Thread: Music discussion thread

wellAlbidarned likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    yessssss. calculating infinity is one of my favourite albums ever

saw them a couple of years ago. absolute nutcases
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

I realise this won't be a popular opinion, but with death metal (and a fair bit of other metal) I find myself enjoying the harmonics of the guitars but I quickly tire of how the rhythm section always seems to be trying to fill every tiny little gap, space is good. Can't say I really dig the screaming either.
    Samuel_Vimes likes this.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

First Class Debutant Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Great Beach Boys fan, absolute gem of a band from Today-Sunflower (and maybe Surf's Up) era. Would have really like Brian to continue writing psych-baroque masterpieces.

Amazing how much better your strike rate is on the circuit when you go to a place that plays music you enjoy yourself.
    duffer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    I realise this won't be a popular opinion, but with death metal (and a fair bit of other metal) I find myself enjoying the harmonics of the guitars but I quickly tire of how the rhythm section always seems to be trying to fill every tiny little gap, space is good. Can't say I really dig the screaming either.
    Dillinger isn't death metal. They're there own thing, and yes, that thing is incredibly busy.

This is a band I think you might like (not really death metal either, more prog thrash):

Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post
    yessssss. calculating infinity is one of my favourite albums ever

saw them a couple of years ago. absolute nutcases
    Saw them and Messhuggah in the same month. Was insane.

Those 2, and strangely enough Herbie Hancock are the best live shows I've ever seen.

Dillinger isn't death metal. They're there own thing, and yes, that thing is incredibly busy.

This is a band I think you might like (not really death metal either, more prog thrash):
    Yeah I'm hopeless with all the metal subgenres, no idea what I'm talking about, but I figured it was death metal because you were saying something about liking it before.

That was pretty good, I have to play with a lot of ****ty guitarists who only know how to 'shred' mindlessly and play power chords at music school, so I kinda resented metal for a while there and figured it was a pretty boring and unsophisticated genre, so I've only recently pulled my head out of that cloud haha. I'm into the more progressive and psychedelic aspects of rock/alternative, and I figure the best way into metal for me is to go that way too, currently trying to get into Tool and Dream Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Yeah I'm hopeless with all the metal subgenres, no idea what I'm talking about, but I figured it was death metal because you were saying something about liking it before.

That was pretty good, I have to play with a lot of ****ty guitarists who only know how to 'shred' mindlessly and play power chords at music school, so I kinda resented metal for a while there and figured it was a pretty boring and unsophisticated genre, so I've only recently pulled my head out of that cloud haha. I'm into the more progressive and psychedelic aspects of rock/alternative, and I figure the best way into metal for me is to go that way too, currently trying to get into Tool and Dream Theater.
    yeah they're not even metal, they're mathcore which is a subgenre of hardcore. but yeah it all gets confusing

give pain of salvation a go, they're proggy but their latest two albums have been almost...retro prog? for the lack of a better description

hendrix and Maximas like this.

Saw them and Messhuggah in the same month. Was insane.

Those 2, and strangely enough Herbie Hancock are the best live shows I've ever seen.
    think meshuggah were playing at the same festival i saw dillinger at, or it might've been the year before. regardless, i agree about meshuggah. i've never really listened much to them apart from Nothing, obZen and Koloss but **** they go off.
    hendrix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ajdude View Post
    yeah they're not even metal, they're mathcore which is a subgenre of hardcore. but yeah it all gets confusing

give pain of salvation a go, they're proggy but their latest two albums have been almost...retro prog? for the lack of a better description

Holy **** I'd never heard of these guys. Nice. Gives me a Judas Priest Sad Wings of Destiny vibe. Mixed in with a bit of Cream. It's so hard to do retro without sounding cheesey.

Speaking of metal:

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    The GOTG Vol I is a great album! Going through it now.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricket Spectator
    Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan was THE leader of subcontinental music and had possibly the most tranquil and melodious voice amongst world musicians. Period.

Holy ****, Cynic released a new album? Man I love these guys. Gonna listen this weekend

Hmm, lost all my tunes after hard drive died. I've got to get better at this whole "backing up" thing.

so ****ing heavy

Thread Information