Cricket Player Manager
Page 22 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fair enough. I don't really think it sounds much like Slash tbh, but I can see where you are coming from (I do love the solo myself which is why I asked). Always interested in hearing 'neutral' opinions on these things though; on the GNR forums there are many people who are way into Bucket's guitar work on that whole track (myself included) so was just interested in what non-GNR fans thought.

Would get you to check out some of the other tracks that Bucket is on but I'm too scared of your rejection now
    Mate, that's just my opinion, I didn't like it. If you dig it, though, that's what matters. I'll give it another listen later.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-12-2008 at 05:06 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Oh, of course, in seriousness it doesn't matter what people think, as I love the whole album. Always interested to hear what guitarists think of stuff that I adore on that front though.
    Phil Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Okay I had another listen. I think my major problem is not how it starts but how it ends. I guess, Buckethead lays the groundwork for a huge, intense build-up with a nice bluesy start which ends with what I see as a really weak melodic run, like i said, something that sounds like it was a first-take.

I just compare it to something like this by Buckethead;

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

That's video taken on a crap camera in the audience and the song takes a while to warm up. Just when you're wondering where it's going to go from that pretty but fairly dull melody, at 2:45 Bucket cranks the gain and tears into that fast bluesy solo at 3:38. That's followed up by an ultra-fast dominant lydian run which rips my head off every time.

The long build up had that payoff whereas the solo in Sorry didn't, for mine. That sorta sums up my issue with it, really. Starts off nice, doesn't go on enough of a journey for me.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 23-12-2008 at 05:11 AM.

I got a this video is no longer available message from the link you posted.

I remember Bucket's solo slot at the GNR show I went to in 2002, he had everyone in awe. Played a bit of Star Wars music IIRC, and then went off on his own way. Certainly a guitarist I enjoyed watching very much.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on his work on the other tracks, I've always been a fan of his work on Madagascar (pretty much the first new GNR tune I heard him take lead for was that back in 2001 when I downloaded the Rock in Rio comeback from napster). Have often thought about buying his solo stuff, especially since Leeds 2002, but I don't know if I'd give them a fair amount of rotation. Electric Tears is when I've had recommended to me

I got a this video is no longer available message from the link you posted.
    I literally just watched it! might be because you're in the UK. Just search for Buckethead, look for the ballad. It's the only one I've seen on YouTube which is a slow one.

I remember Bucket's solo slot at the GNR show I went to in 2002, he had everyone in awe. Played a bit of Star Wars music IIRC, and then went off on his own way. Certainly a guitarist I enjoyed watching very much.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on his work on the other tracks, I've always been a fan of his work on Madagascar (pretty much the first new GNR tune I heard him take lead for was that back in 2001 when I downloaded the Rock in Rio comeback from napster). Have often thought about buying his solo stuff, especially since Leeds 2002, but I don't know if I'd give them a fair amount of rotation. Electric Tears is when I've had recommended to me
    I'm not that familiar with his back-catalogue, myself. I'll be looking a bit harder at him too.

I'm getting it on every video, possibly to do with being in 'work'. Will check it out tonight.

Jesus wept. Just heard From The Morning by Nick Drake being used on an advert for Vicks cough syrup!!

Apparently nothing is sacred, it turns out.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    I love Nick Drake, is such an awesome guitarist. I remember when this really gun guitarist came to school to play to us and everything and at the end we could ask him to play some stuff. Everybody asked for all the usual stuff, (Stairway to Heaven ect) and he played it all brilliantly. I asked him to play some Nick Drake and he said that it was too hard and he couldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I love Nick Drake, is such an awesome guitarist. I remember when this really gun guitarist came to school to play to us and everything and at the end we could ask him to play some stuff. Everybody asked for all the usual stuff, (Stairway to Heaven ect) and he played it all brilliantly. I asked him to play some Nick Drake and he said that it was too hard and he couldn't.
    If you like the finger-picking style Drake uses you might wanna check out some of Bert Jansch's stuff too. He was a big influence on Nick and in fact Nick covered Jansch's Strolling Down The Highway, which recently surfaced on the Family Tree compliation of his home recordings.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/39...lingout29.html

Man, I so wanted to dismiss this guy as some old fogey, harking back to when 'real' music was made. But geez, the more I read, the harder it was to ignore what he was saying.

That said, this sort of thing has an advantage; if you're not purely interested in making money, you can pretty much do whatever you want musically because, knowing you won't conform to the image anyway, the pressure is off. It means that the musician has to largely self-fund but, well, that's the business. On the upside, you can record a great sounding album for < $4000 these days (500 copies to sell) when it used to be $15 000 for an average one. You also have to take responsibility for your own costs of touring and marketing but there are grants available.

There's a fairly narrow band of look/image/genre that's commercially successful these days and if you don't conform perfectly, you have no chance. So, in a sense, making music has never been more free; you can sign to or start your own independent label, make an album on the cheap and do it all under the radar.

Does anyone know where piano sheet music is for Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons O Liberty, is?

Any help is appreciated.
    Well the Irish did it on St Patrick's day

Rip Fardin Qayyumi, Bob Woolmer and Craig.
    No offence Neil
    "No good thing ever dies." Andy Dufresne. The Shawshank Redemption.
    "Don't interupt the emeny when they're making a mistake" Napoleon

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Have been trying to improve my acoustic skills lately to go with my singing/drums. My mate has all this recording equipment, thought I'd record some MP3s. Let me know what you think.

Have three up, there should be more when he's done editing them. Open to ideas for what else to sing.

Chasing Cars
    Stop and Stare
    The Scientist
    Jesus brings life eternal

remembering Phil 'The Prince' Hughes - we will always love you

I was half-expecting a rick-roll tbh

Will check these out at home tonight

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden View Post
    Have been trying to improve my acoustic skills lately to go with my singing/drums. My mate has all this recording equipment, thought I'd record some MP3s. Let me know what you think.

Have three up, there should be more when he's done editing them. Open to ideas for what else to sing.

Chasing Cars
    Stop and Stare
    The Scientist
    That's not bad. Plenty to work with but room for improvement. You manage to avoid the annoying habit of half-copying the voice of the original artist and sounding like a deranged hybrid, which is good. I wouldn't have chosen to sing Stop and Stare if i were you though, it's not an easy one to get the chorus right.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    But, but I like Stop and Stare.

Really though, cheers.

Thread Information