Page 62 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I think Imagine has probably paled through familiarity. Were it not so utterly ubiquitous one might be better able to judge its merits as a song but, as it is, we're all inclined to throw stuff at the radio/telly when it comes on.

Video truly vomit worthy as well.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    convinced 'Paul's' version of it is better tbh: YouTube - Paul McCartney - Imagine (Parody)

also iirc September Gurls is only like 200 in Rolling Stone's list so **** them
    Last edited by Spikey; 13-02-2011 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think Imagine has probably paled through familiarity. Were it not so utterly ubiquitous one might be better able to judge its merits as a song but, as it is, we're all inclined to throw stuff at the radio/telly when it comes on.
    Yeah agreed. Though, I personally reckon some other songs which suffered a similar fate like Love Will Tear Us Apart, Smells like Teen Spirit and Good Vibrations are still recognizably immense quality even now, after coming out in a different time and being incredibly overplayed.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    also iirc September Gurls is only like 200 in Rolling Stone's list so **** them
    DBAC.

Big Star are/were ****ing immense.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yeah agreed. Though, I personally reckon some other songs which suffered a similar fate like Love Will Tear Us Apart, Smells like Teen Spirit and Good Vibrations are still recognizably immense quality even now, after coming out in a different time and being incredibly overplayed.
    This be true.

I think the songs you name have the universality of Imagine but what they have that it doesn't are more complex arrangements. I'd also suggest Weather With You by Crowded House is another example. Because it sounds so familiar the arrangement doesn't jar, but when you analyse it the opening chords are very weird but utterly genius.

In the cases of LWTUA and Teen Spirit the fact they haven't paled quite so much might be at least partly to do with the vocals being so low in the mix too; John's voice is right there in your face on Imagine and there's no hiding place for its trite lyrics.

Might just be Imagine's a bit poo too, obvz.

on the rare days I admit they may be a greater song than September Gurls, it's usually because it's a day where I think Thirteen, The Ballad of El Goodo or Thank You Friends is the greatest song ever made

(Who are Big Star I hear everyone else saying? They were a 70's band who made three brilliant albums and then broke up, with the mastermind behind them Alex Chilton (who was a bit of a pop star in the 60's) proceeding to more or less waste his considerable talent right up until his death (although I quite like some of his solo stuff). Despite every song on their first albums being #1 single potential they ended up selling even less than the Velvet Underground but like the Velvets they ended up being one the main influences in 80's indie rock/pop scene with the likes of R.E.M and The Replacements being huge fans along with Teenage Fanclub in the 90's. The theme song to That 70's Show is a Big Star, although for whatever reason they prefer to use some cover of it. You should immediately head out and buy #1 Record, Radio City and Third/Sister Lovers after reading this post. And maybe that Keep An Eye On The Sky boxset too.)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Saw Return To Forever last night, pretty immense in general but reckon the blokes were on auto-pilot for large chunks of the gig. Notable mainly because it's been so long since these guys played this material (25 years). The only time they seemed to be having fun was when they just rocked out a bit or when watching Stanley Clarke do something awesome. Clarke the only bloke who seems to be near the top of his game and still evolving as a muso (the new track written by him - meh), Chick Corea was good in general and great in patches, Ponty was meh, Gambale was meh, Lenny White was Lenny White.

Good to see these old fusion nerds coming out of the woodwork again but I do wonder where the new ones are. Wish Hiromi would tour OZ.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 13-02-2011 at 05:06 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    So I decided to listen to (What's the Story) Morning Glory? en route to work this morning. It's not my favourite oasis album; I definitely prefer their debut. Nonetheless, it's such a classic album isn't it? How many other albums have been released in the modern era where album tracks have garenered the amount of radio play She's Electric, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova did? Everyone knows these songs and there's always a group singing them at the end of the night at a party. And that's before you look at the actual singles, Wonderwall, Roll With It, Don't Look Back In Anger and Some Might Say. Timeless classics that you can't resist. And I've not even mentioned Hello, Hey Now or the best track on the album Cast No Shadow.

I know everyone went off them after this, I didn't. But really, if Noel had held back some of the early b-sides, there was another album the public would have eaten up there. Listen Up, Fade Away, Acquiesce, Talk Tonight, The Masterplan...

Great album, great band. Miss them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    WAC z

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Anyone else here heard of The Glitch Mob? Literally only just heard them for about 45 mins but I already love them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    So I decided to listen to (What's the Story) Morning Glory? en route to work this morning. It's not my favourite oasis album; I definitely prefer their debut. Nonetheless, it's such a classic album isn't it? How many other albums have been released in the modern era where album tracks have garenered the amount of radio play She's Electric, Morning Glory and Champagne Supernova did? Everyone knows these songs and there's always a group singing them at the end of the night at a party. And that's before you look at the actual singles, Wonderwall, Roll With It, Don't Look Back In Anger and Some Might Say. Timeless classics that you can't resist. And I've not even mentioned Hello, Hey Now or the best track on the album Cast No Shadow.

I know everyone went off them after this, I didn't. But really, if Noel had held back some of the early b-sides, there was another album the public would have eaten up there. Listen Up, Fade Away, Acquiesce, Talk Tonight, The Masterplan...

Great album, great band. Miss them.
    I didnt.Easily my favorite post 80s band.Incredibly,my favorite Oasis song is 'The importance of being idle'.

Good man, I didn't either but generally they fell out of favour

Although all their studio albums went to #1 in the UK as did the singles collection released last June

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    What did you think of Dig Out Your Soul?

I thought it was pretty good.I was pretty surprised that the album was so undermarketed,or maybe that's the impression i got sitting in my part of the world.

I don't think they've recorded a bad album TBH.Like you mentioned,they've probably just fallen out of favor ever since the Britpop wave ended.
    Last edited by salman85; 10-03-2011 at 02:11 AM.

I love Dig Out Your Soul. I shelled out fifty quid when it came out for a special boxed edition and it was worth every penny. I find the oasis albums hard to rank but these days tend to rank their last two and first two as the best. Absolutely loved Heathen Chemistry and had it on repeat for about 6 months after release though so I have at times had that high in my list.

Will try and rank them later, but its hard

Thread Information