Thread: How to qualify for F1

How to qualify for F1 and about F1 in India

There are two Indians in F3 and both are doing very well. What position should they be in to qualify for F1. Is there any F2? I read that Justine Wilson stood 5th in the Nissan World Series ( F3 event) last year or the year before and now he is driving in F1. I gather that if the F1 Companies are interested then they will contact the driver and even if the driver is on the top of the standings but if the companies are not interested then it's no use.Is it true?

One driver is Narain and he is in the 3rd position in the Nissan World Series which i found out is an F3 event

http://server1.msn.co.in/sp03/tataracing/points.asp

The other is Karun and he is in the 2nd position in the British F3 .

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2003/may/30karun.htm

I think that there is no F2 from what i have read. Can canybody explain the process of F1? It's the second or third most popular sport here and no one is there in the F1 ;(
    Last edited by V Reddy; 17-07-2003 at 11:23 AM.

The sad thing about F1 is that just because you have talent it doesn't mean you'll get there...
    A perfect example is Mark Webber the Aussie, He is being talked about as the next superstar, but he has only just arrived on the scene because he was unable to get a backer to put money behind him...
    He eventually got a deal done partly thanx to Minardi boss Paul Stoddtart being an Aussie, he impressed in a ordinary team and now is making his mark in a inconsistent team...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    There are many ways to make it to formula 1.
    Formula 3000 is where many young drivers start to impress the teams like toyota, renault, jordan etc.....
    Drivers like Webber, Button have all come from there and many of the test drivers eg, ryan briscoe still have some role there.
    of course there are other ways, The cart series in America has produced stars like Montoya and Villeneuve, even former williams driver alex zinardi started there.
    Theres also Japans Formula Nippon, Jordan driver Ralph Firman won that series last year i believe.
    But money ultimately pays a major role in drivers getting to the top of these minor series and then noticed by F1 teams.
    When it comes to getting a drive a lot of the time it comes down to performing well at the right time.
    Most drivers usually go through some seasons as a test driver before they a major drive, but again there are exceptions, McLaren driver kimi raikkonen had no experience then went to a drive at sauber and then to the 2nd biggest team in the sport within 2 seasons.

I gather that if the F1 Companies are interested then they will contact the driver and even if the driver is on the top of the standings but if the companies are not interested then it's no use.Is it true?

That is right to an extent, teams will want the best driver possible, but in some situations there are other factors like they want a particular type of driver, eg one that qualifies well but not neccisarily a great race driver (renault's trulli) is a big example of that. Some times there are drivers that are quick but dont work well with particular people.
    And the last thing is the shape/height of a driver. Justin Wilson was offered the drive at Minardi last year but he was too tall and missed out.

hope that answered your questions.

Yup thanks for clarifying my doubts . The second driver is making headlines here as he is only 18 years only and that he is very talented. Hope he enters the F1 atleast once in the coming years.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    On the subject of Justin Wilson, he must be the only F1 driver who still has to go back home and work whenever he can so tht he can afford to live!

He works on a circuit not too far from where I am.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    A pal of mine tried to make it in F1.

He started in the F2/F5000 stuff, was really successful, ended up as European champion.

Financed his own car, spent a year in F1 and finally made a qualifying time which got him on the start.

It was a rain-affected Monaco Grand Prix, and at the end he was one of only two cars still running (everyone - and I mean EVERYONE - else crashed out).

However, when the winner crossed the line, there were 7 still running. Brian Henton was 3 laps behind (in 7th place), the drivers in 2-6 all crashed but Brian was still credited with 7th.

Bummer. Tell you what - in the right car, he could have been world champion. He was that good.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    The best way to make it is by being in the right place at the right time.

Formula 3000 was one of the major feeders in recent years, but it seems to have tailed off a touch of late, and been replaced by British Formula 3 (where Button and Sato both came out of), and Formula Renault has a high-ish profile of late after Kimi Raikkonen came out of it after very few races.

Formula Nippon has produced Eddie Irvine, Ralf Firman and several no-mark Japanese pay-drivers. You'd be lucky to jump from there into F1. Formula 2 no longer exists.

There are a lot of F3 events which are ostensibly at the same level but in the eyes of F1 team bosses the British is the "best" - The Macau F3 race at the end of the season is always a great place to show off your stuff.

