Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Music discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Their baroque is just background fluff though, really - if I want baroque extravaganza I listen to Vivaldi or Rufus. The music isn't anything special as far as I can hear - it could be the weight of expectations, I s'pose - but really, things like

doesn't help. I genuinely can't see what's special and thus feel very underwhelmed by the whole thing.
    Well it doesn't help that you're pretty vague about what you don't see in them either. Each to their own etc, but the quality of their songwriting is second to none. I wouldn't restrict them to a genre either with epic prog rock stuff like The Tain, The Island then your folkish Mariners Revenge not to mention the strong Klezmer and shanty influence as well.

Honestly what I reckon is their strongest point is the fact they're not writing your traditional love/depressed/soul searching/introspective songs (although when they do they do it brilliantly in Japanese folk story style) but they're writing stuff about Russian spies, a kid apologising to his friend for losing his bike, joint suicide, mobster murder, a mother who pays for her kids food by selling her body every night, serial killers etc etc. But hey, each to their own.
    Last edited by pasag; 06-09-2008 at 05:52 PM.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    They're all quality songs, only song that's really filler is Rendezvous Potrero Hill which is just a cute little instrumental track in its own right anyway. Sign of a great album is top notch songs with a lack of filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Well it doesn't help that you're pretty vague about what you don't see in them either.
    I can't get any kind of tune, for a start. It just flows and seems to be a backdrop for their stories - which is fair, but it's not what I look for in a song (I want the music to hook me first and then, possibly, as an afterthought, the lyrics to be semi-coherent).

Honestly what I reckon is their strongest point is the fact they're not writing your traditional love/depressed/soul searching/introspective songs (although when they do they do it brilliantly in Japanese folk story style) but they're writing about stuff about Russian spies, a kid apologising to his friend for losing his bike, joint suicide, mobster murder, a mother who pays for her kids food by selling her body every night, serial killers etc etc. But hey, each to their own.
    This is fair. I haven't really given their lyrics that much of a chance, but it comes back to the music not hooking me itfp.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Their music is good a blend of a lot of different styles and I'm a big fan of strings in rock so that's a big plus, but yeah the lyrics, stories and subject matter are their main point. The lead singers voice is also somewhat of an acquired taste. It's kind of like Dylan who after a while you start to really appreciate the music and voice as well, even though that's not what you're there for.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Yeah it's quite bare, Augie March are great but can't think of anyone else of note at the moment. On the songwriting front, I read this article a couple weeks back - link
    Have ordered Moo You Bloody Choir off Amazon on the strength of your recommendation. No pressure...

Nah, was only £3.89 or something so figured how bad could it be?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Have ordered Moo You Bloody Choir off Amazon on the strength of your recommendation. No pressure...

Nah it's a great album. One Crowded Hour topped the Triple J Hottest 100 two (I think) years ago here.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Yeah quality all the way through, new album coming out in a month (Y)

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    The Cold Acre, probably my favourite Augie March song. Not one that jumps out at you when listening to the album for the first time, unlike One Crowded Hour, but grows on you to the point it becomes the best track on the album.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The Decemberists, IMO, were always fantastic lyrically but only managed to get a few hooks at The Crane Wife. The other stuff's just as good, but you don't like it quite so instantly, their later stuff is definitely the place to start. Much more listenable for those who cannot be bothered with 9-minute revenge ballads with very little notable musical about them.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

S'really pretty ok. On second listen now. I would guess Glenn Richards has a lot of the same records as me because I heard a lot of stuff that put my in mind of other bands (Van Morrison, Buffalo Tom, Elbow, Embrace, Turin Brakes and, sadly, Counting Crows, which is pretty much the same as Van Morrison, admittedly).

cpr
    Haha Brumbs dislike of Counting Crows shining through again, gwan, mention them without referring to Van Morrison for once, dare ya
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Great news for all the hardcore Acca Dacca fans here. Tour starts towards the end of October, with their second show in Chicago.
    RIP Craigos

All the hardcore AC/DC fans stopped being fans when Bon died tbf.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Yeah, keen on this, and there's an album to follow next year some time.

I wish they'd tour Australia already though, ****.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Nah, but look, what have they got going for them? Possibly lyrics which sound a tad like poetry, otherwise they're just Keane for people who don't like pianos.

(Ftr, I like Keane.)
    I think "sounds like poetry" is sort of missing the point, given it's the actual content of his writing that appeals, not the size of the vocabulary.

Anyway, they push so many more musical boundaries than Keane, seriously. Obviously most Decemberists fans are mainly interested in Colin's songwriting, and he is indeed a very good writer (again, much better than Keane, geez), but they're a talented bunch and do a lot of really interesting pieces of music aside from that. They might not quite stand alone, but it's not just a platform for the lyrics. Sort of like The Smiths, in that regard.

Page 10 of 121 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread Information