Page 84 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1847
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

  1. #1246
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The new Beirut and Bon Iver album's were awesome, but musically I'll remember it as the year I found the Cat Empire, Femi Kuti and Emancipator.
    Cat Empire, eh? Which album? Never really would have thought anyone at CW would find them appealing, let alone someone outside Aus.

  2. #1247
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    Just listening to Alex Turner's Submarine EP that he did on his own as soundtrack to the film of the same name. Hard to believe that this is the same guy who was singing about fights at taxi ranks a few years back, this is so different, and lovely. I've always been a fan but I've really got into the Arctics this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  3. #1248
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,214
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Just listening to Alex Turner's Submarine EP that he did on his own as soundtrack to the film of the same name. Hard to believe that this is the same guy who was singing about fights at taxi ranks a few years back, this is so different, and lovely. I've always been a fan but I've really got into the Arctics this year.
    Have you heard The Last Shadow Puppets' album? If so, how's it compare?

    The Cat Empire aren't my cup of tea at all. They (or a song of theirs) was nom'd in a battle of the bands/songs so I felt obliged to check them out. All a bit too straight-ahead jazz to be quite the thing and their singer sounded a bit like the guy from Space, whose timbre always suggested he was taking the piss.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

  4. #1249
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    Last Shadow Puppets album was another gift I got from Santa actually, had my first listen about two hours ago. Like it quite a lot on first listen, if you like 505 and some of the other tracks Miles has written with Turner on the Arctics albums then you can't go wrong.

    It was one of those albums I meant to get at the time and, well, didn't, and all of a sudden it's three years later.

    EDIT -think I got the wrong end of the stick, see later post
    Last edited by GIMH; 27-12-2011 at 08:40 AM.


  5. #1250
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    Another Christmas present in the player now and another that came out in 2008 and I never got round to getting, The Killers - Day and Age. Loved Sam's Town but D&A came out on the same day as Chinese Democracy so never stood a chance. Pretty pleased with the four albums (well, three and an EP) that I got and shall be picking some more up on Friday with vouchers I think. The Strokes' latest possibly top of the list.

  6. #1251
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,655
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Cat Empire, eh? Which album? Never really would have thought anyone at CW would find them appealing, let alone someone outside Aus.
    All of it really, but especially The Cat Empire and Two Shoes. They've actually developed a bit of a cult among students over here, Howe_zat's a fan too I believe. They're not too well known but their live shows get pretty big crowds, which makes sense because they're phenomenal live.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  7. #1252
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,655
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Have you heard The Last Shadow Puppets' album? If so, how's it compare?

    The Cat Empire aren't my cup of tea at all. They (or a song of theirs) was nom'd in a battle of the bands/songs so I felt obliged to check them out. All a bit too straight-ahead jazz to be quite the thing and their singer sounded a bit like the guy from Space, whose timbre always suggested he was taking the piss.
    I wouldn't describe them as straight-ahead jazz by any means, it was probably just that song. They're closer to ska than anything else but there's a heavy Latin American influence in there too.

    If you don't like the accent it's a non-starter nevertheless, I just happen to love it.

  8. #1253
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Last Shadow Puppets album was another gift I got from Santa actually, had my first listen about two hours ago. Like it quite a lot on first listen, if you like 505 and some of the other tracks Miles has written with Turner on the Arctics albums then you can't go wrong. Will give it another blast later on I think and recommend some tracks for you to try out.

    It was one of those albums I meant to get at the time and, well, didn't, and all of a sudden it's three years later.
    Scrap recommended tracks; the whole damn thing is great. Very theatrical, grandiose. Reckon you'd like it.

    Actually, re-reading, I'm thinking you are asking me how Turner's EP compares to the Last Shadow Puppets - if so it's COMPLETELY different. Turner's EP is him an acoustic guitar, save for a couple of strings here and there, and is a very downbeat and melancholy affair. It's lovely but not something that is going to put you in a good mood.
    Last edited by GIMH; 27-12-2011 at 08:39 AM.

  9. #1254
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    All of it really, but especially The Cat Empire and Two Shoes. They've actually developed a bit of a cult among students over here, Howe_zat's a fan too I believe. They're not too well known but their live shows get pretty big crowds, which makes sense because they're phenomenal live.
    Is it fair to say that they've got most of their backing from their live shows?

    Fair enough then. I've seen them a couple of times, and they've always been uber-entertaining. Would probably never buy a ticket solely for them, but they are always super value when part of a larger ticket/festival.

    First (self-titled) album still the best, ftr. And their cover of Paul Kelly's Dumb Things.

  10. #1255
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,214
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Scrap recommended tracks; the whole damn thing is great. Very theatrical, grandiose. Reckon you'd like it.

    Actually, re-reading, I'm thinking you are asking me how Turner's EP compares to the Last Shadow Puppets - if so it's COMPLETELY different. Turner's EP is him an acoustic guitar, save for a couple of strings here and there, and is a very downbeat and melancholy affair. It's lovely but not something that is going to put you in a good mood.
    Might check it out. Must admit I was vaguely disappointed with The Age of The Understatement. It's one of those albums where one can see what they're trying to do, but the delivery isn't quite there. Turner & Kane had obviously been mainlining Scott Walker beforehand and he's one of those artistes whose influence is easy to detect, but who's very hard to top.

  11. #1256
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,655
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Is it fair to say that they've got most of their backing from their live shows?
    Hard to say, I don't know if they tour here often enough for that to be the case. They might just have found a niche market among lazy, laid-back students, almost everyone at the show seemed to be between 20 and 25.

    Someone got kicked out for lighting a spliff in the middle of the crowd- I guess that tells you a lot about the type of person they appeal to

  12. #1257
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    I was thinking as well that you'd probably enjoy the Arctics newest album; completely different to the other three and there's a big Smiths influence on there. Reckon you'd like She's Thunderstorms, All My Own Stunts and That's Where You're Wrong if you're hovering about non utoob at any point.

    You a fan of Kane then?

  13. #1258
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    45,214
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I was thinking as well that you'd probably enjoy the Arctics newest album; completely different to the other three and there's a big Smiths influence on there. Reckon you'd like She's Thunderstorms, All My Own Stunts and That's Where You're Wrong if you're hovering about non utoob at any point.

    You a fan of Kane then?
    Only really know his work that's intersected with Turner, tbh. Had never heard of him until the LSP album.

  14. #1259
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,720
    His album's worth a listen; not sure if it's exactly your cup of tea but it's just straight-up 60s style poprock, really enjoyable and catchy

  15. #1260
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    The new Beirut and Bon Iver album's were awesome, but musically I'll remember it as the year I found the Cat Empire, Femi Kuti and Emancipator.
    (y)
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Page 84 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Division 3 FC Discussion Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
  2. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 15-04-2006, 12:09 PM
  3. **OFFICIAL CW Cup Discussion Thread**
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 04:48 AM
  4. Trade discussion Thread
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •