View Poll Results: Are the UK and Australia become more or less racist?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australian - Yes, more racist than 10 years ago

2 6.67%
  • Australian - No, less racist than 10 years ago

6 20.00%
  • Australian - As racist as 10 years ago

3 10.00%
  • British - Yes, more racist than 10 years ago

2 6.67%
  • British - No, less racist than 10 years ago

4 13.33%
  • British - As racist as 10 years ago

0 0%
  • Weird Al Yankovich

13 43.33%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are the UK and Australia becoming more or less racist?

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!

Are the UK and Australia becoming more or less racist?

Was thinking about this earlier on today and talking with some friends about it. I said that I thought England was generally becoming a less racist society ect, but nearly everyone else seemed to disagree. Would be interesting to find out what the Aussies think about Australia.

By racist as a general term, I mean prejudice by the general population against people of other races. I think (that in the UK at least) there has been massive steps made by the Government and the BBC to try and stamp out institutional (sic) racism as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think the UK is definitely less overtly racist than it was, say, twenty years ago. Whether actual attitudes have changed is harder to guage tho. Judging by the crap I'm forced to listen too as part of my job I think the targets of what might be called "low-level resentment" amongst the native population has shifted too; instead of bitching about the first & second generation carribean and subcontinental immigrants, people are more likely to grumble about east europeans and that hoary old stand-by, illegal immigrants/asylum seekers.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    institutional (sic)
    So you tried to deliberately misspell something but spelt it right.

Why?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Curveball Champion!
    Err (sic) doesn't mean that you have deliberatly spelt something wrongly (AFAIK), it is used if you are not sure if you have spelled something right. Or at least that's how I use it.

Err (sic) doesn't mean that you have deliberatly spelt something wrongly (AFAIK), it is used if you are not sure if you have spelled something right. Or at least that's how I use it.
    Nah, it means you have repeated a word exactly as written somewhere else and the mistake or uncommon usage is not yours. It shows you acknowledge the different or incorrect spelling but used the original and didnt correct it or update it.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Usually used in quotes that wish to keep the original author's style intact but point out factual or spelling errors.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's more disowning a typo when you're quoting someone, so to speak.

I'm of the opinion that attitudes generally do become less racist in the long term. In the medium-to-short term, there are peaks and troughs- if the economy takes a big downturn, resentment against immigrants will probably increase by quite a big margin. But in the long run, racism decreases with time IMO. People are certainly less racist now than they were in 1900, they in turn were less racist than in 1800 and their racism was nothing compared to that of 1700.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Nah, it means you have repeated a word exactly as written somewhere else and the mistake or uncommon usage is not yours. It shows you acknowledge the different or incorrect spelling but used the original and didnt correct it or update it.
    I stand corrected.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I think we're more tolerant now than we were a while ago.

That doesn't mean there's no racism, or that we haven't done some piss poor things like mandatory detention and the Cronulla riots.

Maybe it's just the people I know. There's racist elements in most if not all countries. I see, for example, our cricket club in the western suburbs where there are as many Subcontinental and Middle Eastern players as there are Anglo, and it works really well (as it ought to of course).

There are still people who are suspicious of people from other countries though. Don't know whether that's racism per se, or just ignorance and fear of things less known.

My two cents anyhow.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I know it's not asking about US, but I haven't really experienced racism in the US. Of course, I live in the northeast, and not the deep south, but still. The vast majority of my friends are white, and really I haven't noticed anything. I'm pretty happy with the situation in the US. Even with that, I never thought we'd elect a black president, and I was wrong. So I can't really complain.

The most racism/bigotry I've seen in a country was in India though, both with black africans studying there, and with dalits. It's downright oppressive. It's fine if you're high caste Indian or white.

Note: I don't want to get into the discussion about casteism vs. rascism. The fact is that caste is distinguishable by looks too, and falls quite neatly based on skin color. The fact about black Africans still stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    My Dad use to get beaten up for being black, had to wear an honourary white person card whenever he came into the city to study so people knew he had a right to be there and was counted as livestock (not a citizen of the country) in the census until 1965.

Things are better now.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I know it's not asking about US, but I haven't really experienced racism in the US. Of course, I live in the northeast, and not the deep south, but still. The vast majority of my friends are white, and really I haven't noticed anything. I'm pretty happy with the situation in the US. Even with that, I never thought we'd elect a black president, and I was wrong. So I can't really complain.

The most racism/bigotry I've seen in a country was in India though, both with black africans studying there, and with dalits. It's downright oppressive. It's fine if you're high caste Indian or white.
    I've been at the end of some bigotry and quite possibly lost my job post-9/11 because of it, but overall I haven't really noticed much against myself either. Against blacks though, there's plenty of bigotry around and many white friends of mine let their guard down when with me and make racist comments freely. One even tried to justify slavery by asking me if I knew there were plenty of black people fighting for the South in the civil war.

Have hardly ever seen any such incidents in Pakistan, but that says less about their lack of bigotry and more about the lack of diversity. Saw plenty of it in the middle east though.
    RIP Craigos

Depends where you live. The Shire is still pretty hectic.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    I've been at the end of some bigotry and quite possibly lost my job post-9/11 because of it, but overall I haven't really noticed much against myself either.
    ITSTL. You live near the midwest though right? Crazy town.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    ITSTL. You live near the midwest though right? Crazy town.
    I was working at Wal-Mart to be fair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information