Page 63 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

New Mogwai is amazing. That is all.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    So true. Got to see them play Mexican Grand Prix as their encore live a few weeks ago and it was stunning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

White Lies are a strange band. I'm not sure what to make of them. They have some absolutely stellar songs - two (Death and Bigger Than Us) would be comfortably in my top 20 songs of all time - and yet I don't much like either of their albums as a whole. I've given both albums plenty of listens, hoping the other songs would grow on me, but they just haven't. Most of their songs do nothing for me at all.

It's weird that a band can produce a small number of songs that I absolutely adore and fall so far short of that mark with the rest of their material.

since rh seems the second most popular (or at least talked about) band on here, anyone up for a songs battle?
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Would definitely be up for that, although I'm not sure if I could differentiate between some of their songs.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Not a bad idea.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I would recommend using the 'Brumby' format that I'm using for BOTBS. Makes things more interests if you have relatively low interest and is a fun format if you have high interest. IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Strongly AWTA.

New IAMX album is pretty interesting as well.

And yeah, would be up for a battle of Radiohead songs, would be interested to see the results.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I love Dig Out Your Soul. I shelled out fifty quid when it came out for a special boxed edition and it was worth every penny. I find the oasis albums hard to rank but these days tend to rank their last two and first two as the best. Absolutely loved Heathen Chemistry and had it on repeat for about 6 months after release though so I have at times had that high in my list.

Will try and rank them later, but its hard
    So I had a bit of a read back through this thread tonight and saw that Brumby and I both posted lists prior to the last oasis studio album being released. Re-evaluated the albums a lot over the past couple of years and seeing as I'm listening to them heaps (mainly thanks to the Beady Eye album being so good tbf that I have it on rotation with oasis's back catalogue) I thought I'd get round to this.

I am excluding The Masterplan, Familiar to Millions, Stop the Clocks and Time Flies...1994-2009 for obvious reasons although I might try and work out where I'd squeeze The Masterplan.

1. Definitely Maybe - Sometimes the easy choices are easy because they are the right choice. This isn't just the best oasis album; it's one of the best albums of all-time, by anybody. Certainly, it sits in my top three, tussling for the 'best ever debut' title with GNR's Appetite for Destruction and sitting just behind Revolver. No band has ever opened their debut with such a statement of intent as Rock N' Roll Star; the Gallaghers said once in an interview that they used to get laughed at by the crowd of three when they played that at their gigs circa 91-94. It would be easy to go track by track when praising this album, there isn't a bad one on it, but aside from the seminal Live Forever ("you'd be ****in' full of yourself if you'd written Live Forever" - Noel Gallagher) the highlight must surely be Columbia. I have read and heard many people cite various things Noel's contemporaries, such as Thom Yorke and Damon Albarn, have come up with that he wouldn't be able to produce and it works both ways, nobody in Noel's generation has done anything to touch everything oasis achieve on that song.

2. Don't Believe The Truth - The most widely appreciated of their post-Knebworth works, and for good reason. This is oasis all grown up - still playing straightforward rock and roll with no attempt to being something they weren't, but at the same time sounding fresh, interested and modern. Although Heathen Chemistry got mixed reviews, it took a lot of pressure of Noel when they were able to release Songbird as a single. The result on the follow-up? Noel produces some of his finest work; The Importance of Being Idle is the sort of song Paul McCartney would have written - sure the content leans more towards Lennon's I'm Only Sleeping but the way the song tells a story is very Maccaesque, as well as the structure. Rarely do you find Noel as scathing as Mucky Fingers and Liam's vocal delivery has rarely been bettered than on Andy Bell's Keep The Dream Alive. I've maybe been kind placing this in 2nd but I've played it a lot lately - it's a masterpiece.

3. (What's the Story) Morning Glory? - Apparently this is the third biggest-selling album in the UK of all-time (Queen's Greatest Hits tops the list, presumably due to Brumby buying so many copies, Sgt. Peppers second). The reason for that is because it's an album chocker full of classics. The best thing about it, though, is that the lesser known tracks are among the best, in particular the quite marvellous Cast No Shadow. At the risk of repeating myself, for someone whose lyrics garner a fair bit of criticism, Noel has quite the knack of saying something that you completely understand because you yourself have felt like that. And Morning Glory is one of the finest love songs to cocaine that has ever been written (sorry Noel, I've never believed you that it was about having a shave, even when I didn't know what the mirror and the razorblade line meant). And of course there's about five or six worldwide hits on here. The thing that probably keeps it a place lower than it deserves to be is that I don't need to actively listen to it to hear two thirds of it every few weeks and so it kinda suffers in the same way Nevermind does in that respect.

4. Dig Out Your Soul - It saddens me that it all had to end because this album showed that they still had so much to offer. Some people say that the reason Noel never had the singles collection in chronological order was because he didn't want their decline to be so obvious but I disagree, the middle was probably their weakest period. This was in a similar vein to DBTT but with some different sounds in there. Falling Down gives us an interesting insight into what Noel might do next and Gem's To Be Where There's Life is a stirring piece of psychedelia. Liam contributed his best work yet to this - I'm Outta Time and Bag It Up and The Turning are vintage oasis rockers but with a 21st century feel. I don't know what distinguishes DBTT from this - can't quite put my finger on it but there's just something missing - but nonetheless this is an album oasis should be proud of, and assuming they never reform it's a finale that brings things to a satisfying close.

