Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No one in our house works?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar

No one in our house works?

What the hell?

How is this possible? She is in her forties and has never had a job?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    We have loads of people like that here. Laziness, lack of initiative, and generally not motivated.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

People need to learn that " Work" In the sense of doing something backbreaking for someone who gets 10 times as much and does 10 times as little isn't the only way to make money, be your own boss I say.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 02-12-2008 at 12:06 PM.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    It's the problem with the ****ed up benefit system and the vast quantity of lazy people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    People need to learn that " Work" In the sense of doing something backbreaking for someone who gets 10 times as much and does 10 times as little isn't the only way to make money, be your own bass I say.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha, love those fish things.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What the hell?

How is this possible? She is in her forties and has never had a job?
    As someone that as lived in both the USA and UK, the British attitude on topics like this is impossible to explain in a way that is understood to an American.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Have a 'friend' that's 23 and has never had a job. Did give him the 'sort your life out ffs' talk, his response was along the lines of 'oh but i sent out like 30 applications for stuff and got rejected for them all'.

Aside from the fact he's got a seriously dire attitude in general, the longer he goes without working, the harder it'll be to get anything other than binman due to people looking at an empty CV bar an English degree and thinking naah, would rather have the one with no qualifications but worked in Somerfield for years.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

As someone who works in the provision of benefits I can confirm that the case study SS linked to is not that uncommon. Unfortunately one of the by-products of universal welfare provision is the quote-unquote "professional" claimant.

As a good liberal until I started working in a Job Centre I found it hard to believe people would seriously get themselves pregnant for the easy ride a bin-lid gives them, but it's unfortunately one of the Daily Mail stereotypes that is all too true: leave school with no qualifications, sign on for a few months, get impregnated by some spotty little skag-head & move into the flat provided by the local authority a few months later.

HM Govt is currently trying to get more single mothers looking for work (previously any single parent with a child under 16 was exempt from job seeking, this had now been reduced to 12 and will ultimately become 7), but it's lip service. We don't have the staff to make it stick and, with the collapse of the western financial system as we know it, things are going to get a sight worse over the next 12 months. Just to give you an idea of how dire things are, since september our signing-on register has gone up from about 520 to just over 700. That's an increase of over a third in three months.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Forgive me Brumby, this must sound a bit insensitive, but..

What the hell is a clearly very intelligent bloke like you doing working in a benefits office or whatever??

I would hate to wish misfortune on anyone, but the welfare system should not be designed for people like this. It should help working people, or those actively looking for work, or if you are somehow disabled. If you can work, and choose not to, it seems ludicrous to get paid anything. I don't understand this at all. You can't just subsidize people who can work but choose not to!

Let me get this straight, she wanted to work, but never got around to looking for a job. She wanted to join the army, but never got around to the recruitment office. I bet she got around to filling out welfare forms though.

Now, my family owns a business in the US, and believe me, we get deadbeats just living off the government too, but I don't think it's this bad!

I don't think that level of subsidy is sustainable in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Forgive me Brumby, this must sound a bit insensitive, but..

What the hell is a clearly very intelligent bloke like you doing working in a benefits office or whatever??
    Indolence, basically. It's a fairly cushy job (has its moments, but I'm a large bloke so don't get much grief) and it's literally ten minutes walk from my front door.

Keep thinking about changing, but honestly doubt I'll find something as convenient and such a doss.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I would hate to wish misfortune on anyone, but the welfare system should not be designed for people like this. It should help working people, or those actively looking for work, or if you are somehow disabled. If you can work, and choose not to, it seems ludicrous to get paid anything. I don't understand this at all. You can't just subsidize people who can work but choose not to!

Let me get this straight, she wanted to work, but never got around to looking for a job. She wanted to join the army, but never got around to the recruitment office. I bet she got around to filling out welfare forms though.

Now, my family owns a business in the US, and believe me, we get deadbeats just living off the government too, but I don't think it's this bad!
    The philosophy behind it is not visiting the sins of the parents on the children. The idea is to provide a decent standard of living for children even in the poorest households.

As I mentioned in my first post tho, this unfortunately has the knock-on effect of children themselves becoming desireable for the work-shy. An 18 year old girl with a sprog will get more money and a much easier ride from the social than one without.

This, of course, becomes a cycle of abuse: children grow up in an environmnent where no-one works and work isn't valued, so very probably end up going down the same route.

If we were given carte blanche we could get about 95% of these ****ers back to work, but the civil liberties and human rights brigade would have a field day, so we're largely stuck with it.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The philosophy behind it is not visiting the sins of the parents on the children. The idea is to provide a decent standard of living for children even in the poorest households.
    One of my sisters (a Cambridge Grad, ex-Home Office Whitehall civil servant and now a very well paid employee of a top accountancy firm) believes that people that dont want to work should be paid not to work in order to provide a decent standard of living for their children. She would pay extra tax to pay for this 'child protection'

Its absolute madness of course but that line of thinking is quite strong in upper-level British educated liberal elite.

Apart from the economic consequences, the fairness issues and the tax burden falling massively on the productive members of society, rather than protect the children it actually teaches them all the wrong lessons about life.
    Last edited by Goughy; 02-12-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information