Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Lindsay.

Oh sorry, I thought we were doing favorite B*witched.
    RIP Craigos

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Paul. Anyone who can sing while playing the bass is awesome.
    orz

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    All of them.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent TBY View Post
    Paul. Anyone who can sing while playing the bass is awesome.
    Not quite anyone:

Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!

Some of them are still pretty decent...
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    For every Working Class Hero he also gave us a Beautiful Boy or the hideous testament to banality that is Imagine.

I am trying to think about what exactly is wrong with 'Beautiful Boy'...good song IMO. Solo Lennon did do some crap though.

Do you not think that 'Imagine' has simply been overplayed? I can't be arsed with it, but I am not sure that it isn't that it gets drummed into over the years
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Think this thread has largely untapped potential. I've just been watching Pop Britannia, which this week featured the 60s, so I thought I'd bung out an old chestnut for discussion: who's your favourite Beatle & why?

I'm a Lennon man myself, although not unreservedly so. His work with the fabs generally kicked more at the limitations of the pop song format than Paul's did & in doing so pushed the boundaries of the art back. It isn't much of a stretch to say that without A Day In The Life or Lucy... there would've been no prog rock. Although whether one considers this a blessing or not is another debate in itself.

Paul probably had the better ear for a pop tune, but always seemed to be moving towards the centre of the establishment, which the spikier JWL never did. I'd like to imagine Lennon would've turned a knighthood down. I do think Lennon's post-Beatles output is vastly overrated tho. For every Working Class Hero he also gave us a Beautiful Boy or the hideous testament to banality that is Imagine. It's true he never gave us a Frog Chorus, but there's every possibility that but for Chapman's extreme intervention he could well have done.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. Who's the fabbest of the four for you?
    Worth its own thread this discussion.

Anyhow, Paul for mine. Don't know why, my favourite couple of Beatles songs are probably Lennon tunes, but in general I think i just about prefer Macca's stuff. Think he gets grossly underrepresented sometime when people talk about Lennon being the innovator. You say that without A Day in the Life and Lucy in the... there might not have been a prog rock, but whose idea was Sgt. Peppers? And the second side of Abbey Road?

Lennon started as the stronger Beatles but from 66/67 he was becoming disinterested and McCartney (and Harrison) kept the group going, this is when some of the best stuff was released.

His solo material is a bit hit and miss, there is some very poor stuff out there, but also amidst it some good stuff, I still haven't purchased his McCartney album but there are some very good songs on there. He did a few decent tunes in the wake of Britpop as well, undoubtedly inspired by the Oasis-led interest in The Beatles.

He was also a very witty lyricist in his day, and of all The Beatles he stayed truest to his roots. Lennon was I think a US citizen by the time of his death, Harrison had a very transatlantic accent and Ringo sounds a bit posh, there is nothing wrong with any of this but as a Merseysider you have to love Macca and the way he still spends so much time round here
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    ****, just did a bit of GNR searching and found that Chinese Democracy has an official release date of September 26th..sure it will be postponed but as far as I can remember over my 7 years of looking this up online I've never got an actual official date...not to self...take that day of work and find a quiet room to listen to it...be underwhelmed as 10 years of anticipation can never ever live up to what you want it to be
    Have heard a couple songs from Chinese Democracy, fairly rubbish. I wouldn't bother with it, it's not even the real GnR.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

John.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    I am trying to think about what exactly is wrong with 'Beautiful Boy'...good song IMO. Solo Lennon did do some crap though.

Do you not think that 'Imagine' has simply been overplayed? I can't be arsed with it, but I am not sure that it isn't that it gets drummed into over the years
    Beautiful Boy is a bit comfy, don't you think? Pretty enough, but a bit of a middle aged song by his standards. I wouldn't rank it amongst his finest work anyway.

WRT Imagine, I think you're right to some extent. Repetition has paled it quite a lot, but whenever I hear it I can't help but think that if John had've known it'd be so ubiquitous he'd have spent a bit longer on the lyrics. He couples "try" with "sky", "do" with "too" & "can" with "man"; you can almost hear the rhyming dictionary being turned.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Worth its own thread this discussion.

Anyhow, Paul for mine. Don't know why, my favourite couple of Beatles songs are probably Lennon tunes, but in general I think i just about prefer Macca's stuff. Think he gets grossly underrepresented sometime when people talk about Lennon being the innovator. You say that without A Day in the Life and Lucy in the... there might not have been a prog rock, but whose idea was Sgt. Peppers? And the second side of Abbey Road?

Lennon started as the stronger Beatles but from 66/67 he was becoming disinterested and McCartney (and Harrison) kept the group going, this is when some of the best stuff was released.

His solo material is a bit hit and miss, there is some very poor stuff out there, but also amidst it some good stuff, I still haven't purchased his McCartney album but there are some very good songs on there. He did a few decent tunes in the wake of Britpop as well, undoubtedly inspired by the Oasis-led interest in The Beatles.

He was also a very witty lyricist in his day, and of all The Beatles he stayed truest to his roots. Lennon was I think a US citizen by the time of his death, Harrison had a very transatlantic accent and Ringo sounds a bit posh, there is nothing wrong with any of this but as a Merseysider you have to love Macca and the way he still spends so much time round here
    I don't think he was, if memory serves it was why he didn't leave the US from about 1971 onwards, because he was worried about getting back in what with his various "un-American" activities. Nixon's regime certainly spent a long time trying to deport him in the early-mid 70s.

As for McCartney staying close to his roots, I wouldn't have said East Sussex was that close tbh.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    George Martin.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

He had a green card, but wasn't a citizen.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Have heard a couple songs from Chinese Democracy, fairly rubbish. I wouldn't bother with it, it's not even the real GnR.
    The Blues is fantastic.

Beautiful Boy is a bit comfy, don't you think? Pretty enough, but a bit of a middle aged song by his standards. I wouldn't rank it amongst his finest work anyway.
    I think it's grown in stature since his death, the lyrics 'I can hardly wait, to see you to come of age', are particularly haunting.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    George.
    Because....?

Page 7 of 121 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread Information