Cricket Player Manager
Page 101 of 125 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 1875
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Totally agree with those re the subjectivity of music. I listen to a ****load of music, from Sufjan Stevens to Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares to Drake. I like different things about each kind of music/artist.

Oh, and Nickelback > Radiohead.
    ★★★★★

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Totally agree with those re the subjectivity of music. I listen to a ****load of music, from Sufjan Stevens to Le Mystère des Voix Bulgares to Drake. I like different things about each kind of music/artist.

Oh, and Nickelback > Radiohead.
    Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    The voice is an instrument too; I wouldn't be happy if (say) Eric Clapton mimed his guitar solos at gigs, so why should the singer get a free pass?

One of the many reasons why I wub New Order is that back in the day on Top of the Pops where more or less everyone mimed, Barney Sumner, a man not possessed of the strongest singing voice, always sung live.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    ****ing spot on. Anyone that adds musical histrionics into anthems or age old standards can burn in the flaming fires of hell as far as I'm concerned.

It's one of the reasons I think that so called "talent shows" are anathema to my eardrums.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

"Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if you’re going to be rubbish, make sure it’s against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The voice is an instrument too; I wouldn't be happy if (say) Eric Clapton mimed his guitar solos at gigs, so why should the singer get a free pass?
    More things can go wrong with one's voice and people are less forgiving if someone's pitch is **** or they crack because it's cold. Guitar, short of all fingers being broken, can get away with murder, really.

That said, the difficulty of doing it shouldn't totally excuse her. If it was her own concert, HTFU and blow your goddamn voice out if you have to but since it was more important not to have something take attention away from the ceremony, I can give her a pass (just).

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    One of the many reasons why I wub New Order is that back in the day on Top of the Pops where more or less everyone mimed, Barney Sumner, a man not possessed of the strongest singing voice, always sung live.
    On technical ability required, hardly think singing NO's rep compares to singing the US national anthem!
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-01-2013 at 04:42 AM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    That's undoubtedly true, but even his best friend wouldn't say Bernard has a technically great voice and (I'm willing bet, being an exemplar of the same) the average New Order doesn't go to watch them for his perfect pitch, yet he was still putting his chops out there even in an environment where there's no real need to.

With Beyonce her voice is more integral to the whole point as, without it, she's just a fit bird with a nice arse and a facility for dancing in heels.

Disagree a lot.

I get that but it's still just a harder thing to do, to sing that style than New Order's, we don't bag quicks for taking shorter spells in Bangalore than Lords (although we do praise them if they push through, of course). I prefer it if someone takes a risk and goes live and part of me does think she wussed out, personally. But I can also see it was more important for the purposes of the ceremony that things go flawlessly than be authentic. I mean, srsly, the whole inauguration ceremony is a massive exercise in ra ra bull****, it's no surprise the performances would follow suit.

As it was, info I have now suggests she did sing it live along with the backing track but only the backing track was broadcast. Still a puss out but.....less so.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 24-01-2013 at 04:58 AM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer mightymariner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Haha, was just thinking about that whilst reading this whole thing.

U19 Debutant
    Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but tonight I had the chance to see Patti Smith live in Tokyo. Utterly mindblowing. I was half expecting her to recite some poetry and maybe do a few acoustic numbers, but for two hours she let rip like it was still 1976. She's 66 now but her voice is stronger than ever -- I couldn't believe it, it was Patti Smith tearing the house down! "Outside of society -- that's where I wanna be!" she's been there and she means what she's saying. And when she delivers the punch line -- "not mine" - unbelievable. Life changing. Not so much a live show as a religious experience. If you ever get the chance to see her, don't miss it.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    A quick browse of this page reaffirms why I seldom look in the music thread.

Something for which both the thread contributors and me can be grateful.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

As Music Streaming Grows, Royalties Slow to a Trickle - New York Times

Yep.

Pretty much why bands tour, it's literally the only way to make any $ without massive advertising deals (such as with YT). It's why we're seeing every 90's band with a minor hit on the road, as long as they cover costs they're doing okay, they'll get a nice royalty boost from the tour and maybe make some money of merchandise. It's hard to make a living trying to sell something no-one wants to pay for any more. You're also fighting against the perception from people that musicians should make nothing, good music only comes from suffering, etc. and, considering the scads of indie beige from white middle-class iMusos out there, there's probably quite a bit of truth in that.....

Me, I've always assumed music would do nothing but cost me money so I can record without fear of a record company dictating stuff*. Yes it feels liberating. But, by the same token, how many bands have recorded their best albums when they've a faith injection in the form of some revenue and the relative security of a contract? "You there, Band X, we love you/think you'll make us serious bank, here's 50 hours of studio time and your living expenses covered for the next year. Make us some hits." = confidence and freedom. Plus there's the added issue of not every member of the band being on-board with the whole 'meh, if we make money, bonus' attitude, maintaining interest in the project becomes problematic even when you're playing live to great rooms but no-one's making a cent.

Anyway, speaking of my band**, here's a sampler of the new album we'll be putting out to glorious fanfare very soon. A perfect example of an independently recorded release with no input from anyone but the band. Please consider.

https://soundcloud.com/thecolourphon...-kung-fu-album

*Yes, Colourphonics have a record company but they have no input into the music. Besides, they're looking a bit shaky like many independent record companies.....

**Yes, shameless. All the kids are doing it.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 29-01-2013 at 04:28 PM.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    If you're still trying to charge upwards of $10 for a digital download then suck it up it's no wonder no-one wants to buy that ****. If I listen to a band and like them I'll chuck 'em a fiver via Bandcamp though, or more for a physical release. I've seen little to suggest that people aren't still willing to help out good musicians who they want to hear more of, but the pricing needs to get real. Fast.

Btw TC, how much to send a copy of your album further down under? Wouldn't mind splashing out for one if it's not too much.
    Exit pursuing a beer

Thread Information