Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking back on 2008

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar

Looking back on 2008

What have you done/accomplished this year that's worth recounting?

For me it was the year of appreciating the arts in a way. Read five books and am in the middle of reading two more, watched close to a hundred movies, and massively expanded my music collection. I used to own music from something like 8 artists, I have now expanded that number to almost 30.

Also got out and went to some good concerts as well as some bad ones, the AC/DC one being the best and the Stone Temple Pilots one being the absolute worst. Went to a Bears game as well. Biggest regret is not playing enough golf this year when we had some beautiful weather.
    RIP Craigos

Pinball Champion!
    Been a year of rebuilding for mine after my absolute shocker in 2007.. Got myself financially in a position to go back to SA and to stop being reliant on my parents, built up a great business relationship with my photography boss in the UK which should help me all the time.. Decided to go all in and go back to my life as a student pilot in 2009..

Burnt some pretty massive bridges with people I've known all my life and now realised they weren't worth knowing at all, and built some new ones with some new friends I hope I keep for life.. I hang out with whoever I like now, rather than people who are the same age or from the same background.. Meaning I've got a diverse bunch of friends which makes me a lot happier.

I hope next year is a lot less eventful to be honest, 2008 has been turbulent to say the least but things are rapidly settling down.. I think I've learnt to be a lot more independant, but on the other hand I have become far less trusting of people. I have been conned quite a bit this year. Robbed and bailed out on.

I pretty much gave up playing cricket and learnt how to play poker.. That was something I could never have seen happening..

5/10 for this year, but next year has the potential to be an 8 or 9
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 25-12-2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    CBF evaluating it, so am going to try my best to turn this into a Made/Ruined Your Year thread:

Made my year
    Spent the large majority of it in China, which was hands down the best year of my life, and met some people who I'm almost positive will be good friends for life. It also gave me the opportunity to do a whole lot of traveling around China, as well as making me so much more independent and less reliant on the folks. Also helped my Chinese I suppose.
    Had the most mature and (at the time) rewarding relationship I've had so far.
    Joined a rugby club here in Hangzhou and absolutely loved it, despite never playing a game before. Got involved in the organisation as well and met some really cool people.
    Just the thought that I've developed well as a person, and can hold my head high and be proud of how I acted after a few bad experiences.
    Seeing which of my friends from Australia have made the effort to stay in contact and invovled in my life.
    Feeling like I have more direction in my life now, in terms of what I want to do, the kind of people I want to be friends with and the kind of person I want to be.

Ruined my year
    Aforementioned relationship ending very messily, to the point where I kinda regret every getting it started in the first place, which I've never wanted to feel after a relationship.
    My main set of travels in the summer being cut short by half of our group (including girlfriend at the time) packing it in and heading home without any warning and without saying goodbye, and then myself falling fairly sick and having to return home by myself, and being completely neglected and ignored by the half of our group that had already retured.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Started on my dream career.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Got married this year and ended the year with a full year contract for next year. Pretty good year to say the least.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Pretty good year in hindsight
    Got Engaged
    Bought our first home
    Got promoted at work
    Made my 1st grade debut for my cricket club

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Been a great year for me. Spent time (even if it was only a few hours) in no less than eight different countries over the course of the year, broadened my horizons hugely. Joined a new society at Uni which is incredibly enjoyable, made tons of new friends and am considering running for a leadership position next year. Which brings me onto having decided to stay on another year at Uni and do a Master of Arts course in Transnational Studies, which is great providing it's not uber-expensive and providing I get the 2:1 I need to get in.

Only downside of the year for me has been a lot of confusing relationship issues, but those were/are of my own doing, and will eventually be solved one way or the other. All in all, a fantastic year, probably the best of my life.

International Vice-Captain SupaFreak2005's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    What have you done/accomplished this year that's worth recounting?

