Cricket Player Manager
Page 74 of 126 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1889
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Got the new Arctic Monkeys and Foo Fighters albums today.

Both birthday presents but very much ones given the prior stamp of approval.

Arctic Monkeys album is bloody good. Need to give it a headphones listen before I make my mind up about just how much I like it.

I was taking a risk to an extent with the Foos, as I went off them gradually from the 4th album onwards, as I've said previously. However, my older brother told me I would love the new one. Yep. Massive return to form.
    Also got a George Harrison compilation. Goes without saying that that"s absolutely outstanding.

My other musical anecode to bore you with for the day is that my 4 year old daughter declared Liam Gallagher her favourite Beatle today. I don't know whether what's funnier, that or the time she asked me what the Beady Eye singer was doing in another band (oasis, FTR).

Anyway.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The Smiths Vs. The Cure | Nerve.com

Missing, of course, is the section of the article where they discuss how painful both are.

Last edited by Top_Cat; 16-06-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    The Smith were just a bad Orange Juice

and i don't like Orange Juice
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Nah, **** ya both.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

I suppose people who don't know anything about post-punk/start of indie are looking at my post and thinking "what the **** has orange juice got to do with music"

but yeah morrissey is a ****

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    AWTA.

Aphex Twin > Morrissey
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

that's all well and good but Aphex Twin is totally unrelated to the topic at hand

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Only trolling Brumby tbh.

play the man

Morrissey's racism is deeply ingrained in his music imo. it's no surprise it's no good.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Only trolling Brumby tbh.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    I suppose people who don't know anything about post-punk/start of indie are looking at my post and thinking "what the **** has orange juice got to do with music"

but yeah morrissey is a ****
    Never much got on with Orange Juice. Far more in common with your precious Gang of Four than The Smiths to my ears. Mining that same white-boy funk/soul stream, albeit with a much camper lead singer.

Morrissey might well be a ****, but he's a supremely talented one. He's never whored himself out tho (when do you hear Smiths' songs on adverts?) nor bent his principles to curry favour. He is a supreme egoist and he's too smart a cookie not to realise that his behaviour sometimes makes him look like a **** (true story: a mate's girlfriend is the bookings manager at The Corn Exchange in Cambridge where the great man played a couple of years ago; Morrissey refused to use the venue until the leather sofas and all meat on the menu were removed), but his genius is his unique ability to document his own pathology.

Pffff I'm a Mekons man!

My problem with Orange Juice is all in the voice. Much like Morrissey. But yeah yeah yeah created indie etc. I'd argue The Clean have a stronger case but nvm. Morrissey - during the Smiths and before he went to the skinheads - was all about being camp. The comparison between Edwyn and Morrissey is fairly obvious. Campness, wit, icons within their own corner of the world etc.

argh all the vege stuff pisses me off it's one thing to say meat is murder, it's another to tell your bandmates that you can't be seen eating meat and all that other kooky stuff he's done. going off stage at a festival because of the smell of meat. yeah yeah there's nothing wrong with it but there's also nothing wrong with cooking meat. Lawrence from Felt should have been given a knighthood for going around and saying he has a fear of vegetables

and btw i've never understood the fuss about 'selling' out to ads, movies etc. i mean it's not as if they're not gonna put anything in place! you have a duty to ensure something good gets played! now changing massive fees for some indie movie......The Television Personalities got on an ad here btw. Amazing! And this was before MGMT

Are you trolling or do you really think Moz is a racist?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    One for The Beatles fans.

What are your favourite solo/post-fabs works by former Beatles? My collection and knowledge isn't currently as complete as my Fabs collection but form the stuff I know/own, these are my favourites:

Paul

Best album: McCartney or Band on the Run.
    Best song: Every Night

John

Best album: Plastic Ono Band
    Best song: Working Class Hero or Watching the Wheels

George

Don't own/have knowledge of enough of his albums to make a statement. If he bettered All Things Must Pass it's some achievement though. I only finally bought the album last week; when the dust settles it is going to threaten the upper echelons of my favourite albums list.

Best song is When We Was Fab, delightful tune.

Worth noting that I consider Stand By Me and Got My Mind Set On You amongst my favourite Lennon/Harrison songs respectively, interesting really that such great songwriters have covers rank so highly. What covers they are, though.

Macca's albums are slowly being remastered and reissues over the next few years, three out so far. The sound quality is amazing, and if you get either the special or deluxe editions you get a ****load with them. I'd love to get the deluxe but they are about 50 - for the special edition of BOTR you get 2 CDs and a DVD and for McCartney and McCartney II you get two CDs, with the second disc in each case being full of outtakes, singles from the period, live versions etc. If you're a fan I would highly recommend them.

Lennon & Harrison both have remastered box sets available as well that are worth a look if you have the cash.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    There's no Mogwai sideshows for Splendour in the Grass this year, right? Sucks.

Got Modest Mouse, Elbow and Mars Volta tickets at least.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Thread Information