Page 14 of 124 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    That's a terrible way of quantifying it though isn't it? Saying a whole genre is a joke because of what is played on Today FM with Kyle Sandilands and Andrew G, or whatever the **** radio is like these days.
    True. I wasn't referring to hip hip and everyone in it, just to be clear. Definitely referring to the mainstream stuff.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Just listened to the new Oasis album, it's pretty good actually, especially track 2. Anyone wanting a Definitely Maybe II will be disappointed - not that that's a bad thing.

It'll be interesting to see if it stands up to repeat listening.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    How'd you find those Pulp albums, Spambo?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I thought it was a rather good book, even leaving aside the fact is was written by a quote-unquote "celebrity"; I mean Cave's obviously a cut above your normal sleb turned author, but it's not his primary field of artistic expression anyway.
    What are you thoughts on Louise Wener's novel, then?

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    How'd you find those Pulp albums, Spambo?
    I haven't been able to give them as many spins as I would've liked, but they're pretty good thanks. Obviously His 'n' Hers has the stronger material.

The other one has some pretty strong tracks on it though. Razzmatazz and OU are particularly good, I think. It's missing My Lighthouse though from their debut album, which is a pretty decent song - but its not worth buying the album just for that.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    What are you thoughts on Louise Wener's novel, then?
    Disadvantaged by never having read it, although think she's up to three or so now.

Never really got on with Sleeper, at least partly because one of my mates had a quite irritating gf who was an absolute ringer for Louise.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    So I take it the new Oasis album has been leaked hugely, again?

Am ordering the special edition like Mr Wright. You get the album, a bonus disc of remixes with a few other songs, a 4-vinyl version, a making of DVD and a hardback book. Reckon it's worth the 50, mainly as I own a complete collection for oasis on CD and generally try and get their albums on vinyl anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

I'm an Oasis fan, but think The Shock of the Lightening is their weakest lead single from an album since, well, ever, really.

Actually, Roll With It wasn't that flash & Morning Glory was ok, so maybe it bodes well.

Roll With It wasn't the lead single, though, well not the only one anyway, as Some Might Say came first.

Was never a huge fan of Lyla but loved the last album, conversely thought Go Let It Out was awesome but SOTSOG is their worst album quite comfortably. TBH they can release what they like nowadays as I will still buy it, don't have a full collection for any other band but have imports, bootlegs, the works for oasis.

Some Might Say wasn't really the lead single for the album tho, tbf. It was included on the album, but was released about 6 months before & (I think) has the orginal drummer playing on it before he got replaced with Alan White.

Roll With It was the traditional "bung it out a coupla weeks before the LP" single.

Yeah, fair point. Never really thought of it like that as I only started listening to Oasis when Morning Glory came out (hey, I was only 11).

The Debut Album as Millstone

Sort of following on from the Oasis discussion that precedes this post, but mainly because I'm currently listening to Because Of The Times by Kings Of Leon, I thought I'd throw this thought out there. There seems to be an awful lot of groups who hit the ground running with inspired debut albums & then really struggle to live up to this early promise. Definitely Maybe is (MHO, obv) comfortably the best Oasis album (and it's probably because it caught me at just the right time that I still give them more time of day than a lot on CW seem to) & since then each of their subsequent releases has been compared to it & found wanting in said comparison. Even Don't Believe The Truth (a big return to form) was generally hailed as their best since... yadda, yadda.

Making one's best album early on isn't necessarily a new phenomenon, I'd say none of Nick Drake, Van Morrison (taking Astral Weeks as his debut proper) & The Velvet Underground surpassed their maiden releases, but their subsequent output wasn't entirely overshadowed by them, as is the case with Kings Of Leon. Youth And Young Manhood was one of those albums that makes one sit up & take notice, but BOTT & Aha Shake Heartbreak, whilst ok, pale by comparison.

Two great bands of my youth arguably had their demise hastened by great debuts; The Stone Roses dissolved into litigation & cocaine after their eponymous opener and their belated follow-up was a crushing disappointment; whilst The La's never even made a sequel to their self-titled first effort. Although, admittedly, Lee Mavers's smack habit probably didn't help either. On a smaller scale many other bands of recent vintage have made decent debuts (The Coral, The Futureheads, The Thrills & The Fratellis off the top of my head) but have never quite lived up to this early promise.

Ok, I've got to the fourth paragraph & am now panicking because I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I suppose, to attempt to turn it into a point of discussion rather than a somewhat long-winded lecture by a slightly embittered ageing music snob who begins every conversation with "Well, obviously I preferred their earlier work...", I'll ask for examples of other groups who've fallen foul of the sophomore slump & those who've avoided this curse, especially those who've made bang-up debuts and then bettered them.

Or am I just utterly wrong & is Be Here Now actually Oasis' magnum opus?

Belle and Sebastian are a pretty good example of that with Tigermilk as their finest effort. Subsequent albums have never been able to match it.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I think Doves have done well. I thought their debut was a cracker, and then they easily trumped it with The Last Broadcast and Some Cities, whilst not as good, is still a cracking listen.

Love their use of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London as the tune to one of their B sides on There Goes the Fear (I think)

Thread Information