Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: What camera do you own?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Here's some from my camera. These may be huge though??

>>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Can you change the aperture (f) setting on the Powershot S5? If so an aperture of around 13-18 is good for landscape shots by all reports...not much use in a moving car though at sunset

Nice shots mate, you did really well on the move!

Some nice shots from Q1 too Craig! My only tip would be to pay careful attention to the horizon and try to make sure you have it level in your shot. Unless you're trying to be particularly arty of course That and get a tripod for the night shots. I like the last one.
    I actually was with a pro photographer that day and I was using his tripod. Everything was taken with a 70mm zoom. I will try and get more photos from Japan and Vietnam up in the next few days.

BTW Heef, nice photos, especially the bird (what type is it) one. I'm surprised you were able to get such a close up. Where you using your big lenses to take those photos?
    Last edited by Craig; 26-06-2009 at 01:23 AM.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

A 1/1600 exposure though is quite a short one, which suggests (as your camera was on auto) that the light conditions were pretty good.

The f number is a bit more complicated to explain, but I think (in my knowledge as a layman) generally equates to sharpness of the picture. You will generally have a better sharpness of image and resolution if you are able to use a lower f number. I think it equates to how much light you are able to get into the camera in a particular exposure and is a factor of lens diameter and focal length of the length.

I think you can get quite low f numbers in short focal length lenses, but the really expensive lenses will have a long focal length (and thus "zoom") but still have a low f number.
    Yeah, it's hard to explain but basically a lower 'f' no. (Like 2.8) will see less of the shot in focus than a higher 'f' no (like 22) as far as I understand it
    (It's called 'Depth of Field' I think). So if you were shooting a portrait and you wanted the background blurred out you'd shot with a low f no. like 2.8. If you're shooting something where you want as much of the shot in focus as possible then you'd go higher into the 10's-20's etc. In low light though you need a tripod or a nice solid wall if you're going to use high aperture no's as you're letting less light into the camera than with low no's like f2.8.

Basically you balance your aperture with your shutter speed to get the shot you want under the conditions I think.

Or something like that Saw a good diagram to explain it on a camera forum, I'll post it if I can find it again this weekend.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 26-06-2009 at 02:12 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I actually was with a pro photographer that day and I was using his tripod. Everything was taken with a 70mm zoom. I will try and get more photos from Japan and Vietnam up in the next few days.
    I thought the last one looked pretty clear. Another tip is if you're taking shots from a tripod and you don't have a remote switch use the timer setting on the camera so it has time to settle after you've pressed the shutter release button. I use the 10 sec timer when I have the time so it can stop shaking before it takes the shot.

Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    My camera takes pictures.
    No ****.

BTW I like your photos NP.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Liking the first one heef.

That's interesting re aperture. I'm pretty sure there is a way to change that but don't have the camera handy to check. Also interesting about higher aperture. The following picture was taken with at f/7.1, twice as much as the sunset pic. Wonder what made the camera decide that.

RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Liking the first one heef.

That's interesting re aperture. I'm pretty sure there is a way to change that but don't have the camera handy to check. Also interesting about higher aperture. The following picture was taken with at f/7.1, twice as much as the sunset pic. Wonder what made the camera decide that.

It might be because you're not moving in that picture (I assume haha) and so the camera could balance a lower shutter speed with a higher aperture to take the shot. In the first sunset from a moving vehicle the focus points may have picked up on movement in the frame and decided you needed to let as much light in as possible to allow you to shoot at a high shutter speed. If you took the first shot standing still you might get different settings again.

That might be completely wrong, but I think that's how it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I thought the last one looked pretty clear. Another tip is if you're taking shots from a tripod and you don't have a remote switch use the timer setting on the camera so it has time to settle after you've pressed the shutter release button. I use the 10 sec timer when I have the time so it can stop shaking before it takes the shot.
    The last one I posted, I took about 7 or 8 photos and using the remote switch, just to try and get it right.

What's that waterway in your pics, Craig?

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    What's that waterway in your pics, Craig?
    Yeah we have lots of canels on the Gold Coast. Nothing like Venice of course. That said I wouldn't swim in the canels either, unless getting attacked by a Bull Shark is your thing

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Yeah we have lots of canels on the Gold Coast. Nothing like Venice of course. That said I wouldn't swim in the canels either, unless getting attacked by a Bull Shark is your thing
    I had no idea about those. I'm a sucker for cityscapes, I love those you've taken.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I had no idea about those. I'm a sucker for cityscapes, I love those you've taken.
    Thanks. The 3rd photo I posted up is my current desktop The photos were taken 230m up! (link)

Some more from a town called Hue, about the half way point between Hanoi and Saigon (used to be where the old border was for North and South Vietnam).

From my hotel balcony
    Last edited by Craig; 27-06-2009 at 03:54 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    Some randoms from the Winter holidays

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

A few pics from canon I took during the last couple of months. It includes one in HDR, one from a village and a mosque in Lahore.

Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

That is pretty good

Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread Information