Cricket Player Manager
Page 93 of 126 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1889
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Theory I hear is that these older bands who are hitting the road again are only doing so because they're the last of the bunch to be squeezed by the testicles on royalties so they need the cashola, putting their labels in a position of power. Record companies bankroll the tour and set the ticket prices to levels only said 30+ types with disposable income can afford and are willing to pay for nostalgia. Basically, they're squeezing every last $ they possibly can out of the old way of doing business until they're absolutely forced to change, like Big Oil.

Truth is, in some ways the landscape will be worse; music is more conveniently available with stuff like Spotify but the artists actually get less per record company $ than when they were getting a CD %. Subscription music is fantastic for the consumers but utterly **** for the muso's. Nothing wrong with being forced to play live for your coin but with the former stars having to tour and taking up a bigger slice of the live show pie, newer acts don't even get a look-in any more.

Frankly, I know of no muso's who started > 2000 who are making money off their music any more. Some license, some rely on playing covers/corporates, some merchandise, most are in Struggletown. And if anyone mentions the words 'crowdfunding', 'Palmer' or 'Amanda', give yourself an uppercut.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-10-2012 at 02:10 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    It's a phase. As the dinosaurs die out people are going to start going out and about more to get their r&r fix. Music has always been a tough career choice anyway, don't personally buy the view that it's gotten worse.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Speaking of musos who've started post 2000 as T_C was, any thoughts on Tame Impala?

Heard a pleasantly heavy slice of trippy, psych rock on MTV t'other day (Elephant, ftr) and after Googling its makers discovered they're actually an Aussie band. Well, one Aussie recording under a band name, from what I've read.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Boyce Avenue - Acoustic Covers - YouTube

Boyce Avenue has some seriously brilliant acoustic covers. Check their cover of Pearl Jam's Jeremy. Amazing.
    Last edited by Daemon; 09-10-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    It's a phase. As the dinosaurs die out people are going to start going out and about more to get their r&r fix.
    I don't think so, that should have already started to happen in OZ. Crowds heading out and seeing a band has simply shrunk by heaps. It's no coincidence that the wild popularity of pub rock coincided with when the Baby Boomers were of gig-going age and there was virtually no competition for their entertainment dollars back in the day, certainly no big festivals to compete with let alone pay TV, the internet and gaming.

Large parts of the Aussie gig landscape are headed down the same road as formerly big scenes like LA; drastically scaled back numbers of venues with many more mid-sized festivals to create an attraction. There might be more small venues opening up but I dunno, are there the heads through the door to really support them? Local venues are heavily hampered by liquor legislation here too and word is that's only likely to tighten up with earlier curfews and more lock-outs,
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-10-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Speaking of musos who've started post 2000 as T_C was, any thoughts on Tame Impala?
    Not my thing. Find them repetitive and dull, especially live. One of those 'half our set is bending over and twiddling pedal knobs' sort of bands.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 09-10-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think you'll find he was The Velvets' bassist/viola player.
    and sadly the great man Sterling Morrison never released anything
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Has to be one of my top 10 fav youtube vids of all times...

When White guys listen to Daler Mehndi ...!!!! - YouTube
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Faisal1985 View Post
    Has to be one of my top 10 fav youtube vids of all times...

When White guys listen to Daler Mehndi ...!!!! - YouTube

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    The best part is them singing it as well....just epic.

New band, new toys. This is us (well, me) tooling about in the studio with an old-skool Roland tape echo. ****ing sexy.

Space Echo Madness - YouTube

I really like the new Rolling Stones song *always on the cutting edge of the music scene*
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

I love This sorry everyone else

Yeah so I've got a new project happening, Candice and the Arcade Villains. Has a bit of an slow R&B thing about it, fairly natural production so it's headed in a sorta rootsy direction but before I mention any artists, I'd like to see what others think as far as who we might tell venue operators we sound like. Who's keen to have a listen?
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-11-2012 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeah so I've got a new project happening, Candice and the Arcade Villains. Has a bit of an slow R&B thing about it, fairly natural production so it's headed in a sorta rootsy direction but before I mention any artists, I'd like to see what others think as far as who we might tell venue operators we sound like. Who's keen to have a listen?
    I'm probably not the natural demo for that kinda dealy by the sound of it, but I do like what used to be called "rhythm & blues" in the olden, black and white days (Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, our own Miss Dusty Springfield) before it became the ubiquitous R'n'B.

Would be interested to hear it, anyway.

Page 93 of 126 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread Information