Page 117 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,755 of 1866
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    https://soundcloud.com/subpop/mogwai-remurdered

Very different to their previous albums, but I'm loving this right now.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Interesting (or not) aside, was chatting to the band members about rock and why you don't see people really dancing at rock gigs any more. Sax player's opinion is that rock music is generally written these days by people who have no idea how to dance nor write stuff which rocks but still danceable. Reminds me of an interview with Sir Keith I read a while back where (we're talking late 90's at this point) he said rock music was rocking harder than ever at that point but he lamented the loss of 'roll'. That 'roll', I assume, was danceable parts to the music.

Frankly, he has a point. So much of The Strolling Bones music was definitely rock but very easy to dance to. So many genuinely aggressive rock bands in the past also got hips moving as well as heads. Even so much of modern funk lacks genuine groove; the much lauded Daft Punk album has, really, only a couple of danceable tracks, the ones heavily co-written by the bloke who made Bowie danceable.

I say this because we played a gig a month ago for our album launch, packed the place out and it was sweaty and heaving. Our music is most definitely funk inspired but I rip out all the usual rock guitar tricks and there's plenty of hardness in our music but people were going bananas for it. We're doing all orig but, given the right groove, people were singing along to our **** like they knew it. People are crying out for stuff which makes them lose, not use, their minds at the moment.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-11-2013 at 04:32 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Which modern rock bands do you think lack a bit of roll? You're being a bit tactically vague there .

"Rock" is such a broad genre that I'm never sure what people are referring to by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Nah, I'm not afraid to name names. Of big bands only?

The Black Keys
    Anything Jack White-related
    Foo Fighters
    Florence and The Machine/Paramore (seriously, when even chicks at a chick-fronted gig are basically swaying to the music.....)
    The National
    KoL
    Green Day
    Every Australian band on JJJ right now
    MMJ (kill me)
    The Killers (kill them)

Fair that it's not really a genre any more, but.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 04-11-2013 at 05:30 AM.

Just want it noted; groove != funk. Funk just did it well. Hips and heads, get on it modern rock.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    rock and roll is dead long live texture and pedals Don caballero - Fire back about your new baby s sex - YouTube
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Every Australian band on JJJ right now
    Bollocks, hips were flying all over the place at the Cat Empire gig I caught last year.

All other bands listed are fair shouts.

Cat Empire, rock?! They don't have and have never had a guitar in their band! Is a bedrock requirement for a rock band, you son of a bitch.

The CE do a great live show, for sure. Chick I gig with in other bands just supported them in her vastly inferior band, said they were just the most incredibly nice people too. I hate that.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Not that bad, surely? Fiona Apple is a bit unnecessary, but Pavement, The Lips, The Mats, The Clash, Guided By Voices, PJ Harvey, etc...
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Stone Roses should be on there shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Not that bad, surely? Fiona Apple is a bit unnecessary, but Pavement, The Lips, The Mats, The Clash, Guided By Voices, PJ Harvey, etc...
    a) Fiona Apple - "Hot Knife" Official Music Video) - YouTube
    b) it's not a surprise pavement, gbv et al didn't have number 1 hits. it's like saying WOAH GLENN MCGRATH NEVER HIT A CENTURY. CRAZY EH. it's stupid
    c) it's crazy good link bait though

TBF I'm mildly surprised The Clash didn't. Had a #1 single up here too. Admittedly off the back of a Levi's advert, but still.

Really surprised The Roses didn't either. On checking The Second Coming only reached #4, which, given how long we had to wait for it, is staggering, really.

I also vaguely recall reading somewhere The Who have never had a #1, but that might just be singles.

Bands' "classic" line ups

Mentioning The Roses brought this to mind. What do you consider a band's classic line up to be?

With The Stone Roses it's really a bit of a no-brainer: Brown, Squire, Mani & Reni, yeah? However with some popular beat combos it's less clear cut; take Oasis. Do you consider the Original Gallagher (L), Gallagher (N), Arthurs, McGuigan & McCarroll the bestest, did Alan White replacing the latter square the circle for you or did Gem and Andy Bell add something extra?

But what constitutes a "classic" line up? Is it just who happens to be in situ when a band makes it or is there more to it?

Moreover, does it even matter? Can a band survive multiple line up changes and keep the original spirit and ethos intact? The Fall famously have a revolving door kinda line up and yet they still sound unmistakably Fallish with every new release.

A few to ponder: Pink Floyd, Guns N Roses, Faith No More, Metallica, Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones & ACDC...

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Oasis made their best album with McCaroll on drums, but the vintage on top of the world line up had Whitey on who is a far superior drummer. That's the classic line up for mine.

However, their best live line up came when Gem and Andy were in the band with Whitey, so 02-04

Thread Information