to do anything for 5 hours and 20 minutes.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 13-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    When I learn, I definitley want to learn with a manual gearbox, though I guess that by the time I can afford to buy my own car, they'll have made auto ones that will be as good as any manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Have always had manual's not sure why, just my first car was one and got used to it. My dad's car is an Auto and I don't like driving that, genuinely feel like I'm not concentrating as much as I should be.

Definitely manual.

Reasons:

1) Automatics create traffic jams. It's true: they can only slow down by braking, the lights go on, everyone reacts and the whole motorway comes to a standstill. Thanks but no thanks.
    2) In a manual, you don't kill an innocent bystander every time you put it into reverse
    3) Automatics are for mechanophobe losers anyway
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    1) Automatics create traffic jams. It's true: they can only slow down by braking, the lights go on, everyone reacts and the whole motorway comes to a standstill. Thanks but no thanks.
    Good one. Any automatic afficionados know how to do engine/gear braking with an Auto?

If someone is slowing down in front of me, I want the lights to go on. Why wouldn't you?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Good one. Any automatic afficionados know how to do engine/gear braking with an Auto?
    Automatics have do have lower gears (1st and 2nd in my experience) you can leave the car in for towing purposes, so if push comes to shove you can slip it out of automatic and into a lower gear, which will slow the engine down, obv.

That said, unless you have a uterus and/or an American passport automatics are pretty unforgiveable. How to make driving even lazier & more fuel-hungry...? Hang on....
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

I prefer automatic... probably because that's the kind of car I learned to drive on. I had an opportunity to learn/drive manual when I visited family in India, but I hate driving over there. Gives me the willies...

It's getting harder and harder to find manuals when you're shopping for Jap imports as I tend to do. My last two cars have been automatics and the convenience factor is excellent, but I do enjoy driving manuals when I get the chance juast as it requires you to concentrate a bit more which can only be good for other road users...

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I think in the UK, you need to complete your test in a Manual car, but if you take it in an Auto then you can only drive in Auto cars.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I think in the UK, you need to complete your test in a Manual car, but if you take it in an Auto then you can only drive in Auto cars.
    Probably the case anywhere, definitely is here in Australia too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information