Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: What camera do you own?

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Has anyone used the old SLRs? Was wondering what the go was with focus etc. Obviously the dSLR's tell you when you're underexposed or overexposed when you look in the viewfinder. What did they use in the old SLRs? I've never used one so I have no idea. Was it just a matter of knowing which settings to use in a given environment or was there in-camera help?
    Both. The later SLRs had TTL (Through-the-lens) light meters, so there'd be an exposure indicator within the viewfinder. Obviously, they were mostly analogue- a typical light meter indicator was a +/- scale along the side of the finder, with a needle swinging between the two as you adjusted you exposure.

Older SLRs had no internal light meter. Your options were to either use an external light meter or you had to rely on your eye and a few general rules (like the Sunny 16 rule, for example) to expose properly.
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

I am back. These were taken in malmo, sweden. One is the main mosque in the city and a picture of my friends living their.

I will definetly post more pictures when i visit cricketweb again.
    Wasim Akram: The most sKiLlFuL bowler in history!

Mcgrath said he is fond of the genius "Akram would power through the crease and do whatever he wanted with the old and new ball"

Allan Border "If I ever get a chance to be reborn as a cricketer, I would want to be Wasim"

Richards, Tendulkar and Waugh described Akram as the most dangerous bowler they had ever faced.

> > > Wasims Magic Delivery. Late Swing. Hatrick. < < <

Pinball Champion!
    They're great to use, I was always a little scared of them But they're pretty easy to use when you get the hang of it. Much steeper learning curve than point and shoots obviously but the sooner you start the sooner you get better.

Has anyone used the old SLRs? Was wondering what the go was with focus etc. Obviously the dSLR's tell you when you're underexposed or overexposed when you look in the viewfinder. What did they use in the old SLRs? I've never used one so I have no idea. Was it just a matter of knowing which settings to use in a given environment or was there in-camera help?

Saw a camera shop in Busan (a city 45 mins from here) that sold second-hand lenses for the old-style cameras. There were Hasselblad lenses there, which are ridiculously expensive for digital cameras, and they were about a thousand dollars for the ancient versions. The one I saw had 'Made in West Germany' on it so I wondered if it was a collector's item
    With old DSLRs you usually use a light meter, kind of like the one an umpire would have, and then set your camera up accordingly.. I've used them a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Bought a tri-pod a month or so ago. A Manfrotto.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Various pictures from Johor Bahru:

Picasa Web Albums - dark_elf_1998 - Hotel Views

Got a nice range so far, but no violent thunderstorm yet.

Haven't decided what camera/lens I'm getting, but will definitely get some more professional gear next year. Also have to decide where to get it from - obviously stuff is way cheaper in America for instance than rip off Britain. Current camera is a Canon 40D with a 70-300mm 4-5.6f lens. I hardly spend any money so doing a bit of photography along with Scrabble is very feasible for me.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Pinball Champion!
    Have been enjoying some good results with my Canon 400.. managed to do this while flying the plane too

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Love that top one Hingeh
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Excellent pics Langeveldt..!!!!
    I am posting a few pics from my trip to malmo and manchester..a mixture of both...with friends..!!

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Good stuff, both of you.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Various pictures from Johor Bahru:

Picasa Web Albums - dark_elf_1998 - Hotel Views

Got a nice range so far, but no violent thunderstorm yet.

Haven't decided what camera/lens I'm getting, but will definitely get some more professional gear next year. Also have to decide where to get it from - obviously stuff is way cheaper in America for instance than rip off Britain. Current camera is a Canon 40D with a 70-300mm 4-5.6f lens. I hardly spend any money so doing a bit of photography along with Scrabble is very feasible for me.
    Yeah I'm currently looking at rearranging the lenses I have slightly. I say currently, I think it started as a pimple on my arse about 6 months ago and is now a festering boil that will probably never go away again.

I currently have the 17-85mm 4.5-5.6 (or something like that), the 50mm 1.8 II (early Christmas present, got it today), 100mm 2.8 macro and the 70-200mm f4 L...am looking to get rid of the 17-85mm at some stage and get the 24-105mm f4 L IS. I think I just saw one at the camera store here for a reasonable price, but I have to go back and check its got IS. I'm justifying this due to the fact that if I eventually upgrade camera bodies then the 17-85 is an EF-S lens and won't be usable on a 5D Mk II etc.

Pissweak reasoning to spend a possible $1200, but anyway. An addiction can't be fully conquered.

I was going to get rid of the 100mm macro, but I like the idea of having the f2.8 and it's a really nice lens. Came close, but then decided to keep it.

Then I have to find something that covers the wide angle range. Would go for the Canon 10-22mm but that's an EF-S lens too. Will have to do some research.

Also like the 17-40mm 2.8L but that's about $400 dearer than the 24-105mm. I've been bitten by the L lens bug I think. The 70-200mm is an absolute cracker. I find myself looking at my 17-85mm like it's the ugly stepsister, but it still serves a purpose.

And nice photos guys, are some of those shots HDR godofcricket?
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 05-12-2009 at 01:08 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

This is making me motivated to go out and take a whole lot of photos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    This is making me motivated to go out and take a whole lot of photos tomorrow.
    Haha, me too! What say we meet up at Ulsan Bridge at 1pm!?

Been heading out a bit this week befor work, just throwing on a different lens and taking whatever shots I can. Looking forward to trying out the 50mm, I want to take more portrait shots as I lean towards scenery and knowing how to take a good shot of someone would be great.

Haha, me too! What say we meet up at Ulsan Bridge at 1pm!?

Been heading out a bit this week befor work, just throwing on a different lens and taking whatever shots I can. Looking forward to trying out the 50mm, I want to take more portrait shots as I lean towards scenery and knowing how to take a good shot of someone would be great.
    I knew there was a reason why I had to be Korea. I'm probably going to go up to Q1. I have a yearly pass and I should use it a bit more since it will expire soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I knew there was a reason why I had to be Korea. I'm probably going to go up to Q1. I have a yearly pass and I should use it a bit more since it will expire soon.
    So you can build up as much dust as possible in all your lenses? My 17-85mm has a speck of dust on the inside of the lens which shows up on some pics. I'm blaming Korea. I have to get it removed if possible. The fact the 70-200mm f4 IS was dustproof almost persuaded me to pay the extra $600 over the non-IS because I knew I'd have it here in Korea. Was a reason why I avoided the extendable barrel on the 70-300mm too. It's thick over here (the dust that is).

Here are some pics from Korea and my Australian trip. I met up with Craig one afternoon at Burleigh and we took some photos of surfing etc:

Flower @ the Onggi Pottery Factory in Ulsan

Kids on a temple wall in Busan (posted this before in B&W

The rock wall at Kingscliff

Cheeky little bastard at Lorne, Victoria on our Great Ocean Rd trip

Skimming rocks on the beach near the sign for the start of The Great Ocean Rd

Last edited by Son Of Coco; 05-12-2009 at 07:53 AM.

And...almost forgot the Burleigh shots:

Some bloke surfing at Burleigh

Another bloke surfing at Burleigh

'He's drowned love, you'd better come home with me!'

Blackhawk Down over Burleigh

Engaging stalker mode again. This time in Lorne, Vic.

And, the moon

Sorry for getting a bit carried away, had a heap of shots from travels etc and thought there were a few decent ones.

Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread Information