5. Heathen Chemistry - You know, there was a time I would have had this as high as second. 2002 was a crazy year, I got this the day it came out, liked it, went to see them a month later and played the album every day for six months there onwards. I just couldn't get enough of it. The downside to that of course is that still now it is hard for me to put this on the whole way through. It has some belting tunes though; the singles are all oasis anthems (well, except for She Is Love), and Gem's Hung in a Bad Place is probably my favourite non-Gallagher contribution to an oasis LP. Liam's Born on a Different Cloud truly quite special as well. First listen I was a bit miffed that he had just plonked a load of Lennon lyrics in there, and then I realised it was about his son Lennon and really thought it a nice touch.

6. Be Here Now - The one that got away. Kids, when you are at a party and your mate offers you some of the white stuff, whack this on and you'll understand why you should say no. Underneath 37 layers of guitar there is a truly great album bursting to get out. The actual songwriting for this is fantastic, I reckon, but the songs go on for up to four or five minutes longer than they need to at times, and there really was no need to overdub quite so many guitars on there. But, that's what happens when chemicals are telling you how great you are. The singles are all great (All Around the World is truly fantastic for about five or six minutes) and there are some belters on there. If someone had either had the balls to tell Noel enough was enough, or hold off the album for another twelve months, then I believe this could have been as high as second. You'd also want to swap Magic Pie for Angel Child and The Girl in the Dirty Shirt for Stay Young as well, I reckon. Ah well, I bloody love it anyway.

7. Standing on the Shoulder of Giants - Worth mentioning that I loved this on release and I still really enjoy it today. The reason it's bottom? Well firstly, it's 7th out 7 albums I really love. Secondly, it contains ten tracks and I'd say a couple at least are throwaway. When it's good, it's really bloody good though: ****in' in the Bushes, Go Let Out, Who Feels Love, Gas Panic!, Where Did It All Go Wrong - these are all exciting songs and the trip-hop beats on Gas Panic! still scare me a little and the feeling you get when you're at an oasis gig waiting for them to come on and ****in in the Bushes starts is hard to beat. Little James has attracted much scorn over the years but a couple of things to consider. Firstly, he never presented it to the band for them to consider, Noel and Alan overheard him playing it in a room and decided to record all the music when Liam wasn't there so all he had to do was add the vocal. And secondly, yeah the lyrics are basic and some might say cringeworthy. But anyone with children can appreciate the "Thank you for your smile, you make it all worthwhile, for us" lyric as one that really hits home. Also, very recently Roll It Over has finally started to win me over. This album needs Let's All Make Believe instead of Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is and Carry us All instead of I Can See a Liar (but let Liam sing it). You know, after writing all that I feel harsh sticking it in last but then if I out something else below it, I'd feel the same way. Touche.

As for The Masterplan, hard to know where I'd rank it but there is a definite case to be made that it could be as high as second. I've never been convinced that the tracklist was quite as nailed on as it could have been although I believe it was voted for online by fans. Any album containing Acquiesce and The Masterplan must be amazing, and Rockin' Chair, Fade Away, Listen Up. Ahhh, the greatest b-side band of all-time quite comfortably. I'd definitely like Step Out, The Fame, (I Got) The Fever, Angel Child, Alive, Cloudburst to get a look in but what would I get rid of? Dunno. There have been plenty of great b-sides since this as well.

Anyway, long ramble over, mainly just did that for my own benefit to try and work out where they all fit and why.
    Last edited by GIMH; 18-03-2011 at 06:27 PM.

cpr
    Columbia - What. A. Song
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Know it's early days, but where would the Beady Eye album rank?

It's an honest decision not to go on under the "Oasis" soubriquet because it's almost certainly cost them a few thousand LP sales.

As I've intimated before I suspect posterity will be kind to SOTSOG; it's definitely the most "out there" Oasis album.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Yeah, I can see myself bumping SOTSOG up above Be Here Now at times and its best bits are better than Heathen Chemistry's, but its lowest points are oasis's lowest IMO.

Good question about Beady Eye. You're definitely right that it cost them sales, every studio album oasis ever did went straight to #1, this has gone in it 3 and then dropped off. Liam has said he's not fussed about sales, he just wants people who are interested to enjoy it, and given the name change it's hard not to believe him. He's singing better live, based on what I've watched on utoob, than he has for some time as well.

At the moment I'm really enjoying it but I think when the dust settles it will probably wind up ahead of Be Here Now, maybe ahead of Heathen Chemistry but definitely no higher. It's a good album, Liam has written his best ever tunes and you feel like the three of them are working with more freedom than they were in oasis. But Noel as a songwriter obviously leaves a huge hole.

Where would you rank SOTSOG these days Brumby? Has your re-evaluation of it in recent years listed it off the bottom?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Where would you rank SOTSOG these days Brumby? Has your re-evaluation of it in recent years listed it off the bottom?
    To be honest I'd probably need to listen to all the post-Morning Glory albums again to give any kind of answer.

Think Definitely Maybe & Morning Glory set in stone as #s 1 & 2 respectively, but aside from those I'm not sure. Think Be Here Now will be #7, but ages since I've listened to it in full. Maybe a decade or more.

I know we have with different tastes, but in my experience, going a while without listening to Be Here Now makes me rank it lower and then when I do play it I remember how great some of the tunes are. Never gone as long as a decade but defo a few years.

Ever heard Let's All Make Believe and Carry Us All? SOTSOG-era b-sides that would improve that album IMO.

Thread Information