Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Assisted Euthanasia

Pinball Champion!

Assisted Euthanasia

There is a program going out tonight which has one of my most hated groups, the Pro-Life lobby up in arms..

It basically documents a clinic in Switzerland which legally helps terminally ill people, who obviously have to give full consent and be proved to be of clear thought, to end their lives.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on here. I think it's a very positive thing, to give people the liberation to decide their ultimate fate in life or death.. It obviously brings up a number of moral debates, but I fail to see how any of these Pro-Lifers and Religious do-gooders can understand what someone with a terminal illness has to go through on a day to day basis, and I don't see how they can pass judgement at a sound decision about terminating their life..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    There is a program going out tonight which has one of my most hated groups, the Pro-Life lobby up in arms..

It basically documents a clinic in Switzerland which legally helps terminally ill people, who obviously have to give full consent and be proved to be of clear thought, to end their lives.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on here. I think it's a very positive thing, to give people the liberation to decide their ultimate fate in life or death.. It obviously brings up a number of moral debates, but I fail to see how any of these Pro-Lifers and Religious do-gooders can understand what someone with a terminal illness has to go through on a day to day basis, and I don't see how they can pass judgement at a sound decision about terminating their life..
    Are u pro-suicide?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    It doesnt bother me at all on a moral level and Im sure there are ways of implementing it to minimise abuse.

What I do worry about is whether anyone can chose to have their life terminated by another.

Terminal illness can be interpreted in a number of way and can extend into years of life. Life can be argued to be pretty terminal by nature

If it comes down to 'people have the right to make decisions about their own life' then there is nothing stopping a young fit healthy 19 year old having an assisted suicide because his girlfriend left him.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Many people don't realize the sustained agony and torture that many terminally-ill patients, especially terminally-ill cancer patients have to go through, with progressively worse pain, and no chance of recovery. If someone has made the decision not to put themselves, and their family, through an ordeal like that, the decision should certainly be respected.

As for the 19 year old, who is otherwise healthy, there is nothing stopping him from jumping off a cliff. The problem with some of these patients is that they are reliant on others for most daily activities and thus its hard for them to commit suicide.

Frankly, that 19 year old does have the right to make decisions about his life. I may think he is a moron, but that's his prerogative to jump off a cliff. Though I would argue that if he is contemplating suicide for that reason, he is not of sound mind, and thus not capable of making that decision. However, there is really no way to stop him, unless it's a botched suicide attempt (like someone who makes a call to his friend that he is about to commit suicide) - and those are usually just cries for help or attention (if you want to be sure you kill yourself, you'll do it in a way where there is no chance of survival).
    Last edited by silentstriker; 10-12-2008 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Are u pro-suicide?
    "Pro-Suicide" is a bit of a loaded way of putting it, but yeah I guess so, I think people of a sound mind should in special circumstances be allowed to chose whether to terminate their life or not..

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    There aren't many of these moral ambiguity subjects i have a strong opinion on, being generally of the opinion that none of my beliefs should be imposed on others.

But voluntary euthanasia is an issue that i 110% believe should be legal. I can't see the argument for forcing someone in agonising pain who wants to die, is going to die and is incapable of killing themselves to live on through it all. Unlike most such topics, it's something i can see a possibility of affecting me in later life. If someone has a contrary argument i'd genuinely like to hear it provided there's nothing religious involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    The entire area is a minefield, I do agree that someone in a terrible state should be able to take the decision to end their own life, but to encompass this into law and make it legal would open up a massive can of worms over issues of morality etc...

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Made a thread on this a while back.

I can sort of see why people have a problem with abortion but not euthanasia, the only argument against I can find is something the prime minister said about people who might be forced into euthanasia, which is an half decent reason, but closely monitered I dont think you can deny people in unimaginable pain the right to die.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    "Pro-Suicide" is a bit of a loaded way of putting it, but yeah I guess so, I think people of a sound mind should in special circumstances be allowed to chose whether to terminate their life or not..
    Key point 'sound mind'. That's the difference between suicide and euthanasia.

In some ways, it really doesn't matter if it's legal or not; doctors have been 'ending the suffering' of patients since time immemorial.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Illness with no hope of recovery and a lot of suffering with the paitents permission? Yes.
    Illness with no hope of recovery and a lot of suffereing with a paitent unable to make an informed decision? Harder to answer and that is what happens in a lot of cases. Who should decide? The family and the health professionals? What about the possibility they are acting on their own best interests?

I think Euthanasia is morally permissible but legally? There are so many possible problems with it that I don't really trust the world we live in today to not make a balls up of.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Illness with no hope of recovery and a lot of suffering with the paitents permission? Yes.
    Illness with no hope of recovery and a lot of suffereing with a paitent unable to make an informed decision? Harder to answer and that is what happens in a lot of cases. Who should decide? The family and the health professionals? What about the possibility they are acting on their own best interests?

I think Euthanasia is morally permissible but legally? There are so many possible problems with it that I don't really trust the world we live in today to not make a balls up of.
    My thoughts entirely tbh.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think Euthanasia should be a choice someone living with a terminal disease can make for themselves. If they outline clearly what they want to happen should they reach a certain point I don't see the problem.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    I agree in theory that Euthinasia should be legal but as mentioned its a system that could be abused. For all the people it will "help put out of their misery" if it goes wrong just once and someone dies when they werent 100% willing etc... then thats one more person than should have died.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Key point 'sound mind'. That's the difference between suicide and euthanasia.
    are you saying anyone committing suicide has to necessarily be of unsound mind? not speaking for or against suicide but i don't know if it can be generalized like that...

on the topic, euthanasia should definitely be legal, like abortion...the main stand against it is that it contravenes one religious morality or the other and that obviously is the stupidest reason possible(for those who don't believe in that)...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information