Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Ya I have the list. I wanted to know which era was good, post-Bon or Bon era. You provided the answer in that it was the Bon era. (Y)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Sony must be laughing into their money pile.
    Yeah no ****.

For people who don't know, X-Factor is a competition where the winner signs to Sony/BMG. RATM are signed to Epic......who are a Sony subsidiary.

The whole thing is probably a set-up.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

cpr
    fair enough piece by Tom Morello

Esp when he starts on about Cowell banking on no1 and the fact thats its a formulaic pop song already a hit in the last couple of years.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yeah no ****.

For people who don't know, X-Factor is a competition where the winner signs to Sony/BMG. RATM are signed to Epic......who are a Sony subsidiary.

The whole thing is probably a set-up.
    Would have to say it's a brilliant piece of PR by them, as much as i hate it. It perfectly caters for the simple people that like dross manufactured pop crap as well as those 'alternative' types who like what is actually a pretty average song.

Just leaves the musical visionary indie types on the outside crying with their heads in their hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    Would have to say it's a brilliant piece of PR by them, as much as i hate it. It perfectly caters for the simple people that like dross manufactured pop crap as well as those 'alternative' types who like what is actually a pretty average song.

Just leaves the musical visionary indie types on the outside crying with their heads in their hands.
    Agree with former but not with the latter. Don't think those who were never aiming for a major record deal will be that affected. There's never been greater opportunity for bands to find their own way with heaps of independents out there to sign with. Best part of signing with an independent too is that you always have control of your music. Got two mates in bands signed with Sony/BMG and they're hating their musical lives now so there's no way any of my bands will be shooting for a major. **** that, there's plenty of money to be made by other methods.

cpr
    Gotta love peoples lack of concept. So many people slating the RATM song by saying 'Yes but Simon Cowells with Sony so he's making money off both, he wins LOL'

Hmm, no. Syco are a subsidary of Sony, Cowell only makes a bit off Syco releases, not everything released on Sony! Bit like saying every time you buy a single in the shop, the guy behind the till makes more money. But then explaining basic economics to those who buy X-factor singles is pushing it a bit....

****ing hate X-Factor with every fibre of my being, couldn't give a flying **** if RATM are on the same record label. This show has become all pervasive, Xmas number ones used to be a bit of a laugh, now they're a procession of irritating karaoke singers bland covers getting an utterly undeserved win.

There's no good saying "if you don't like it, don't watch it", because I never watch it but 5live, Talksport the Times all chatter on about it endlessly, it's inescapable here. So it's not a victory against corporates, it's a ****ing victory against a ****ing poor version of Opportunity Knocks which has taking over the ****ing country. Most of all it's a victory against that high-waisted big-headed ****, Cowell.

I downloaded it, and probably won't ever play it, cost me 98p for two copies, money well spent, I think.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Gotta love peoples lack of concept. So many people slating the RATM song by saying 'Yes but Simon Cowells with Sony so he's making money off both, he wins LOL'

Hmm, no. Syco are a subsidary of Sony, Cowell only makes a bit off Syco releases, not everything released on Sony! Bit like saying every time you buy a single in the shop, the guy behind the till makes more money. But then explaining basic economics to those who buy X-factor singles is pushing it a bit....

He founded Syco. Syco TV runs X-Factor. Cowell's company is making tons from anything X-Factor-related. The parent, Sony, are the ones making money off both.

Y'know who makes absolutely nothing from these releases? The artists. RATM would be getting mechanical royalties but that's it. All sales go to Syco and Epic and, by extension, Sony.

Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

He founded Syco. Syco TV runs X-Factor. Cowell's company is making tons from anything X-Factor-related. The parent, Sony, are the ones making money off both.

Y'know who makes absolutely nothing from these releases? The artists. RATM would be getting mechanical royalties but that's it. All sales go to Syco and Epic and, by extension, Sony.
    My point still stands that Cowells not making money off RATM or their sales. People are seeming to imply that every download of Killing in the Name is going directly into Cowells pocket.

RATM have stated that the vast majority of anything they make from this single is going to Shelter UK anyway. Joe's probably better off than he was 3 months ago n all (not to mention the money he'll be raking in from interviews about it all week).

Ahh, just posted on Twitter by Charlie Brooker, let's make this number one next XMas. Really not to be clicked on if you fear offence.

I tried to get that when it came out, but it was banned shockingly enough. Woman, with the b-side Rocker was very good too. All off the top of my head so I may be wrong.

"Got no money for food, but that ain't a drag, coz I get my kicks from a plastic bag"

ANWL

My point still stands that Cowells not making money off RATM or their sales. People are seeming to imply that every download of Killing in the Name is going directly into Cowells pocket.
    Myself, I hadn't heard that but then I'm not in the UK. In the overall scheme of things, it's all a bit meh.

In a sense, Cowell's right though; what does Killing In The Name winning the Xmas single prove? I mean, I'm hard-pressed to criticise far more successful musicians than myself too much but RATM's image and material subsequent to their first album was just as carefully crafted and marketed as any reality TV show winner. Tom Morello's 'save the world from the abyss of bland mediocrity' comments are hilarious considering we're talking about a song of theirs which was stupidly famous over 10 years ago from the debut album of a band who released two more albums of blah + an album of covers after they broke up.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I agree with T_C, it's why I never took to RATM even though they were the band you had to like in the circles I used to move in (the irony was never lost on me).
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent TBY View Post
    Love that track.
    Not a huge fan of the World Cup remix though.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    I am starting listening to music again and the artists I am going to focus on are Bob Dylan, Enrique and AC/DC.

Can you guys give me recommendations of albums for Dylan and AC/DC?
    Is there any sort of entertainment which you do not think of a some kind of study?

Still Dylan is one of my very favourites so am not going to complain. Really depends on what you what you want really? If you like the early stuff then The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan is the one to go for but I would start with Bringin it all back home has some of his most famous acoustic songs and his very first electric ones (is also my favourite). Followig on from that came Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde which are often considered his best. Then there is Blood on the Tracks and Desire from the 70's. I also love his newer stuff Time out of Mind from 1997 especially but would not start with that.

Basically it is all amazing Just avoid the 80's (apart from Blind Willie Mctell) and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Pothas; 21-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.

Page 50 of 119 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread Information