Page 107 of 123 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,605 of 1844
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    New QOTSA - finally.

Really like this other than the attempted 'falsetto' style of singing from Josh. Would like to hear him sounding more natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-90obSa1Az4
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    So hyped for the new Beady Eye album. Promises so very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Looking for some new music to check out. Kinda getting sick of hearing the same mainstream indie Triple J stuff that most of my friends listen to, so the less well known the better.

Been listening to a lot of the Mountain Goats (thanks to Spikey), The xx and the Gaslight Anthem recently, for reference. Open to pretty much anything though.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rvd619323 View Post
    Looking for some new music to check out. Kinda getting sick of hearing the same mainstream indie Triple J stuff that most of my friends listen to, so the less well known the better.

Been listening to a lot of the Mountain Goats (thanks to Spikey), The xx and the Gaslight Anthem recently, for reference. Open to pretty much anything though.
    Heh mainstream indie
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar

i dont remember ever talking about the mountain goats on here

kurt vile has a new album out. that will probably be good. i'm really loving the william tyler album (impossible truth) but if after 2 minutes of this (William Tyler - Cadillac Desert - YouTube) you start to want words it's probably not for you. (but lambchop and/or silver jews might be!). yo la tengo's new album is good. yo la tengo albums are always good.

that's all i've got. i suppose i should find out what the kids are talking about for this year.

or keep listening to gene clark's 'No Other'. that has hit me like a train recently.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

William Tyler - We Can't Go Home Again - Shaker Steps - YouTube

there are some pretty weird related videos to that

things i've recently learnt: the Stereophonics still exist and record music

Coheed and Cambria - Domino the Destitute - YouTube

yeahhhh seeing these ****s in 10 days
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    s
    ^real tearjerker from this cock

I really love this NZ band at the moment:
    Junica - The Wrong House - YouTube

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Seeing BSP again tomorrow, got their new album last week but haven't got round to listening to it properly yet, will have to try tonight.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Vice-Captain MW1304's Avatar

Having been in the same sort of position there's a few bands I would recommend if you want to start expanding a bit.

Brand New - if you want to go with the sort of 'emo' branded stuff. I think the connotations of that tag are a bit stupid personally, sure they're sometimes over-emotional and angsty, but really they make great, sometimes gut-wrenching, songs. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me is just incredible; lives up to the title. Brand New - You Won't Know

TV On The Radio - a bit arty and a bit out there sometimes, but this is the experimental side of indie that is so much more interesting to listen to than the mainstream radio stuff. Their songs and albums tend to be growers, but give them a go and you'll love them. One of the most important bands in music atm, in my opinion of course. TV On The Radio - Second Song (Also try The Flaming Lips for experimental goodness - Fight Test)

Cloud Nothings - not the early stuff, that's standard indie filler, but the latest album is fantastic. Goes for a harsher, heavier sound that's more in common with post-hardcore. If you want to get into the heavier stuff, this is a good place to start in terms of contemporary bands. No Future/No Past and Wasted Days are a thrill-ride. This song is their best (less heavy though). Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless (If you want to go into post-hardcore more, At The Drive-In are the kings - One Armed Scissor)

Hope this helps.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    or keep listening to gene clark's 'No Other'. that has hit me like a train recently.
    I picked up the remastred version of that for a couple of quid the day after you first mentioned it on here, actually. Saw it, thought "Wonder if that's the one El Spiko mentioned?" & lo and behold; it was.

Quality, tbf.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Unrelated but I thought this was interesting. If anyone wants a decent example of the power of a good producer (or in the case of what I'm about to post, a bad one), then have a listen/watch to this song first:

Guy in Fatheadz barbershop singing his pain - YouTube

Pure music. Rough around the edges but the soul in the song and performance is incredible. Now have a listen to what happened when he went into a studio after this:

TEARS OF BLOOD - K HYFEN - YouTube

Just about all of the soul is sucked out of it. Pretty much sounds like it was slapped over the top of an existing (and mediocre, in my opinion) late 90's beat + chords. Now it sounds like a bad rap cliche, the a capella especially ugh. Very average performance by the singer too.

People underestimate massively the role of a good producer. Even the best muso's need help with an outside perspective who can not just suggest things but outright contradict the artist if they need to, someone who can get the best possible performance out of the performers. It's a huge red flag for a crap album when I see an album is self-produced, especially if the band has had producers involved in previous records. You'll often hear the band claim they're free now, can finally do the music with the vision they've always intended but the end result is usually self-indulgent and crap.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 11-04-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by MW1304 View Post
    Having been in the same sort of position there's a few bands I would recommend if you want to start expanding a bit.

Brand New - if you want to go with the sort of 'emo' branded stuff. I think the connotations of that tag are a bit stupid personally, sure they're sometimes over-emotional and angsty, but really they make great, sometimes gut-wrenching, songs. The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Me is just incredible; lives up to the title. Brand New - You Won't Know

TV On The Radio - a bit arty and a bit out there sometimes, but this is the experimental side of indie that is so much more interesting to listen to than the mainstream radio stuff. Their songs and albums tend to be growers, but give them a go and you'll love them. One of the most important bands in music atm, in my opinion of course. TV On The Radio - Second Song (Also try The Flaming Lips for experimental goodness - Fight Test)

Cloud Nothings - not the early stuff, that's standard indie filler, but the latest album is fantastic. Goes for a harsher, heavier sound that's more in common with post-hardcore. If you want to get into the heavier stuff, this is a good place to start in terms of contemporary bands. No Future/No Past and Wasted Days are a thrill-ride. This song is their best (less heavy though). Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless (If you want to go into post-hardcore more, At The Drive-In are the kings - One Armed Scissor)

Hope this helps.
    Taking a look at Brand New now - just started the song so can't really comment.

The Flaming Lips are gun. Definitely grabbing a stack of their stuff ASAP. That Cloud Nothings song didn't impress me, but one of the others from that album made me think it was worth getting - reckon it'll grow on me.

At The Drive-In definitely didn't grab me, and TV On The Radio sound weirdly good, I'll definitely be checking them out some more. Cheers for the suggestions.

Thread Information