Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: What camera do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    To other Australians?

I was referring to buying things internationally on ebay. You can get heaps of stuff like filters and other accessories dirt cheap from sellers in Malaysia, Thailand, China, etc. Haven't had any problems.

But then again I'm not (that much of) a ****.
    Yeah that and I've had a few bad experiences, and some of ebay's rules that I disagree with. But it's partly them and the fact they own PayPal who I find to be absolute ****s. I hate having to ring India (I know everybody does it) and speak to people with the most fake American accents, and hate it when they freeze your (3rd person 'your') and say it was to stop 'money laundering', and I have to fax photocopies of my personal information there so they 'can verify my identity' and so I can access my money, and without being trying to sound racist, I simply don't trust the people at the other end who won't make copies of my information, and use it to their gain (and FTR I don't trust people here either). That, and they seem to be rather hard to contact, like they have something to hide. Anyway I'm going way off topic.

As for buying stuff from China, I actually found I could get the same camera that I own for roughly $350US cheaper from a site called ioffer (it's not so much an auction site, but more of a wholesaler where you can haggle the price), but obviously you don't get much of a warranty for a knockoff (the Sony that I own is made in Japan, the lenses are made in China).
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Yeah that and I've had a few bad experiences, and some of ebay's rules that I disagree with. But it's partly them and the fact they own PayPal who I find to be absolute ****s. I hate having to ring India (I know everybody does it) and speak to people with the most fake American accents, and hate it when they freeze your (3rd person 'your') and say it was to stop 'money laundering', and I have to fax photocopies of my personal information there so they 'can verify my identity' and so I can access my money, and without being trying to sound racist, I simply don't trust the people at the other end who won't make copies of my information, and use it to their gain (and FTR I don't trust people here either). That, and they seem to be rather hard to contact, like they have something to hide. Anyway I'm going way off topic.

As for buying stuff from China, I actually found I could get the same camera that I own for roughly $350US cheaper from a site called ioffer (it's not so much an auction site, but more of a wholesaler where you can haggle the price), but obviously you don't get much of a warranty for a knockoff (the Sony that I own is made in Japan, the lenses are made in China).
    You do know they're forced to do that because you guys can't understand the Indian accent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    You do know they're forced to do that because you guys can't understand the Indian accent?
    Me, personally, if I can talk to a person who can barely speak a word of English, then the Indian accent is not a problem for me. But hey, some people are idiots. And yeah, I understand the reasons, but I'm not a fan of it, I just think to myself 'mate, could you be any more obvious?'.
    Last edited by Craig; 10-10-2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: clarify

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Been going through Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, so I can work off manual, but fmd, this is hard work.
    I've got that book, it's really good.

His tips for metering (what to aim at in the shot initially to get a correct exposure) are great. I just went through it again and highlighted the bits that are extra useful.

Basically, if you're looking to use manual, you either:

- choose the aperture you want and then adjust the shutter speed until the light meter in the camera tells you the exposure is correct (this is if you're looking to control what is in focus and what isn't).

- choose the shutter speed you want and then adjust the aperture until the exposure is correct (if you're taking a photo of fast moving things and want to freeze them, or fast moving things you want blurry (waterfalls) etc.

- Choose the ISO you want to suit the conditions (need more light, go up to 800 or 1600 - if your camera can handle it, other times use whatever's necessary.)

That's pretty much it.

Then he tells you that a correct exposure isn't always a creative one, so that's where you have to make decisions about what you want from the shot.

To be honest though mate, you may not shoot in manual mode all that often. You can stick it on AV mode if you're focusing on aperture and it'll do the other bit. Vice versa with TV mode for shutter speed.

There'll be situations where you'll have to take over and set everything though, so it's good to know. The relationship between ISO, shutter speed, and aperture is the fundamental principle in photography too I think.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

As for Ebay, have bought a couple of things. Mostly without a hassle. Did get an extra battery for my Canon G7 before I went away and it was a dud. Contacted the guy straight away and he agreed to refund my money no questions asked...which I took to mean he knew it was **** when he sent it

Would be very careful buying cameras and lenses off there though. I bought a filter and it was fine.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Been going through Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, so I can work off manual, but fmd, this is hard work.
    It gets easier. Give it a little time (and practice) and you'll have a lightbulb moment where it all starts to make perfect sense.

I teach classes, and for the first two weeks of my intro class all I talk about is exposure to people with glazed eyes and baffled looks. To a man, though, everyone gets the idea by the end of the course and exposure becomes almost second nature to them.

I haven't read that book, but the easiest way to get your head around exposure is to put ISO right out of the equation (set it to 400 and forget it) and just work out the relationship between shutter speed and aperture. Once you understand how to balance the relationship between them, work out the differences between the metering modes, and once you're all set with that start working on ISO. By that stage, it'll all start making sense.

Also, either set your camera to adjust exposure in full stops (instead of 1/2 or 1/3 stops) or memorise the full stop increments for each of the exposure controls. That way you'll start getting your head around the effect that altering one exposure control has on the others.
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Here's a photo I took a little while ago here in Ulsan. Will have to head back and see if I can get a bicycle crossing I think, as that was the original idea:

Great shot SoC.

A few from around the beaches in summer (in the evening):

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Jesus, those are so awesome dude! I love the fluorescent colours on the first one.

I feel like I end up saying this everytime you post, but they really are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    What are the two things in the last picture? At first I assumed they're street-lights but then how and what are the lights going around them? Is Korea genetically engineering flamboyant fireflies?

Great photos as usual, SoC
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Thanks guys.

The lights in the last one are lit pinwheels that are attached to the poles you can see. I think the genetic engineering of fireflies has been banned in Korea, 'flamboyance' doesn't exist here. Hence the lack of a Mardi Gras!

There's a great-looking pedestrian bridge just to the left of these pinwheels. The official photographer for the World Cup Windsurfing tour took a great shot of these pinwheels and the bridge...was trying to do the same, but couldn't work out where he took it from. Think he was on a roof somewhere.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    How does one post images from flickr here

I have no idea SJS...it used to be easy, but they changed something. I post images here from Photobucket, it's really easy. Am a member of another forum that has a 'how to' section for posting from Flikr. Should've read it a while back, so will do so and let you know.

Here are a few from today. Went to the Grand Park here in Ulsan as it's autumn. Lots of pretty leaves, the aim was to take photos of some. Hopefully you find them riveting!

On the way into the park:

These leaves just wanted to reach out to someone:

Didn't realise there was a dragonfly on the leaf on the left until I got home and looked...would've focused on the little bastard if I did!

Think I should've torn off the leaf partially blocking the in-focus one, but I still kind of like it:

More leaves:

Feeding the fish or choosing dinner, you be the judge:

Does anyone have any good tripod advice too?

Have been looking at the 055XPROB...but may push out to something like the 055CXPRO3 as it's a lot cheaper here than in Australia (can get one for around $300).

Have also been looking at Feisol and Benro tripods in carbon fibre.

Will probably get the Markins Q3 ball-head, as that should keep me going for quite a while (provided I don't lose the whole thing again )

Too bad, I had a photo to post, but it was too big.
    Last edited by Craig; 09-11-2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: photo too big

Page 55 of 85 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread Information