Cricket Player Manager
Page 118 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 1891
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    GNR is obviously the AFD line up

Probz how I'd have gone too, tbf. Sorum was in the band for a long time tho and obviously went on to VR with Duff and Slash tho...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Moreover, does it even matter? Can a band survive multiple line up changes and keep the original spirit and ethos intact? The Fall famously have a revolving door kinda line up and yet they still sound unmistakably Fallish with every new release.

A few to ponder: Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Faith No More, Metallica, Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones & ACDC...
    It doesn't particularly matter if there's multiple lineup changes provided there's some sort of constant. And to me, the "classic" lineup of a band is when they scaled the heights. Every band will have a point in their career where they don't scale those heights again.

As Corrin's already said, Guns N Roses' classic lineup is obviously the one that recorded Appetite For Destruction. Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic lineup is Kiedis, Frusciante, Flea, Smith.

Interestingly, despite his being part of the band for almost 15 years, I wouldn't have Chris Schifflett anywhere near the Foos' classic lineup. I'd go Grohl, Smear, Mendel, Hawkins.
    ​63*

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    . Red Hot Chili Peppers' classic lineup is Kiedis, Frusciante, Flea, Smith.
    There's an argument tho that they recorded their best album (Freaky Styley, obvz) with only two of those in situ.

It's probably a more interesting Q for bands whose creative hub was completely altered with changes. Say Pink Floyd or Fleetwood Mac.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Probz how I'd have gone too, tbf. Sorum was in the band for a long time tho and obviously went on to VR with Duff and Slash tho...
    Sorum possibly a better drummer but he didn't play with Izzy long. Izzy leaving was the big blow, the reason why there was nothing new after the Illusions until the 'nu' lineup and Chinese Democracy

Rolling Stones an interesting one, got to be the Mick Taylor years for standard of albums when he was around though.

Fairport Convention have had so many changes there is a timeline on their Wiki entry, think the 'classic' lineup only existed for a couple of months.
    chasingthedon likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    The Definitive List Of 2013?s Best Albums

Usually I'm pretty ambivalent about this sort of article but I thought this was a bit witty. So I thought we could play a game and see if we can guess which bands the article writer is referring to this year. Probably a pretty obvious pick for 3. is Arcade Fire but there's no way 7. ain't Lorde.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    10 has got to be Obliteration

9 sounds like the National

I have a feeling 8 might be Typhoon, doesn't quite fit though.

Run the Jewels fits 6 perfectly.

5 sounds like Queens of the Stone Age

Just were does Sigur Ros fit in? Pretty sure it will be a staple for most lists.
    Last edited by ohnoitsyou; 28-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The Definitive List Of 2013?s Best Albums

Usually I'm pretty ambivalent about this sort of article but I thought this was a bit witty. So I thought we could play a game and see if we can guess which bands the article writer is referring to this year. Probably a pretty obvious pick for 3. is Arcade Fire but there's no way 7. ain't Lorde.
    This is great, love the Pitchfork review generator as well. 1. has to be Vampire Weekend, and look who came out on top of Pitchfork's top 50...

Edit: Holy **** their top 10 could probably all just about fit in there, that's good work.
    Last edited by MW1304; 23-12-2013 at 06:01 AM.

Had enough of Hybrid Theory? How about some Psybrid Theory? Some genius has taken out the vox from this album and replaced them all with Gangnam Style for every track.

Psybrid Theory - YouTube
    _Ed_ and Flem274* like this.

cpr
    I remember the days when the unemployed/students had nothing better to do that look for work/study. Damn you internet.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

No words.

Not sure who I'm looking at for this but after some recommendations for a house party play list. Genre isn't too big an issue but I'd say take Flume and Burial sort of stuff as your starting point but throw in some rap/hip hop/rnb for good measure.

Oh ffs , I know I'm rightly going to be humiliated by proper people who understand music and aren't in a ******** fantasy of 1977,TC and Brumbers will humiliate me if they even deign to note me, but I love this

I mean I actually really like the Pretty Reckless, and it's not a shock, I always like female-fronted rock bands, even loved Tranvision Vamp, Lush, Sleeper, Echobelly, PJ Harvey, Belly and Republica, but Blondie and Altered Images started my love The Banshees often made me squee too.

Yet am I just falling into a terrible mid-life crises with TPR, I think I like them, but Momsen is a serious ****ing young vamp that could turn anyone of my advanced age.
    Last edited by grecian; 07-03-2014 at 07:18 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Thread Information