Narain Karthikeyan had a stint in British F3 and wasn't too hot, his performances seem reasonably strong in this Nissan series - Kovalainen and Gené are solid drivers. Who's this Montagny guy, he seems quite hot!

Reading the article about Karun Chandok, there's a bit of selective interpretation of facts going on. In British F3, there are two sets of cars that race at the same time. There is the "Championship" class and the "Scholarship" class - who are very much the poor relations of the Championship runners. Chandok is second in the scholarship class - he won't have finished above 10th very often at all. He's got a long way to go yet.

I expect an Indian to make F1 in the near future, and probably with Minardi, as he will release a huge source of income and sponsorship. If Alex Yoong can get a drive, anyone can.

Check www.fota.co.uk for more information on British F3
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Yeah he said he skipped Championship class b'coz of finanacial reasons. He continued scholarship again to win it this time and raise his profile as a driver and so that he can get more sponsers.BTW, he is 19 and not 18 as i had said.It's an article written in Feb this year.

http://www.rediff.com/sports/2003/feb/06karun.htm

The Nissan World Series races are shown recorded here and in every race which Montagny wins he wins with a big difference. In almost every race that he has won, the gap between him and the 2nd position racer is atleast 10 seconds :O and some times even up to 20 seconds. We may see him in the F1 soon

Now there is a serious chance of a F1 Race in India and that too in my city

http://espn.go.com/rpm/f1/2003/0715/1580978.html

F1 chief promises India GP
    Reuters

NEW DELHI -- India will host a Formula One race in the future, according to the sport's business chief Bernie Ecclestone.

"We will be having an F1 race in India, for sure. When and where it will be I cannot say," Ecclestone told Indian news magazine 'The Week' in a recent interview.

"India is moving forward very fast. After doing something in China, India is next," he said, adding that he was confident of attracting adequate sponsorship in the cricket-mad country.

China and Bahrain are due to host races for the first time next year. Japan and Malaysia are the other two Asian countries which are part of the championship.

Ecclestone said the southern city of Hyderabad was a front-runner to host an eventual race in India and governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) was in touch with authorities in the regional government.

Hyderabad is an emerging technology center.

"We have been speaking to intermediaries. So they know the FIA is interested," Ecclestone said, adding that he planned to visit India in the near future to inspect facilities.

India has had Formula One ambitions for some time with FIA president Max Mosley inspecting the country's only racetrack near Madras in the south a decade ago.

Ecclestone has spoken recently about the likelihood of a grand prix in Turkey in 2005 and a possible return to Argentina, which last hosted Formula One in 1998. He also hopes for a Russian race in the future.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/mnd/...y/9julygm5.htm

Hyderabad to be F1's next pit stop in Asia

Formula 1 enthusiasts in the country have a lot to cheer about. The reason: Andhra Pradesh has bagged an in-principle approval from a consortium led by Argus Integrated Systems for setting up India’s first Formula 1 race track. The consortium had explored various options including Bangalore before settling for Hyderabad. The track will be built close to the Indian School of Business (ISB), and the entire project is estimated to cost upwards of Rs 1,500 crore, official sources told ET.

Incidentally, the Formula 1 track in Hyderabad will be the the sixth in Asia. Three such tracks exist in the Malaysian city of Sepang, while Suzuka in Japan and Melbourne in Australia have one each. Bahrain and China are set to join the league next year.

According to the state officials, a consortium of various international players have expressed satisfaction with 1,300 acres of land shown by the state government and agreed to lay the track there. The consortium is expected to submit a detailed project report (DPR) in a couple of weeks to the state government detailing each component of the integrated project.

They pointed out that Formula 1 track project is not only a big business having huge forex potential, but will also boost tourism in the state. Additionally, the project will result in the development of the service and spare parts industry for race cars in the city. “If all goes as planned, the Formula 1 race could be held in Hyderabad in ’06,” they said.

However, officials of the AP Infrastructure Authority, which is handling the aspects relating to project clearance, refused to divulge more details. “We will let you know after a couple of weeks, when the consortium led by Argus Integrated Systems submits its DPR,” was all they were willing to say.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    every week bernie says a new country he wants to go to. india, russia, turkey, egypt the list goes on. even going back to argentina and south africa. so dont get your hopes up, as theres only 16 races on the calender, possibly 18 in the future.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    very true, though India is a possibility with the huge population
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

BTW, Who's that on your avatar , Simon

Atleast the future is looking much better than it did previously :P

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/1...5,00070007.htm

F1 boss does have India on mind
    S.Kannan
    New Delhi, July 21

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone told Indian motorsport officials in Silverstone on Sunday that India was certainly one of the future venues he has in mind.

