Page 105 of 121 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1804
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Propaghandi are still active? Wow. I was into them once upon a time.
    yeah still going strong, Failed States was probably the best non metal/indie album of last year

For somebody who was much into prog any suggestions? Please no prog-metal a la Dream Thater, let's say that (relatively) recentIy I really enjoyed the first album of Arcade Fire (even tho I found this funny).

In return I'd happily give tips on great italian prog groups from the '70s, something which I'm sure all of you need to complete your musical perspective
    Last edited by Гурин; 13-02-2013 at 02:30 AM.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Гурин View Post
    For somebody who was much into prog any suggestions? Please no prog-metal a la Dream Thater, let's say that (relatively) recentIy I really enjoyed the first album of Arcade Fire (even tho I found this funny).

In return I'd happily give tips on great italian prog groups from the '70s, something which I'm sure all of you need to complete your musical perspective
    Elbow, especially their early stuff, had definite prog influences. They were even briefly labelled as being part of a nu-prog movement.

Muse & The Mars Volta both have those kinda tendencies too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Elbow, especially their early stuff, had definite prog influences. They were even briefly labelled as being part of a nu-prog movement.

Muse & The Mars Volta both have those kinda tendencies too.
    Cheers, I have the first two albums by Muse and also Francis the Mute, but I'll check out Elbow.

As I promised, some (even if somewhat recent) italian prog group (2000)

Giardini di Mirņ - Rise And Fall Of Academic Drifting [Full Album] - YouTube

and an older one (Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, 1972)

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin (Full Album) - YouTube
    Last edited by Гурин; 13-02-2013 at 03:37 AM.

If you want "proggy" Muse (not that I think they're especially proggy at all), third album is worth getting, but be more careful about four-six, as they're much more poppy than proggy most of the time (I mean, there are exceptions)
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

The first Mars Volta album definitely worth a spin.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    I've never been able to fathom why TMV are considered prog, tbh. Can only think it's because they play long songs because they're key centres rarely move beyond blues and most songs are 4/4 albeit done with syncopation sometimes. There's some shredding, sure, but shredding over blues/pent scales was done to death in the 80's and none of those guys were considered prog (the label was death, in fact). Really, Juan's 80's shred/hair band, Racer X, fit the 'progressive' label more than TMV I reckon and they were never considered prog.

Such a snobby ****ing genre label anyway.

EDIT: On TMV, they have a couple of the most cluelessly genius muso's ever, though. Thomas Pridgeon (no longer in the band but is on the older albums) I met at a drum clinic a while back and he seems to have no idea how or why he got so damn monstrous. Amazing player but if you ask him, just doing his thing and he still doesn't know why people rate him so highly. Ridiculously modest character. Compare and contrast this to the other guy playing at the clinic, Virgil Donati......

(love ya Virg)
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 13-02-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    If you want "proggy" Muse (not that I think they're especially proggy at all), third album is worth getting, but be more careful about four-six, as they're much more poppy than proggy most of the time (I mean, there are exceptions)
    Third was their peak IMO, maybe second
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer mightymariner's Avatar
    Agree, third is closely followed by the second, then a sizable gap to the others. Though there are some fantastic songs on the later albums, there aren't enough together to make brilliant albums as a whole.

Found a decent album yesterday by a new band, The Virginmarys. Nice little threepiece, just can't put my finger on what they remind me of. Here's one of the songs from the album anyway: The Virginmarys - Dead Man's Shoes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I've never been able to fathom why TMV are considered prog, tbh. Can only think it's because they play long songs because they're key centres rarely move beyond blues and most songs are 4/4 albeit done with syncopation sometimes. There's some shredding, sure, but shredding over blues/pent scales was done to death in the 80's and none of those guys were considered prog (the label was death, in fact). In fact, Juan's 80's shred/hair band, Racer X, fit the 'progressive' label more than TMV I reckon and they were never considered prog.

Such a snobby ****ing genre label anyway.

EDIT: On TMV, they have a couple of the most cluelessly genius muso's ever, though. Thomas Pridgeon (no longer in the band but is on the older albums) I met at a drum clinic a while back and he seems to have no idea how or why he got so damn monstrous. Amazing player but if you ask him, just doing his thing and he still doesn't know why people rate him so highly. Ridiculously modest character. Compare and contrast this to the other guy playing at the clinic, Virgil Donati......

(love ya Virg)
    Mars Volta are sometime proggish, but I won't define them as a prog (new-prog or whatever xxx-prog) group. I actually don't really know how to define them, you can hear now and then the typical hard sound of late nineties and early noughties (mesa boogie, soldano and so on, nu-metal and prog-metal use a lot of it) but musically they tend to be a bit more complex, a few pasages going beyond simple blues-pentatonic scales, you hear them often exploring counterpoints. Yet, a prog influence is however undeniable. I can listen to 'Francis the Mute', but they're not exactly one of my favorite groups.

I agree that prog was already drained to death by '77 (and post rock, his heir, by the time explosions in the sky came around) but still, our own kind of it is the only autochtonous school we ever had in rock music, so to hell with 'snobbing ****ing genre label', I still love it. And technically prog musicians are about the best you can find around, here all the mainstream musicians use old prog musicians whenever they go on tour. As the saying goes, 'in the '70s keyboard players moved their fingers and held their ass still, in the '80s they moved their ass and held their fingers still'

PS If any of you speaks spanish, Mars Volta automatically lose half of their points. Both voice and lyrics are awful. 'Tira me a las aranas', roughly 'Throw me to the spiders'. You've no idea how much does it sound ridicolous in spanish. Whatever.
    Last edited by Гурин; 13-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    It's the pitch, stupid.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Smack is a hell of a drug.

Oh yes, yes it is

Mm, I'd say that amongst more rock-oriented fans, 2 or 3 is the general consensus.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymariner View Post
    Agree, third is closely followed by the second, then a sizable gap to the others. Though there are some fantastic songs on the later albums, there aren't enough together to make brilliant albums as a whole.

Found a decent album yesterday by a new band, The Virginmarys. Nice little threepiece, just can't put my finger on what they remind me of. Here's one of the songs from the album anyway: The Virginmarys - Dead Man's Shoes - YouTube
    Found this the other day; sounds like the Fratellis without the cheeky.

****ing hate the Fratellis.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Sound closer to a more cleanly poduced Jet to my ears; heavier than The Fratellis, IMHO.

Quite rated their first album until ubiquity ruined it, ftr.

Thread Information