Page 16 of 124 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

The newest Gym Class Heroes Album - The Quilt is quality. Cookie Jar is a good song but the album is chock full of better ones IMO. Drnk Txt Romeo is my favourite though. Can so relate to it. Travy is a really talented guy.

cpr
    You know, one song i never got the hype about was Coma, mind you the chances of me getting that far into an album are low, as my attention span is.....
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Coma's awesome, the lyrics are mega, and the bit when all the women are ranting at Axl and then Slash just turns the guitar up....magic, how often do we all feel like doing that???

Like you, btw, I am also quite fond of Be Here Now. It's a bit like UYI in the way, overblown, critically panned, the band themselves aren't particularly fond of large chunks of it, the songs are long and self-indulgent, yet it's good rock and roll, loads of loud guitars and great tunes. Love it (Y) - that being said I prefer the last two oasis albums to the three that came before it, ie my order of preference is as follows:

Defo Maybe
    Heathen Chemistry
    Don't Believe the Truth
    Be Here Now
    Morning Glory
    Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

Probs prefer The Masterplan to Morning Glory & SOTSOG as well. The live album's not great though, of all of the oasis gigs that I've listened to those Wembley gigs are amongst the worst
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Like you, btw, I am also quite fond of Be Here Now. It's a bit like UYI in the way, overblown, critically panned, the band themselves aren't particularly fond of large chunks of it, the songs are long and self-indulgent, yet it's good rock and roll, loads of loud guitars and great tunes. Love it (Y) - that being said I prefer the last two oasis albums to the three that came before it, ie my order of preference is as follows:

Defo Maybe
    Heathen Chemistry
    Don't Believe the Truth
    Be Here Now
    Morning Glory
    Standing on the Shoulder of Giants

Probs prefer The Masterplan to Morning Glory & SOTSOG as well. The live album's not great though, of all of the oasis gigs that I've listened to those Wembley gigs are amongst the worst
    FWIW I'd go:

Definitely Maybe
    Morning Glory
    Don't Believe The Truth
    Heathen Chemistry
    Be Here Now
    Shoulder of Giants

Masterplan might even go as high as 2 tho, were it an album proper. I think the singles from Be Here Now are great (D'You Know What I Mean? & Stand By Me are two of their best), but there's a lot of water-treading on that album. Magic Pie might well be a career nadir too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Would go listen to 13 by Blur before touching any of the Oasis albums tbh.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Awta
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    FWIW I'd go:

Definitely Maybe
    Morning Glory
    Don't Believe The Truth
    Heathen Chemistry
    Be Here Now
    Shoulder of Giants

Masterplan might even go as high as 2 tho, were it an album proper. I think the singles from Be Here Now are great (D'You Know What I Mean? & Stand By Me are two of their best), but there's a lot of water-treading on that album. Magic Pie might well be a career nadir too.
    Always got the feeling that Oasis could have spent more time on Be Here Now and less time breaking CW forum rules and it could have been great, but basically they they (or Noel) felt it had to come out when it did because they were so, so popular right then. None of their albums since then have met universal approval the way the first two did but they still remain massive, says a lot about how much people loved those early albums and also the personalities of the Gallaghers. Loads of bands have been outselling Oasis for over ten years but they remain huge.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Sort of following on from the Oasis discussion that precedes this post, but mainly because I'm currently listening to Because Of The Times by Kings Of Leon, I thought I'd throw this thought out there. There seems to be an awful lot of groups who hit the ground running with inspired debut albums & then really struggle to live up to this early promise. Definitely Maybe is (MHO, obv) comfortably the best Oasis album (and it's probably because it caught me at just the right time that I still give them more time of day than a lot on CW seem to) & since then each of their subsequent releases has been compared to it & found wanting in said comparison. Even Don't Believe The Truth (a big return to form) was generally hailed as their best since... yadda, yadda.
    This annoys me. Fair enough if you feel that a band simply hasn't produced anything decent since [whenever], but to constantly be demanding another Definitely Maybe or whatever strikes me as pointless. We already have Definitely Maybe, I enjoy hearing Oasis doing something a bit different. They can still rock hard without singing about trying to get out of Manchester, because let's face it, they've done that haven't they?

I think you're on the money, on the most part. I'd say a lot of people prefer Morning Glory to Definitely Maybe - I don't, and I don't know many who love oasis like I do that prefer any other album to the first.
    I don't really think Morning Glory's much chop at all. IMO it's on a level with Standing on the Shoulder of Giants in that it's half kick-arse and half filler. As far as I'm concerned Definitely Maybe is the only Oasis record that's actually a great album - all the others have good stuff on them, but a lot of ordinary or just plain poor stuff too. Heathen Chemistry's the only album of theirs that I think is plain boring, but strangely I also think that The Hindu Times is one of their best tracks ever.

Like you, btw, I am also quite fond of Be Here Now. It's a bit like UYI in the way, overblown, critically panned, the band themselves aren't particularly fond of large chunks of it, the songs are long and self-indulgent, yet it's good rock and roll, loads of loud guitars and great tunes.
    I've often thought it should be remixed, a la Let It Be. Then we'd hear the great record that lies buried underneath piles of cocaine and 40 guitar tracks on every song. Oh, and swap Magic Pie with Stay Young.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    This annoys me. Fair enough if you feel that a band simply hasn't produced anything decent since [whenever], but to constantly be demanding another Definitely Maybe or whatever strikes me as pointless. We already have Definitely Maybe, I enjoy hearing Oasis doing something a bit different. They can still rock hard without singing about trying to get out of Manchester, because let's face it, they've done that haven't they?

I don't really think Morning Glory's much chop at all. IMO it's on a level with Standing on the Shoulder of Giants in that it's half kick-arse and half filler. As far as I'm concerned Definitely Maybe is the only Oasis record that's actually a great album - all the others have good stuff on them, but a lot of ordinary or just plain poor stuff too. Heathen Chemistry's the only album of theirs that I think is plain boring, but strangely I also think that The Hindu Times is one of their best tracks ever.

I've often thought it should be remixed, a la Let It Be. Then we'd hear the great record that lies buried underneath piles of cocaine and 40 guitar tracks on every song. Oh, and swap Magic Pie with Stay Young.
    Best call.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    To be fair I'm not exactly demanding another Definitely Maybe (although an album that was as good would be nice, no question) just noting a trend amongst bands of which Oasis are one of the most obvious examples. As I said a few posts back I thought Don't Believe... was a real return to form and I'll definitely purchase their new LP too. If someone new to the group asked me which was the best Oasis album to buy tho I wouldn't hesitate in recommending their debut.

I wasn't even saying that a band's debut being their best work is a bad thing, really. It often stands to reason that it should be; you have your whole life to write your first album & a few months to come up with the second.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    To be fair I'm not exactly demanding another Definitely Maybe
    Sorry if that sounded like a dig at you, dude. It totally wasn't.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Been listening to a lot of 2 Many DJs/Soulwax lately. So gun. Can mix anything into anything and make it sound good.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

tried Justice? they are gun imho
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Yeah, really like Justice too. D.A.N.C.E. never gets old too.

Loving Newton Faulkner, Charlie Parr and The Tallest Man On Earth at the moment.

Thread Information