"At this stage it would be premature to talk of when the big day will come but Bernie has told us there's no 'if' on India as a choice and it's just a matter of time for it to happen," said Vicky Chandhok, President, Federation of Motor Sports Club of India (FMSCI).

There has been a lot of speculation on whether India could afford an event like F-1 since the initial costs like putting up a track and so on will itself be running into millions of dollars. But the point is some of the states like Andhra Pradesh have shown huge interest.

"Till now it was only intermediaries who were dealing with Bernie. We have now met him and Bernie will be certainly coming to India in three weeks time to see for himself how enthusiastic people here are about putting an F-1 event together," added Vicky Chandhok.

If further proof was needed Bernie was serious about India, it happened at the Silverstone race track in the afternoon. Just before the start of the race, Bernie introduced Karun Chandhok and superstar Arnold Schwarznegger to Kimi Raikkonen and Julian Alonso on the starting grid.

And what did Bernie tell Karun? "Bernie told me he was serious about F 1 in India and wanted to see an Indian in it. I was also very happy when he told me I was young and should not worry too much about making it to F-1," said Karun.

F-1 has been seen as a sport which could be run only in rich countries.

"Well, Bernie sees India as the fastest growing economy in Asia," said Vicky Chandhok.

Vijay Mallya, chairman, FMSCI, who was also in Silverstone, says the point they have made to Bernie is “the fast growing popularity of F 1 in India.”

“I am very optimistic after speaking to Bernie about F 1 happening in India. We require a core group and I am sure there are sponsors in India who will come forward for this,” said Mallya.

In support, Mallya said, there were liquor companies in India who would step in like Fosters does abroad.

“I also see a role for automobile manufacturers as F 1 in India is going to become a reality,” he added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...how?msid=88214

Formula One boss tells Karun to take it easy
    SUKHWANT BASRA

TIMES NEWS NETWORK[ MONDAY, JULY 21, 2003 11:07:04 PM ]

NEW DELHI: The best part of Karun Chandhok’s trip to Silverstone this Sunday was getting to be seen in the company of Bernie Eccelstone, the most powerful man in F-1. He also got a bit of advice from him.

“Bernie told me not to rush things so as to prevent burnout before making the F-1 grade. He’s asked me to race in all the lower categories and gather the requisite experience. He also added that he would do the needful when the time comes,” Chandhok revealed when contacted in England. As such he’s now certain to go through at least four to five years of racing before he aspires for the rarefied zone of F-1. This is his second year at the British F-3.

He did get a taste of F-1 though when he got the privilege of walking out on the starting grid. Though the grid looks crowded, only privileged guests and those involved with the cars get to step on it. “The experience was awesome as I got to see last minute preparations and tensions that one can’t see on TV. The atmosphere was electric,” the 19-year-old Chandhok gushed. Eccelstone has also promised to help Chandhok’s bid for the Championship Class of next year’s British F-3 by using his influence to get him in touch with engine manufacturers. “We’ll be meeting the Mercedes people through him. But in all probability I’ll stick with Honda. Opel is the other engine that we are keen on,” Chandhok revealed. The 2004 season will cost him about three crores and no fresh monetary help is as yet forthcoming.

ÿ“Money can only come from the Indian subsidiaries of the engine I race on. Here the negotiations are for extent of support,” explained Chandhok. Chandhok’s promoters are hoping to use visible interest of Eccelstone in him to help raise sponsors. “Racing being a nascent sport in India, not many understand it. Most sponsors remember Narain Karthikeyan’s inability to break into F-1 and look at Karun with skepticism. We are hoping that Bernie’s support makes them look at Karun anew,” says Sanjay Sharma, Chandhok’s manager.

Meanwhile his father, Vicky Chandhok, is busy finalising plans for Eccelstone’s exploratory trip to India. It is learnt that the F1 bosses are looking at Bangalore, Haryana and Delhi too as possible venues for their future plans. “It’s not just Hyderabad,” revealed Chandhok.
    Last edited by V Reddy; 21-07-2003 at 12:37 PM.

International Vice-Captain
    i no like F1 much

Thread Information