cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 174 of 176 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176 LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 2632
Like Tree230Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    "Fairytale of New York" is the best Christmas song.

Change my mind.
    You want your christmases full of incoherent shouting and with a randomly intervening cop choir?

Hard to beat Silent Night, says this atheist
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of ESAS, JMAS, DMAS and RTDAS

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

International Vice-Captain andmark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    You want your christmases full of incoherent shouting and with a randomly intervening cop choir?

Hard to beat Silent Night, says this atheist
    It's the incoherent shouting and down and out story which gives it its gritty charm though. Silent Night is over-played for me because I went to a Catholic school so I can't really judge properly.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Really enjoying The Beths' debut album Future Me Hates Me. The most infectious power pop I've heard in ages. Will no doubt be thrashing the hell out of it this summer.

cpr
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Isn't that just Christmas in any northern household?
    Grasshopper and andmark like this.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

So Haken are like, really really good.

Well done England. You produced some high quality music.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

RIP Craig

i guess i count as a budding audiophile now, because i've finally invested in a decent pair of headphones (massdrop x sennheiser hd 58x) and a dac and holy **** does it make a difference
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

Would anyone deny Green Day the title of being the best band of the 2000s? The American Idiot album is certainly my favourite album for the decade.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    i guess i count as a budding audiophile now, because i've finally invested in a decent pair of headphones (massdrop x sennheiser hd 58x) and a dac and holy **** does it make a difference
    Yup. Cans are the pudding but the dac is the finishing sauce on the audio snob dessert.

Mechanical keyboards too. What coffee you drinking? If it's not siphon, then what are ya doing.

International Regular chasingthedon's Avatar
    I recall when I bought my first decent headphones (also Sennheiser, as it happens), I overheard a sales guy trying to sell a power amp who was telling the poor bastard about its rating in RMS, informing him that it was short for Real Music Sound.

:-/

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Another Australia Day Long weekend, another year where Mrs Burgey serves to remind me there are still somehow people over 40 for whom music is so important that they invest mental and emotional energy into a radio station count down.

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    Would anyone deny Green Day the title of being the best band of the 2000s? The American Idiot album is certainly my favourite album for the decade.
    American Idiot is the worst Green Day album by a significant margin imo.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Yup. Cans are the pudding but the dac is the finishing sauce on the audio snob dessert.

Mechanical keyboards too. What coffee you drinking? If it's not siphon, then what are ya doing.
    what does a valve amp constitute i wonder

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    American Idiot is the worst Green Day album by a significant margin imo.
    They hit a lot of good melodies on it, which is probably why it got so big. But god it was so painfully earnest, which really, really doesn't suit his voice. A few months after it came out I couldn't hear any of its hits without getting nauseous.

Maybe discovering it for yourself years later is better than being there when it took over all of the best music radio/TV stations.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 28-01-2019 at 06:23 AM.
    Ausage likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    They hit a lot of good melodies on it, which is probably why it got so big. But god it was so painfully earnest, which really, really doesn't suit his voice. A few months after it came out I couldn't hear any of its hits without getting nauseous.

Maybe discovering it for yourself years later is better than being there when it took over all of the best music radio/TV stations.
    Yeah, I only got it a couple of years ago, so maybe you have a point. Still though, songs like "Give Me Novacaine" and "Jesus of Suburbia" are great and the latter is one of the best pop punk songs ever IMO.

cpr
    Dunno, I felt it's impact at the time was hefty. Green Day in a way had always been the joke of punk music, having a laugh with silly, gross out lyrics. Yet Dookie came at a time when the punk scene was struggling in the public eye, and opened the door for basically the entire 90s/early 00s pop-punk era. It was a massive shot in the arm to the scene. In the same way American Idiot flipped that around, moved away from the catchy but shallow sound and gave a record that gave you something to think about. American Idiot the song brought punk as a protest back from the margins, and got a number of young people engaged in political thought. Sure the album was grandiose and extravagant, and a big departure from what you'd expect as a Green Day fan (it shocked me a bit, as I'd really enjoyed Warning), but get past expectations and there's some really well crafted songs there.
    A lot of the backlash I remember at the time was little scene kids wandering around in their freshly bought American Idiot hoodies like they'd always been huge fans, when those of us who'd been buying the albums for years got a bit resentful at the bandwagoning (bear in mind I was still only 21 at the time it was released, so I was pretty much a scene kid myself, just from a few years before and of a different kind of sound).

Weirdly, everyone elses reaction to American Idiot is mine to anything they've done since, I just see it all as overblown ****, guess I've just shifted one album down.
    Last edited by cpr; 28-01-2019 at 01:27 PM.

Thread Information