Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrorism in India

still scratching around in the same old hole

Terrorism in India

Now I know a number of posters have mentioned in other threads that they see no difference between the dangers in Pakistan and India. However, I always saw the situation a little differently. In light of todays events, I thought Id research the dangers more closely than I have done before for my own education.

Ignoring the most recent, by my count there have been 128 terrorist acts in India that involved a minimum of one death since the begining of 2006.

That is roughly 1 a week. I know its a big country, but that shocked me.

By comparisson there were 105 in Pakistan for the same period (though given population size differences the number for Pakistan is far larger).

(There is a small chance of reports being duplicated in the source evidence)

In comparison, the UK has had 0 and the USA has had 1 (an incident Im suprised Id never heard of)

"One woman was killed and five other injured when Naveed Afzal Haq, a Muslim-American man, opened fire on the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle building in downtown Seattle. Haq entered the building, expressed his anger toward Israel and the US war in Iraq, and began shooting. Haq allegedly told police that it was a hostage situation and wanted the US to get weapons out of Israel. Haq eventually surrendered to police and was taken into custody. He now faces either life in prison or execution."

Anyway, I still (from my remote perspective) see Pakistan as far more dangerous and lawless but how do others see Indian security evolving over the forseeable future?

It isnt an issue that I pretend to know much about, so what are the politics of terrorism in India and its future?
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-11-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Now I know a number of posters have mentioned in other threads that they see no difference between the dangers in Pakistan and India. However, I always saw the situation a little differently. In light of todays events, I thought Id research the dangers more closely than I have done before for my own education.

Ignoring the most recent, by my count there have been 128 terrorist acts in India that involved a minimum of one death since the begining of 2006.

That is roughly 1 a week. I know its a big country, but that shocked me.

By comparisson there were 105 in Pakistan for the same period (though given population size differences the number for Pakistan is far larger).

(There is a small chance of reports being duplicated in the source evidence)

In comparison, the UK has had 0 and the USA has had 1 (an incident Im suprised Id never heard of)

"One woman was killed and five other injured when Naveed Afzal Haq, a Muslim-American man, opened fire on the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle building in downtown Seattle. Haq entered the building, expressed his anger toward Israel and the US war in Iraq, and began shooting. Haq allegedly told police that it was a hostage situation and wanted the US to get weapons out of Israel. Haq eventually surrendered to police and was taken into custody. He now faces either life in prison or execution."

Anyway, I still (from my remote perspective) see Pakistan as far more dangerous and lawless but how do others see Indian security evolving over the forseeable future?

It isnt an issue that I pretend to know much about, so what are the politics of terrorism in India and its future?
    Though I am not denying that Pak can be dangerous at these times but most of our attacks are concentrated in the Waziristan reigon which is where US led WoT is going on, while attacks in India seems to be more widely distrubuted hence there could be more unpredictibility attached to it.

In Pak if you can avoid the Frontier reigon along with say a major city like Islamabad then you are relativley safe but same cannot be said about India I feel.

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    Thing what annoys me is that it only becomes big news here when someone British is killed.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    News priority means a story is more important when it becomes more personal, therefore Western world disasters are dealt with more prominently in Western world countries than something happening elsewhere. And when that does happen they relate to it through the means of Westerners.

I hate it too.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Seems to fit the profile of school shooting more than an act of terrorism.

(Not that a school shooting can't be defined as terrorism, of course, but then the US has had more than one)
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    Thing what annoys me is that it only becomes big news here when someone British is killed.
    Solution: don't simply get your news from the British media. I sure as hell don't.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    A lot of us have been saying that. Pakistan, especially where Tests are usually played, is certainly not more dangerous than any part of India. Sri Lanka is quite possibly more dangerous than both.

However, you have to separate it out by region - no cricket team will be playing in Kashmir, or going near there. Same things with parts of Pakistan.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    I didnt know one had. Thats not really relevant to my question here.

Banned
    Why the seperate thread?

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    A lot of us have been saying that. Pakistan, especially where Tests are usually played, is certainly not more dangerous than any part of India. Sri Lanka is quite possibly more dangerous than both.

However, you have to separate it out by region - no cricket team will be playing in Kashmir, or going near there. Same things with parts of Pakistan.
    For the period in question 2006+, Sri Lanka had 62 fatal terrorist attacks. To add perspective, Russia had 29, Brazil had 0, South Africa had 0 and all Western Europe combined had 4

As mentioned above, India had 128, Pakistan had 105, UK had 0 and USA had 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    Why the seperate thread?
    Seperate question about the wider scheme of things and background.
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-11-2008 at 08:55 AM.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    New Zealand with our one case of international terrorism back in 1985.

Who was responsible?

The French.

Banned
    If am not mistaken, atleast half of those attacks are in Kashmir, where sadly it is almsot out of hand.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    New Zealand with our one case of international terrorism back in 1985.

Who was responsible?

The French.
    The French government is a disgrace, Mitterrand was nothing better than a war criminal. I have no respect for that country whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Precambrian View Post
    If am not mistaken, atleast half of those attacks are in Kashmir, where sadly it is almsot out of hand.
    From what I can see with the information I have (Lawson Terrorism Information Center), that isnt accurate for the examples I see.

Most stem from rebel Maoists, people opposed to Communist Party of India-Marxist and the United Liberation Front of Assam.

Most outside Kashmir.

EDIT- This is because incidents in Kashmir are often listed in Kashmir rather and India etc. There were 50 fatal attacks taking place in Kashmir seperate to the numbers listed above for India.
    Last edited by Goughy; 27-11-2008 at 09:55 AM.

Banned
    Link please? There mainly 3 threats to India :

a. Terrorism as in the global thing, jehad etc
    b. ULFA trying to "liberate" state of Assam. Dying now though.
    c. Naxals of Die hard communist parties operating in hinterlands of Bihar, Jharkand, AP.

I'd regard only the first as wholly affecting the nation. The other two have been there for a long time, and is not a threat for the entire country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information