Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 52 of 155 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    My English teacher remembered the day where you couldn't teach TKAM that in schools.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Are books those things they sell at the 'library' or something?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Whitcoulls had 50% of paperbacks the other day.

Picked up Catch-22 and Dune for a nifty 30 bucks.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post

In my defence I read it in English class back in the day. English ruins every book.
    Strongly recommend you re-read it mate. Genuine classic.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    I just finished reading Crossroads of Twilight. It is everything that the review says it is. Boring, Long, and Pointless. Had to literally force myself to read it by repeating 'The remaining books are good'. Have now started with 'A feast for crows'.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruxdude View Post
    I just finished reading Crossroads of Twilight. It is everything that the review says it is. Boring, Long, and Pointless. Had to literally force myself to read it by repeating 'The remaining books are good'. Have now started with 'A feast for crows'.
    Hahahaha good old Crossroads.

CoT should have been the first couple of chapters in Knife of Dreams tbh.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    The Wheel of Time turns, and Books come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Book that gave it birth comes again. In one Book, called the Tenth Book by some, a Book yet to be written, a Book already burned, a yawn rose in the Crossroads of Twilight. The Yawn is not the beginning, there are neither beginning nor endings in the Wheel of Time (not if Jordan is still paid by the word.) But it is a beginning.
    A review that I read on Amazon for this book.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Haha. For me, the first book in the Ringworld series was really good, the rest were pretty bad. I am not a huge fan of the rest of his work either
    Yeah, fair call, the sequels weren't that great, but I certainly don't rate Ringworld as his finest book, it tends not to be the most well known work that are fan favourites, and I call myself a fan owing to my near complete Niven collection . My suggestions if you were so inclined would be A Gift From Earth, Footfall, or a short story of his The Ethics of Madness. Naturally if you've read these and didn't enjoy them then there is no hope. :P
    Last edited by David; 21-06-2010 at 08:41 PM.
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Yeah, fair call, the sequels weren't that great, but I certainly don't rate Ringworld as his finest book, it tends not to be the most well known work that are fan favourites, and I call myself a fan owing to my near complete Niven collection . My suggestions if you were so inclined would be A Gift From Earth, Footfall, or a short story of his The Ethics of Madness. Naturally if you've read these and didn't enjoy them then there is no hope. :P
    Yes, I've read all three. Did not like football - very few alien invasion stories are done well, just because it's too implausible that there be an actual fight if such an event actually occurs - given the vast gulf in technology and time, one side would annihilate the other. Another plug for the Xeelee sequence, where alien fights are done well, and they make sense because humanity have colonized the galaxies and are fighting against a force which humans think they can win against but the opposition barely registers them.

A Gift From Earth was OK, Ethics of Madness I don't remember my impressions, though I have it here somewhere and I'll try re-reading it based on your recommendation.

Though it's fair to say that my tastes don't really match up with much of the rest of SF readership - I believe Football was nominated for Hugo (and maybe won it), so obviously many people thought it was a really good novel.

Footfall... :P It was only nominated for the Hugo.

Hey, we can't all like everything, one man's trash is another man's treasure and other various sayings.

Cricketer Of The Year Mr Casson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Are books those things they sell at the 'library' or something?
    At the what? You mean like the iTunes library?
    'Copperfield,' said Mr. Micawber, 'farewell! Every happiness and prosperity! If, in the progress of revolving years, I could persuade myself that my blighted destiny had been a warning to you, I should feel that I had not occupied another man's place in existence altogether in vain.
    - Wilkins Micawber

Reading 'A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man' by James Joyce atm. Brilliant, brilliant book.

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Reading 'A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man' by James Joyce atm. Brilliant, brilliant book.
    Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Oh - and on a completely separate note, books like A Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man make me happy that I'm in science and not literature. That book was the most pointless piece of crap I've ever read and the praise it gets from uptight literary critics never ceases to amuse me.

They love style over substance. I'll take Old Man and the Sea anyday.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Just read Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku. WAG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Thread Information