Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 54 of 155 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    King is one of the authors that I just can't finish. I've tried numerous times, but I just give up.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    King is one of the authors that I just can't finish. I've tried numerous times, but I just give up.
    Haha, he seems to be a love/hate author. This is my first go at him.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

I was really enjoying King's Dark Tower Series.
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

Was?

School Boy/Girl Captain GraemeSmith's Avatar
    Everyone here has probably read them already but I'm behind the zeitgeist so I just got around to reading Stieg Larsson's 'Millenium' trilogy. The first one 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' is pretty meh like a typical Agatha Christie novel but the second and the third one (The girl who played with fire and The girl who stirred the hornet's nest) kick all kind of ass, they are some of the best thrillers I've ever read. I am about halfway through the third one and it is made of awesome.

Same here and I really want to like his work. I tried reading The Gunslinger last summer and it seemed so pointless... a guy walking through the desert and nothing else happening, got through a 100 pages of The Stand (which is a brick) and it was so average.

But it works both ways though, For every elitist snob who refuses to get within 20m of anything published after 1942, there is one **** who thinks 'Wheel of Time'(Like srsly?),his latest Dan Brown ****e(Worst Author I've ever read btw) and Stephen King(Don't mind some of his books tbh) are the best things that happened to the universe since sliced bread.

The only book I bought and did not finish(Along with WoT obv.) is 'The Feynman Lectures on Physics' which was recommended by a friend of mine who said it would suddenly make Physics 'easy and interesting', though I have to give it credit for not managing to pull off the scary yet dull aura only Physics books can, it did not interest me much, though to be fair, I never was from a scientific bend of mind. His Memoir is probably the best I've read of that kind though.
    Last edited by Teja.; 22-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    But it works both ways though, For every elitist snob who refuses to get within 20m of anything published after 1942, there is one **** who thinks 'Wheel of Time'(Like srsly?),his latest Dan Brown ****e(Worst Author I've ever read btw) and Stephen King(Don't mind some of his books tbh) are the best things that happened to the universe since sliced bread.

The only book I bought and did not finish(Along with WoT obv.) is 'The Feynman Lectures on Physics' which was recommended by a friend of mine who said it would suddenly make Physics 'easy and interesting', though I have to give it credit for not managing to pull of the scary yet dull aura only Physics books can, it did not interest me much, though to be fair, I never was from a scientific bend of mind. His Memoir is probably the best I've read of that kind though.
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Was?
    Somewhere along the line it lost it's appeal and became a chore to read. I finally gave up during Wolves of the Calla. I can't tell you at what point I stopped enjoying it, but it happened unfortunately.

Such is life.

Apart from that I've been reading Jack Vance, love his works.

The only book I bought and did not finish(Along with WoT obv.) is 'The Feynman Lectures on Physics' which was recommended by a friend of mine who said it would suddenly make Physics 'easy and interesting', though I have to give it credit for not managing to pull off the scary yet dull aura only Physics books can, it did not interest me much, though to be fair, I never was from a scientific bend of mind. His Memoir is probably the best I've read of that kind though.
    Lol Dan Brown gets so much hate on every book/writing forum in existence. They're good conspiracy theory fun but once you've read two you can puzzle out Browns plot formula pretty easily.

WoT is another love/hate thing. The series has its flaws, some serious, but I still think its awesome. And there's a lot more people who get into Sword of Truth and think its the shizz than people who read the series Goodkind copied before dumping some Ayn Rand in it Wheel of Time.

The most fun I've ever had was reading a Tolkien vs Goodkind vs Martin vs Jordan thread on some random forum a while back now. Brought out the integrity of the internet, it did.

Different boats for different folks and all, but Literary Fiction, for a genre on extremely shaky ground, is a pollutant in universities because many academics drum it into young writers minds that Lit Fic is the only stuff worth writing and "genre fiction" is drivel.

Thats why I despise it. There is no such thing as literary fiction and it is far too influential in tertiary education. We were told last year in (compulsory) creative writing paper that if we want to write genre fiction, don't bother turning up. I was ignorant to the whole lit fic vs genre fic crap at the time and submitted a sci fi piece for an assignment. That ended well.

I still passed, but it was a close run thing.

Anyway, the reason people prefer Brown, King et al over "Literary fiction" authors is because in general, they show (well in Browns case tell) a better story. Story wins out over everything else (provided the quality of the writing is up to a standard) EVERY time. Thats why Potter is so big. JK isn't the most technically correct author, in fact she's pretty average, but her story affects readers in a way most will never achieve.

I don't have much time for Twilight, but it is a story that touched millions and to me an author who can do that deserves a nod of respect.

It doesn't help authors who identify themselves as literary fiction authors that a lot of work in that errr genre... is very pretentious and ironically, full of flowery prose (bit like that commercial whore Jordan really). Also, lit fic ain't a genre. It's an idea formed by a self proclaimed intellectual elite.

I like what John Updike has to say. He says all his works are literary fiction simply because "they are written in words."

Art is subjective. The pair of us are proving it. I don't know if you're a writer, but that guy you called a **** is a reader. There are many like him. They want a good story. They decide whether your stuff is good or not. Take the reader for a fool at your peril.

Not really, it's completely different. People who think King is best or Brown is best generally do so because they actually think it is. I've no problem with people thinking A Portrait is the best, but I know many people who say that only because it's the 'in' thing to do in lit circles. Upon actual questioning from someone who has read the book - it happens often that they barely know what the hell they're talking about. And they're the ones looking down on everyone else. That's of course ignoring the fact that all of this is completely subjective in the first place.

I have not met a single person who reads King and looks down on people who read King Lear as somehow inferior. Being a snob is different from thinking something is best, and it's certainly different from being a faux snob.
    I hate how you just wrote in two paragraphs what I took a big long post to write (with a few rants thrown in).

Does this make me the mostest writerly?

Not really, it's completely different. People who think King is best or Brown is best generally do so because they actually think it is. I've no problem with people thinking A Portrait is the best, but I know many people who say that only because it's the 'in' thing to do in lit circles. Upon actual questioning from someone who has read the book - it happens often that they barely know what the hell they're talking about. And they're the ones looking down on everyone else. That's of course ignoring the fact that all of this is completely subjective in the first place.

I have not met a single person who reads King and looks down on people who read King Lear as somehow inferior. Being a snob is different from thinking something is best, and it's certainly different from being a faux snob.

I think James Joyce sucks ass and I'd take Arthur C Clarke anyday over him. I think Hemingway was the best novelist of the twentieth century, The Grapes of Wrath is the most overrated novel of all time, and King Lear is the best piece of literature I've ever read.

Some of those are "acceptable" positions as far as the pseudo-intellectuals of the lit world go, some aren't. But the opinions are what I genuinely think, not due to some snobbery or because it's the 'in' thing. Obviously people will have opinions, that's not the issue here.

Even better, your post has cloak skillz.

EDIT: Nope, you just deleted then reposted. Cheat.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 22-06-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I hate how you just wrote in two paragraphs what I took a big long post to write (with a few rants thrown in).

Does this make me the mostest writerly?
    It makes you Joyce and me Hemingway.

Stupid browser...2x posts...

Of course that also means you'll die of an ulcer and I'll blow my face off with a shotgun.

It makes you Joyce and me Hemingway.

Stupid browser...2x posts...
    I have the most stylish name though, and thats what counts. Hemingway just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Thread Information