Page 108 of 124 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,606 to 1,620 of 1847
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    honestly i think you should just listen to everything in the Feelies universe
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

I'm getting into elbow right now - a good little OK computer inspired british band, much better than Muse, Coldpay, Snow Patrol and all that other trife that came out of Britain in the early 2000s.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Elbow are gun.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Unrelated but I thought this was interesting. If anyone wants a decent example of the power of a good producer (or in the case of what I'm about to post, a bad one), then have a listen/watch to this song first:

Guy in Fatheadz barbershop singing his pain - YouTube

Pure music. Rough around the edges but the soul in the song and performance is incredible. Now have a listen to what happened when he went into a studio after this:

TEARS OF BLOOD - K HYFEN - YouTube

Just about all of the soul is sucked out of it. Pretty much sounds like it was slapped over the top of an existing (and mediocre, in my opinion) late 90's beat + chords. Now it sounds like a bad rap cliche, the a capella especially ugh. Very average performance by the singer too.

People underestimate massively the role of a good producer. Even the best muso's need help with an outside perspective who can not just suggest things but outright contradict the artist if they need to, someone who can get the best possible performance out of the performers. It's a huge red flag for a crap album when I see an album is self-produced, especially if the band has had producers involved in previous records. You'll often hear the band claim they're free now, can finally do the music with the vision they've always intended but the end result is usually self-indulgent and crap.
    Been reading a Dave Grohl bio and it talks about how hard Butch Vig had to push Kurt to let him layer vocals and overdub stuff on the Nevermind album. Kurt basically wanted it to sound raw with one track for everything, but Vig convinced him by saying Lennon/McCartney always used this technique and that it was ok blah blah...

Without Vig, or a producer as good as him, Nevermind would have been pretty dirgey probably. Nevermind soars sonically.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I have to say, in retrospect I think Nevermind does sound very slightly overproduced now. Just that little bit too clean sounding when compared to In Utero.

That third album's producer (although I think he's credited as having "recorded" it) is an example of what T_C was taking about IMHO. Much as he's a sick **** who you wouldn't want anywhere near your daughter (recorded an album with Big Black called Songs About ****ing and called his second band Rapeman, after what sounds an exceptionally dodgy Japanese comic strip), Steve Albini is arguably the best producer of a distorted electric guitar. Somehow manages to retain the rawness whilst, paradoxically, also having depth and melody. Surfer Rosa more or less defined the quote-unquote grunge sound.
    Last edited by BoyBrumby; 15-04-2013 at 09:52 PM.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Was a big fan of Albini's drum sounds too.

The production on Nevermind was a product of its time, I reckon. Tight, single-mic metal drum and guitar sounds were the name of the game, Nevermind also came about right at the beginning of the wider adoption of Pro Tools and Vig was a big fan of that sound even though I believe he didn't use any with Nevermind. What really tipped it over into the 'metal' sound was Andy Wallace's involvement; he was most definitely in the metal camp. Would argue he was more pivotal in the overall sound of Nevermind than Vig.

It's just the way the wind was blowing. All the bands of the 90's were after that massively tight metal sound and Pro Tools made it really easy. The involvement of multiple producers and engineers in tailoring the Nirvana sound should, by itself, put paid to the idea that Nirvana's rise was an unplanned, freakish thing. They were just as heavily-produced and controlled as the most sterile hair bands of the 80's. These guys were just smarter about it but the intention was always to record a popular record, whether Kurt liked it or not (and I'm fairly certain he did).

Still reckon the album as a whole sucks, tbh.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 15-04-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    The impression I get from Grohl's book is that Kurt was a far more astute business man than any of me or my grunge head mates (who were all around 15 at the time) realised.

Folk tradition suggests that they were the band that rose from the underground and were embraced by the masses who'd had enough of hair/glam metal and wanted something more earthy. Kurt certainly came from that background, but he knew EXACTLY how to play the market and knew exactly what it would take for success. Which is why I now don't buy in to the whole "fame overwhelmed him" thing. He planned and plotted everything, and wanted it. I guess maybe he couldn't deal with what happened in spite of that, but who knows.

Kurt was a bit of a perfect storm type scenario though. Serious love of Lennon/McCartney and Abba, combined with a love of raw punk rock and the ability to write seriously catchy songs, and a market that was ready for something different. Dave Grohl really was the secret ingredient!

And after all these years, I still think Lounge Act and Lithium have the greatest hooks of any songs I've heard. Seriously talented songwriter.
    Last edited by Monk; 16-04-2013 at 12:21 AM.

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar
    Prefer Dinosaur Jr myself.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    just about had me reaching for my earplugs watching that. Awesome.
    Exit pursuing a beer

That's incredible.

Haha, looks like Panic Station is getting the sort of music video it deserves.

Can't wait to see this.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    That's incredible.

Haha, looks like Panic Station is getting the sort of music video it deserves.

Can't wait to see this.
    oh muse...

That... that can't be real.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Is it dav who is a fan of British Sea Power?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    That... that can't be real.
    You'd better believe it.

Boom!

Thread Information