Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Because....?
    His sense of humour, he was the most grounded Beatle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, Concert for Bangladesh. Always hard to choose between John and Paul but George has always been a favourite.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    [QUOTE=BoyBrumby;1661373 He couples "try" with "sky", "do" with "too" & "can" with "man"; you can almost hear the rhyming dictionary being turned.

[/QUOTE]

hehe...do you think he needed a book to come up with those?
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    hehe...do you think he needed a book to come up with those?
    Reminds me of this
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Have heard a couple songs from Chinese Democracy, fairly rubbish. I wouldn't bother with it, it's not even the real GnR.
    As Gelman said, the blues is gun, I personally like most of the sinks I have heard from that album, I first heard some of them 7 years ago though so it will be a bit strange listening to them as "new" songs. Saw this version of GNR in 02 as well, agree that it's not real GNR, but Axl is such a frontman live, there's noone better

[
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Beautiful Boy is a bit comfy, don't you think? Pretty enough, but a bit of a middle aged song by his standards. I wouldn't rank it amongst his finest work anyway.

WRT Imagine, I think you're right to some extent. Repetition has paled it quite a lot, but whenever I hear it I can't help but think that if John had've known it'd be so ubiquitous he'd have spent a bit longer on the lyrics. He couples "try" with "sky", "do" with "too" & "can" with "man"; you can almost hear the rhyming dictionary being turned.
    Not a fan of Imagine's lyrics myself, too Marxist for my liking mind you

I don't think he was, if memory serves it was why he didn't leave the US from about 1971 onwards, because he was worried about getting back in what with his various "un-American" activities. Nixon's regime certainly spent a long time trying to deport him in the early-mid 70s.

As for McCartney staying close to his roots, I wouldn't have said East Sussex was that close tbh.
    LOL, what I meant about Macca is that you always see him up here, comes and plays concerts in Liverpool and most importantly still has the same accent that he had 40 years ago

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    His sense of humour, he was the most grounded Beatle, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Something, Concert for Bangladesh. Always hard to choose between John and Paul but George has always been a favourite.
    Pretty much agreed tbh
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Here's one for our antipodean musos: what's happened to all the Aussie bands? In the 80s you produced some genuinely great bands: The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, The Church, Crowded House (kinda... ) with obviously Sir Nicholas's boys active too.

Since then: very little. Or very little that's made an impact up here. I don't mind Jet, but wouldn't dream of mentioning them in the same breath as the others. Even Wolfmother (not my cuppa char, tbh, but I at least knew who they were) have given it away now. Where have all the Aussies gone, people?!
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Here's one for our antipodean musos: what's happened to all the Aussie bands? In the 80s you produced some genuinely great bands: The Triffids, The Go-Betweens, The Church, Crowded House (kinda... ) with obviously Sir Nicholas's boys active too.

Since then: very little. Or very little that's made an impact up here. I don't mind Jet, but wouldn't dream of mentioning them in the same breath as the others. Even Wolfmother (not my cuppa char, tbh, but I at least knew who they were) have given it away now. Where have all the Aussies gone, people?!
    Yeah it's quite bare, Augie March are great but can't think of anyone else of note at the moment. On the songwriting front, I read this article a couple weeks back - link

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

You mean good or popular? There are quite a few popular Aussie bands around.

Aussie music scene is tough to make a go of if you don't play pub rock or rock of some sort. As someone in a fusion-type band, I can relate! Wasn't entirely upset when Wolfmother folded, though.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Yeah it's quite bare, Augie March are great but can't think of anyone else of note at the moment. On the songwriting front, I read this article a couple weeks back - link
    Interesting read, thanks. McLennan sounds interesting; comparisons to Scott Walker & Brian Wilson are high-praise indeed. Will have to check him out.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    You mean good or popular? There are quite a few popular Aussie bands around.

Aussie music scene is tough to make a go of if you don't play pub rock or rock of some sort. As someone in a fusion-type band, I can relate! Wasn't entirely upset when Wolfmother folded, though.
    Ha, the former, definitely.

I mean, obviously I'm aware of your Silverchairs, your Grinspoons & your Savage Gardens and I'm sure they keep kept their record companies' accountants very happy, but peuuw.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Boy do The Decemberists suck. They just plain suck. The suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Boy do The Decemberists suck. They just plain suck. The suckiest bunch of sucks that ever did suck.
    I'm a huge fan. I hate NME though. In fact, i hate all music critics. They're physically not capable of writing an article with no bull**** in it.

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post

Page 8 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread Information