For me it was the year of appreciating the arts in a way. Read five books and am in the middle of reading two more, watched close to a hundred movies, and massively expanded my music collection. I used to own music from something like 8 artists, I have now expanded that number to almost 30.

Also got out and went to some good concerts as well as some bad ones, the AC/DC one being the best and the Stone Temple Pilots one being the absolute worst. Went to a Bears game as well. Biggest regret is not playing enough golf this year when we had some beautiful weather.
    Don't forget that killer round of Black Sheep!
    Padi ag ofin ton fach unig Sua, sua ar lan y mor Huna blentyn nid oes yma Ddim i roddi iti fraw

Made My Year
    - Getting my first preference for uni as a result of the entry requirements dropping
    - Front-row centre for Paul Kelly at Big Day Out
    - Employment in the way of coaching a cricket team for a couple of months. Paid well.
    - Finishing off a good season with the bat with a premiership
    - Finding a winter cricket team and enjoying the format
    - Finding something that I'm passionate about (student politics) and getting leadership in that area
    - Made a killing betting on NRL
    - Been promised a job for next year
    - Passed my courses with what should be grades good enough to get into Law.

Ruined My Year
    - Girl I had feelings for at the start of the year screwed me around quite a bit (and not even literally)
    - Really didn't enjoy most of my time studying at University
    - Still have no idea what I want to do for a career
    - Liberals being in power at UQ and NUSQ. What's worse is that they're completely corrupt scumbags.
    - Not having much money as I wait for this supposed job I have to get back to me officially
    - Having our property destroyed and being left without power and clean drinking water for days
    - Met another girl I'm really fond of but lives in Newcastle. Brisbane girls are dire.
    - My cricket form has turned to **** and I'm doubting whether I should continue on next season, especially if I'm busy with work and uni.
    Last edited by James90; 25-12-2008 at 09:39 PM.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Was elected president of the Melbourne University Law Students' Society which was quite a thrill :nerd:

Bought a nice shirt the other day too.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Was elected president of the Melbourne University Law Students' Society which was quite a thrill :nerd:

Bought a nice shirt the other day too.
    Simple pleasures.
    Last edited by Matt79; 26-12-2008 at 03:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Made my year
    Ended up in a really interesting job which quickly escalated to an even better job
    Not living in Auckland anymore, but the much more pleasant Wellington

Ruined my year
    Back pain ending in an operation
    Rubbish job situation at the start of the year - I'll never work for someone as incompetent as that again.
    Family friend dying last month
    Economic situation having an impact on my job in the last couple of weeks - I still have a job (and still will as far as I know), but it's rocky times ahead.

Made my year
    Started the new degree, am loving it
    Won an award for topping one of the subjects.
    Moved out of home
    Got a job
    Going interstate for one of my best mate's wedding at the start of the year and sister getting engaged towards the end of the year to a great bloke.
    Had a great end to the year, going away for a few days and the cricket

Ruined my year
    Stopped playing indoor cricket
    Nothing much though, last year was the worst year of my life and this year has been a complete reversal of that, very happy at the moment.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Well I suppose I should post the negative stuff too.

Ruined:

Got suspended from work in July for an honest mistake that apparently cost the company $80,000. I had thought that I had lost my job and at the same time my dad had a surgery, telling me about it just 10 hours before. Had a side reaction to the pain medication and ended in a hospital 30 miles away from home. So here I am driving back and forth to the hospital dealing with my dad's illness as he's 100% dependent on me and is about the worst patient you can get in a hospital while still worrying if I'm gonna have a job come next week.

Turns out I got a three day suspension instead with a one year probation period during which even one screw up can see me out of a job and I ended up driving something like 350 miles in that week due to my dad. Of course when I brought it up how it was worst week of my life just two days ago when he decided to have another unneeded surgery, he tells me that it was my job to do what I did and didn't do him any favors. Obviously I snapped and we haven't talked since even though we live in the same house.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Might I ask what this mistake was, NP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information