Page 83 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1804
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    If you're a indie/hard rock kinda guy like me, you'll find "Just" and "My Iron Lung" getting a fair few plays.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    So what albums have you ****ers enjoyed this year? In no particular order, some of the ones I've liked

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The best collection of Noel Gallagher songs, compilations aside, since Morning Glory? Probably - his writing had clearly got back to great strength by the time of 05's Don't Believe The Truth by which point he was sharing the writing with his brother and bandmates. 08's Dig Out Your Soul had Noel in fine form with a blistering Chief-dominated first half making for a great final oasis album, but only getting to write 5 or 6 songs an album, and the decline of the b-side meant he had a right stockpile building up, and here is the result, a marvellous album. Whether it's the sneer of his bandmates 'trying to walk in my shoes' on Everybody's On The Run or Wonderwall's grown up brother If I Had a Gun, this album is full of gems. Probably my favourite of the year and I'm itching for his already recorded follow-up, next year.

Beady Eye - Different Gear Still Speeding - Shocker as Oasis obsessive lists Liam and Noel's albums first in his 'no particular order' list of albums for 2011. I've talked about this one extensively on the forum at the time of release, but while it did not set the world alight, it did show that Liam was capable of standing on his own two feet. This is a highly enjoyable album with Liam's voice sounding the best it has since Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. The songs are transformed live as well, and the softer b-sides 'World Outside My Room' and 'In The Bubble With a Bullet' really show a different side to Liam's voice that we've seldom heard. Good debut and hopefully they build on it when they head into the studio next year.

Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See - I have a bit of a thing for bands that a lot of people seem to draw a line after a specific point in their career (see the siblings listed above, The Strokes, Guns N' Roses...) and you can definitely add this lot to that list. First album was monstrously huge, second one had every single track charting in the top 200. Third album well-received critically but turned a fair few fans away - IMO it's a definite grower and an excellent album. But anyway it meant people were interested to see where they would go next and the result was another about turn - from Humbug's desert rock chorusless affair, the fun returned but with much softer songs, Smithsesque guitars accompanied Turner's brilliant wordplay. There's not a single song on the album that I want to skip and while it might not have the infectious highs of a When The Sun Goes Down or Fluorescent Adolescent it is remarkably consistent, melodic and enjoyable and it's amazing to think they are all still only about 25.

Kasabian - Velociraptor! - Saw these live a couple of weeks back, cracking live act it must be said. Anyway, an album that is quite noticeably different to their third, before I'd heard it a mate said to me it was 'half Beatles half electronic' and it's not far off. The trademark beats are met with Beatlesy melodies, and you've got the Immigrant Songish Days are Forgotten which is one of the standout tracks of the year. Kasabian show off their influences quite clearly on this album but do so while sounding like themselves more than anything else. Quality.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light - I thought my days of buying Foos' albums were over tbh, loved the first two, enjoyed parts of the third, the fourth was meeeeh and I gave up after that. My elder brother is a huge fan and told me I'd love this because it's a lot heavier than their recent work, gave it a go and he was right - everything that I originally loved about them is here, with crunching riffs accompanying catchy melodies - it's not going to change the world but it's a hell of a listen - the album's closer Walk is one of the best, with Grohl putting in quite the vocal performance.

Honourable mention goes to Miles Kane - The Colour of the Trap which I don't have yet but I have enjoyed all of what I've listened to which must be pretty much the whole album, via youtube.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

back half of the king of limbs + bonus tracks (which are better than the album tracks... hm)
    ravedeath, 1972. it still hasn't quite clicked for me yet in the same way harmony in uv did, but it's tim hecker. it's good.
    i do remember being underwhelmed by explosions in the sky's release this year. pity.
    can't think of any other standouts at the moment, this year's more been about rediscovering some gems which i'd forgotten about.
    in particular eluvium's "copia", which has gotten a hell of a lot of plays in the last six months. mostly on the basis of jaw-droppingly gorgeous tracks like this and this. just stunning.

have been listening to a lot more straight 'classical' than usual too - shifting tastes, again.
    Last edited by Spark; 18-12-2011 at 07:14 AM.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eluvium, so good.

Paul McCartney concert was amazing

Has anyone heard of Ian McNabb or the Icycle Works?
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    So what albums have you ****ers enjoyed this year? In no particular order, some of the ones I've liked

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - The best collection of Noel Gallagher songs, compilations aside, since Morning Glory? Probably - his writing had clearly got back to great strength by the time of 05's Don't Believe The Truth by which point he was sharing the writing with his brother and bandmates. 08's Dig Out Your Soul had Noel in fine form with a blistering Chief-dominated first half making for a great final oasis album, but only getting to write 5 or 6 songs an album, and the decline of the b-side meant he had a right stockpile building up, and here is the result, a marvellous album. Whether it's the sneer of his bandmates 'trying to walk in my shoes' on Everybody's On The Run or Wonderwall's grown up brother If I Had a Gun, this album is full of gems. Probably my favourite of the year and I'm itching for his already recorded follow-up, next year.

