Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand Election Thread

New Zealand Election Thread

I think our upcoming election needs its own thread. November 8 is the big day, not much more than a month away. Of course, that's also 1000 Guineas day which in my opinion is far more interesting. But I suppose the election is more important.

Here are my thoughts on the parties.

Labour: To start on a far from objective note, I'll say that I believe Clark is one of the best Prime Ministers we've ever had. However, as all long-term incumbent governments inevitably do, they have become complacent and have lost touch with the voters. Remember when they were doing things that made a lot of us proud - Iraq, the Tampa refugees? Distant memories now. They've started to consider holding on to power more important than the values and ideology that saw them elected in the first place.

I think they need to lose this election for the good of the party in the long term. The 1999 generation need to move on, it's time for some new blood on the front bench.

National: It's their election to lose, and they're doing a damn fine job of it. If they were getting their advice from Election Campaigns For Dummies they'd be making fewer ****ups. Leaked policy, conveniently forgotten 70,000 shares in a company you've criticised the government about their dealings with, Bill English thinking no one would hear him when confiding information at a ****ing public function. Impressive stuff. I still think they'll win, but I'm far from impressed.

NZ First: They're ****ed. Don't see them getting to 5%, or Winnie winning Tauranga. Even if he starts targeting another racial minority of choice.

Greens: Have to admit, I voted for them last time. I was worried about a Labour-NZ First-United government, so I wanted the Greens to be involved to keep them on the left. Worked out brilliantly, as you know. Won't be voting for them this time - still agree with a lot of their ideas, but their priorities bother me. They'll get 5% though.

ACT: Rodney will win Epsom, and hopefully they'll not get enough of the party vote for any of his insane friends to join him (no offence ACT supporters).

United: The fluffy-haired one will win his seat again, and hopefully they'll not get enough of the party vote for the fundies to join him (again, no offence).

Maori Party: Giving them your party vote is a waste of time. They'll win more electorate seats than their share of the party vote will allow them, leading to an overhang situation.

Jim Anderton: All by myself...

Taito Philip Field: Gone-skis.

Gordon Copeland: As above. Disappointing, he was a legend. Dropping out of his party to become an independent because he disagreed so strongly over an issue - an issue he then forgot to turn up to the vote for. Kudos.

The Bill and Ben Party: Can actually see them picking up quite a few votes. Perhaps from disillusioned Labour voters who are currently posting on CW in a computer lab at university...

Sorry, what? No one asked me what I thought? Oh. Apologies.

So what does everyone else think?

Have been able to vote for over 6yrs now, but I always seem to find myself out of the country come election time.

I will vote one day, unless I keel over and die before doing so.....

Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    I'll say that I believe Clark is one of the best Prime Ministers we've ever had.
    Wow, that's a huge call.

What makes you say that out of interest?

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Wow, that's a huge call.

Well, did Jenny Shipley have better legs?

By the way, I'm voting with Richard Pryor, None of the Above
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

He's Peter Davis?

The Bill and Ben Party: Can actually see them picking up quite a few votes. Perhaps from disillusioned Labour voters who are currently posting on CW in a computer lab at university...
    Are you serious? Would get my vote for sure.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Wow, that's a huge call.

Well it's not exactly difficult! The last few before her were Shipley, Bolger, Moore & Palmer. Not an impressive group. Then Lange, who was a wonderful man but was unable to control his own party, then Muldoon...

The country's been in pretty good shape throughout this government. Often it takes another government to make a previous one look good in hindsight, and I believe that'll happen.

I'd rate Kirk, Savage, Seddon & Fraser clearly ahead of her but she's been easily the best of a fairly ordinary remaining bunch IMO. Her leadership from 1999-2002 was faultless - remember in the 2002 election National suffered the worst defeat in their history.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 22-09-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James90 View Post
    Are you serious? Would get my vote for sure.
    Yeah, no joke. A party needs a certain number of signatures to register and they were at the uni bar recently getting people to sign in exchange for beer. I co-operated.

Well it's not exactly difficult! The last few before her were Shipley, Bolger, Moore & Palmer. Not an impressive group. Then Lange, who was a wonderful man but was unable to control his own party, then Muldoon...

The country's been in pretty good shape throughout this government. Often it takes another government to make a previous one look good in hindsight, and I believe that'll happen.

I'd rate Kirk, Savage, Seddon & Fraser clearly ahead of her but she's been easily the best of a fairly ordinary remaining bunch IMO. Her leadership from 1999-2002 was faultless - remember in the 2002 election National suffered the worst defeat in their history.
    I know I am ignorant, if that is the case, why do so many Kiwi's come over here wanting better money, conditions etc.? In my present job I would earning $5-6 per hour less for example. And I thought interest rates where a lot higher as well.

I can vote in this election is if I want to though, but I don't know anybody who is running so it would be a bit pointless in that regard.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Yeah that is a fair point and something that needs to be rectified, but at the same time it's not a new problem and with Australia's considerably larger economy there will always be a discrepancy.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I know I am ignorant, if that is the case, why do so many Kiwi's come over here wanting better money, conditions etc.? In my present job I would earning $5-6 per hour less for example. And I thought interest rates where a lot higher as well.
    Tbf, this has been happening for ages. It's true that Kiwi's do earn less than Australians for example, doing the same jobs. And a lot of our consumables are comparable or more expensive to that in Australia (in my experience anyway).

I think the problem is more collective - if more 'skilled' people stayed, it'd possibly drive up the standard of living. At the moment it seems to be a revolving door - get educated here, earn a living overseas, and return to retire.
    Last edited by NZTailender; 23-09-2008 at 04:32 AM.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Tbf, this has been happening for ages. It's true that Kiwi's do earn less than Australians for example, doing the same jobs. And a lot of our consumables are comparable or more expensive to that in Australia (in my experience anyway).

I think the problem is more collective - if more 'skilled' people stayed, it'd possibly drive up the standard of living. At the moment it seems to be a revolving door - get educated here, earn a living overseas, and return to retire.
    So is it possible for the government do anything to stop them leaving? Then again you do get people who just put over to New Zealand for a few years, get citizenship and then go to Australia, rorting a loophole that is nigh on impossible to shut.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    So is it possible for the government do anything to stop them leaving? Then again you do get people who just put over to New Zealand for a few years, get citizenship and then go to Australia, rorting a loophole that is nigh on impossible to shut.
    Not much they can do but offer incentives to stay, but there isn't a whole lot of money to do that, and it'd take a really special leader and a genius idea for a campaign to get people to stay and make NZ a more attractive place to stay and work.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    I know I am ignorant, if that is the case, why do so many Kiwi's come over here wanting better money, conditions etc.?
    Because the media are constantly bleating about how much better people can supposedly do over there. NZers are hearing it so often that they now accept it as fact. Having lived there myself and seen it for the lie that it is, I try telling people but they don't want to hear it.

The simple truth is that there are good things and bad things about both countries, and the only way one can move to Australia and do as spectacularly well as our idiotic journos would have you believe is if you're willing to live out in the desert several days drive away from civilisation, digging up minerals.

Anyway, National to win, because stupid people want change for the sake of it. The irony is that aside from John Key at the helm, this National Party is basically the same one that was unceremoniously booted out of office in '99.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    I'm voting Bill and Ben.

No other party really appeals, our political system like most other countries is poor.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information