Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384
Results 1,246 to 1,257 of 1257

Thread: What camera do you own?

when i find you i'll need a laser rifle, ****
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Mate of mine works for Olympus, so I'm thinking of hitting him up for one of their DSLRs. Anyone have any clues as to whether they're much chop, or would I be better off just getting another brand even though it's likely to be a bit cheaper to run with the Olympus once the staff discount* is applied.

*He hopefully knocks one off.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Mate of mine works for Olympus, so I'm thinking of hitting him up for one of their DSLRs. Anyone have any clues as to whether they're much chop, or would I be better off just getting another brand even though it's likely to be a bit cheaper to run with the Olympus once the staff discount* is applied.

*He hopefully knocks one off.

Mate, I'd hit him up for the Olympus OMD EM-5 if I were you, it's a great camera! It's the same as a DSLR pretty much, except smaller body - you can still change the lenses. Much easier to carry around. Olympus are better know for this camera than they are DSLRs as far as I know.

If you can really twist his arm, then the OMD EM-1 is the new latest and greatest. I'm not sure if it's even released yet - but it's not far off.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Cheers mate. I'm really not that into photography given my melon, but it would be nice to have a good camera to play around with.

The little OMDs are perfect - they have everything you find on a DSLR, but they fit into a little bag (or a large pocket). If you find yourself getting interested in doing a little more with it then there are different lenses etc you can buy, and the picture quality is good at night as well as during the day (something most point and shoot and iphones struggle with). When you're looking at DSLRs then sensor size is a big thing, and the OMD has the same size sensor as a normal DSLR - it's an amazing little camera.

I nearly bought one at Harvey Norman a while back when they were having a massive sale...but in a moment of clarity realised I don't need two cameras that are both really good, just so I can leave one in the cupboard all the time.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 01-10-2013 at 09:33 PM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    It arrived yesterday. I may have to invest in some more underpants, I'll be going through them at a rapid rate with this in my hands. It's awesome.
    Congrats SoC. You are going to love it. I added the 1dx to my gear a few months ago. I was very reluctant to do so since the 5dmkiii was doing everything I wanted but I was really very keen to get my hands on it after all I had read. There were a lot of ways, big and small in which it was better but none of it, by itself, justified the ridiculous price. Finally, I bought it purely to indulge myself. Then a few days later my wife and daughter said they were going for Garba (a traditional Gujarati dance) Fest . I thought I might try out my new body so I attached the 70-200 to the 1dx and went with them.

The light wasn't great and I don't use a flash so it was the best time to test its very highly acclaimed high ISO capabilities. I must have shot a couple of hundred frames, invariably between 3200 and 12500 ISO. The noise levels were amazingly low. It is very expensive and one should not be buying it unless there is specific need for it but it surely gave awesome results.

By the way, I have also added the 200-400 with the built in TC (and sold my 500mm and 300mm primes) and am dying to go on safari :o)
    Last edited by SJS; 21-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks SJS! The same to you on the purchase of the 1Dx...I've had a muck around with one at a uni photography club equipment night, but it will be a long, long time before my bank account lets me even think about purchasing one! I haven't had a lot of opportunity to get used to the 5DMkIII's focusing capabilities yet (amongst other functions), but now study is out of the way for the year I'm looking forward to getting into it a bit more.

I made a decision with the head instead of the heart recently to get the 17-40mm f4L for wide-angle stuff too...I had thought about the 16-35mm for a while, but don't really need to spend another $800 for f2.8 that I won't use that often! It's rare I use common sense when it comes to photo gear, so I'm somewhat proud of myself haha

How is the 200-400mm? I've read about it, but haven't had a chance to see one in real life yet. I'm still getting used to going from a crop body to full frame. All of a sudden my 200mm lens doesn't seem to be getting me that close!

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    So, Nikon DF. Pretty much frothed all over the videos
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Thanks SJS! The same to you on the purchase of the 1Dx...I've had a muck around with one at a uni photography club equipment night, but it will be a long, long time before my bank account lets me even think about purchasing one! I haven't had a lot of opportunity to get used to the 5DMkIII's focusing capabilities yet (amongst other functions), but now study is out of the way for the year I'm looking forward to getting into it a bit more.

I made a decision with the head instead of the heart recently to get the 17-40mm f4L for wide-angle stuff too...I had thought about the 16-35mm for a while, but don't really need to spend another $800 for f2.8 that I won't use that often! It's rare I use common sense when it comes to photo gear, so I'm somewhat proud of myself haha

How is the 200-400mm? I've read about it, but haven't had a chance to see one in real life yet. I'm still getting used to going from a crop body to full frame. All of a sudden my 200mm lens doesn't seem to be getting me that close!
    Ha ha. I will ignore the using the head bit although if my heart could have had a say I would have done this and other things decades ago. It is more my age and a clear idea that I need to indulge myself before I kick the bucket :o) I did not dream even of buying any SLR when I was your age trust me. . . and you will buy something better than a 1dx long before you turn 63 !!

I haven't yet got around using it. A safari planned for next summer will really be the first time I will make use of it. I have tried it of course and it is absolutely awesome. I would't have sole the 300 f/2.8 AND the 500 f/4 if I did not think so. Of course I miss the light weight of the 300 and don't have anything left for birds in flight and hand-holding :o(

Re crop versus full frame, yes they give you reach but as you will find with the 5d mmiii, so good is the quality with full frame you soon forget about the reach. With full frame bodies, the newer generation of lenses (particularly the primes) it is better to use the TC's than crop bodies for the extra reach. The results are superb and remember the 5d mmiii has more megapixels which compensates for some of the reach despite the cropping.

I have absolutely no doubt the longer you use the 5dmkiii the lesser you will pick up the crop body.

Yeah I think you're right SJS. Now I have the wide-angle for the 5D MkIII I can't see myself picking up the 40D very often, unless there's a (very) specific time when I need the 200mm to be 360mm, as I can't afford the TCs yet. Glad to hear you're following your heart with your purchases too, you don't work hard all your life to not indulge yourself when you get the chance. I have perhaps over-indulged this year (despite claims to be following my head on this latest lens purchase) and have a 5D MkIII, a set of Lee filters, a 600EX speed light and ST E3 RT trigger to show for it (amongst other things I've forgotten I'm sure). I still need to learn how to use basically all of them properly haha

Add a trip to Korea for 2 weeks in January next year and 4 days in Tasmania to see a mate in Feb and the head hasn't been getting a work out that much this year really! The first trip will be the first time my wife has been back to Korea since we left 3 years ago though, and the second is to see a mate I haven't caught up with in 5 years. Having lost a few people close to me the past year or so, I decided prioritising catching up with people and making sure your loved ones see the people close to them is far more important than sitting on savings. Not sure lens purchases fit into this ideal though...I guess someone needs to have the equipment to document the reunions!

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

#poutine #nofilter
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

thought that was a zinger pie at first glance
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 3474828384

Thread Information