Beady Eye - Different Gear Still Speeding - Shocker as Oasis obsessive lists Liam and Noel's albums first in his 'no particular order' list of albums for 2011. I've talked about this one extensively on the forum at the time of release, but while it did not set the world alight, it did show that Liam was capable of standing on his own two feet. This is a highly enjoyable album with Liam's voice sounding the best it has since Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. The songs are transformed live as well, and the softer b-sides 'World Outside My Room' and 'In The Bubble With a Bullet' really show a different side to Liam's voice that we've seldom heard. Good debut and hopefully they build on it when they head into the studio next year.

Arctic Monkeys - Suck It And See - I have a bit of a thing for bands that a lot of people seem to draw a line after a specific point in their career (see the siblings listed above, The Strokes, Guns N' Roses...) and you can definitely add this lot to that list. First album was monstrously huge, second one had every single track charting in the top 200. Third album well-received critically but turned a fair few fans away - IMO it's a definite grower and an excellent album. But anyway it meant people were interested to see where they would go next and the result was another about turn - from Humbug's desert rock chorusless affair, the fun returned but with much softer songs, Smithsesque guitars accompanied Turner's brilliant wordplay. There's not a single song on the album that I want to skip and while it might not have the infectious highs of a When The Sun Goes Down or Fluorescent Adolescent it is remarkably consistent, melodic and enjoyable and it's amazing to think they are all still only about 25.

Kasabian - Velociraptor! - Saw these live a couple of weeks back, cracking live act it must be said. Anyway, an album that is quite noticeably different to their third, before I'd heard it a mate said to me it was 'half Beatles half electronic' and it's not far off. The trademark beats are met with Beatlesy melodies, and you've got the Immigrant Songish Days are Forgotten which is one of the standout tracks of the year. Kasabian show off their influences quite clearly on this album but do so while sounding like themselves more than anything else. Quality.

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light - I thought my days of buying Foos' albums were over tbh, loved the first two, enjoyed parts of the third, the fourth was meeeeh and I gave up after that. My elder brother is a huge fan and told me I'd love this because it's a lot heavier than their recent work, gave it a go and he was right - everything that I originally loved about them is here, with crunching riffs accompanying catchy melodies - it's not going to change the world but it's a hell of a listen - the album's closer Walk is one of the best, with Grohl putting in quite the vocal performance.

Honourable mention goes to Miles Kane - The Colour of the Trap which I don't have yet but I have enjoyed all of what I've listened to which must be pretty much the whole album, via youtube.
    I would mostly go along with this, I also like Smother by Wild Beasts and Yuck.

Its strange how Noel hasn't gotten better reviews for NGHFB, its more or less the same as Beady Eye's DGSS got even though it is pretty superior.
    The Importance of Being Mehul

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Has anyone heard of Ian McNabb or the Icycle Works?
    Yup. Got a few of his solo albums. Head Like a Rock, featuring Crazy Horse (AKA Neil Young's backing band) on four of the tracks is a superior slice of fuzzy, amped-up rock but my fav is A Party Political Broadcast on Behalf of the Emotional Party, a mainly acoustic album that shows off the quality of his songwriting. Sex With Someone You Love is one of the great songs about wanking.

Picked it up for all of a quid too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Touche Amore - Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me
    Close Your Eyes - Empty Hands and Heavy Hearts
    Defeater - Empty Days And Sleepless Nights
    We Came as Romans - Understanding What We've Grown to Be
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    GOOD:
    Bill Callahan - Apocalypse
    Chad VanGaalen - Diaper Island
    David Kilgour & The Heavy Eights - Left By Soft (AOTY)
    East River Pipe - We Live In Rented Rooms
    Eleanor Friedberger - Last Summer (Eleanor Friedberger - My Mistakes - YouTube probably soty. that or Diamond Mine by David Kilgour
    The Feelies - Here Before
    Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo
    The Mountain Goats - All Eternals Deck
    Nodzzz - Innings
    Real Estate - Days
    Stephen Malkmus - Mirror Traffic
    Teenage Cool Kids - Denton After Sunset
    Tom Waits - Bad As Me
    Twerps - Twerps

Bad

****ING BON IVOR
    still don't get fleet foxes
    **** Unknown Mortal Orchestra
    listened to wilco's album like twice
    the fall and half man half biscuit didn't really do much for me
    noel gallagher was what i feared it would be.
    a lot of other stuff i got told to listen to
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

What did you fear Noel would be?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    ****?
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yup. Got a few of his solo albums. Head Like a Rock, featuring Crazy Horse (AKA Neil Young's backing band) on four of the tracks is a superior slice of fuzzy, amped-up rock but my fav is A Party Political Broadcast on Behalf of the Emotional Party, a mainly acoustic album that shows off the quality of his songwriting. Sex With Someone You Love is one of the great songs about wanking.

Picked it up for all of a quid too.
    He was one of the people I went to that Paul McCartney concert with and I got told he was quite famous. Cool guy

Bought very few albums that were released this year but PJ Harveys - Let England Shake deserved all the praise it got and Kate Bush - 50 words for snow is bloody marvelous.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The new Beirut and Bon Iver album's were awesome, but musically I'll remember it as the year I found the Cat Empire, Femi Kuti and Emancipator.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Stop making fake bands up you wanker

Page 83 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread Information