Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 152 of 155 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2317
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

  1. #2266
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,515
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Flem, outside of the Mistborn trilogy what’s the best Sanderson to read?
    ive only read mistborn and currently chugging through stormlight archive, which is boring af so far in book 2. there's more friggin mistborn books tho to add to the original trilogy that i haven't read that i want to.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  2. #2267
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,515
    1984 was chilling. a lot of the setup was awkward but the conversations between niall and winston were tops.

  3. #2268
    Cricketer Of The Year Ausage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I'll show ye!!
    Posts
    8,675
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    And all those ****ing endless scenes in the Aiel (sp?) Waste where Egwene and Moiraine (I think it was them anyway) go into the sweat tents to get clean, and there are descriptions about wiping the sweat off each other's naked bodies etc. Fan service AF.
    Spoiler: Moiraine was dead by the time they got to the wastes IIRC.

    Easy mistake to make though given he just wrote one female character (naggy, haughty nuisances) and slapped different names on them.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

    Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEHMbJ_FVfA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA

    RIP Craig

  4. #2269
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    ive only read mistborn and currently chugging through stormlight archive, which is boring af so far in book 2. there's more friggin mistborn books tho to add to the original trilogy that i haven't read that i want to.
    Sanderson stuff:


    Mistborn trilogy - high fantasy, swords and magic sorta stuff with the first book having a heist sorta theme. It's great

    Mistborn: Wax and Wayne - set 200 years or so after Mistborn. A hybrid western/fantasy/detective series. The first few years of cars and electricity hitting the Mistborn world. It's fun and short.

    Elantris - probably the first book to give me nightmares in a long long time. His first published novel, not as polished as his other stuff and the only time I felt he is being a bit preachy (Sanderson is Mormon but besides exploring themes that interest him, in other novels you'd never notice he was particularly religious) Some great imagery but skippable imo. It's a high fantasy that really fumbles the politics.

    Stormlight Archive - Phlegm says he is bored, I love it. It's definitely never going to be for the faint of heart. Slow moving and deeply character orientated, if you dislike even one of the main characters after the first book, you should probably just quit. Because each novel is as long as the entire LOTR trilogy, and each main character will probably get about a third of the novel.

    Skyward - haven't read this but did go through the intro, it's on my list - sci fi, seems good

    Steelheart - meant to be good, don't know much about it
    Ausage likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.


  5. #2270
    Global Moderator Teja.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NDTV Propaganda Office
    Posts
    8,300
    Iíve just started with reading the direct English translation of the oldest surviving edition of the Mahabharata (Keshri Ganguli Edition). Itís a 100,000 verse poem describing a war between two royal cousin groups within a dynasty for the throne.

    It was first narrated and transcribed 3000 years ago and is about the futility of war, the limits of the morality of doing evil acts for Ďgoodí ends, the morality of just performing your societal duties even if it indirectly aids a bigger political evil, among hundreds of other human themes explored through major plots, sub-plots and dialogue.

    The book starts with a quote - ďWhat is here can be found elsewhere. What is not here cannot be anywhere else.Ē

    It even touches upon themes like rule of law v. substantive justice v. literal language of law, atheism, transgenderism, the ethics of truthful but intellectually dishonest propaganda, the myth of royal bloodline exceptionality, the ethics of polyamory/cuckoldry etc etc. As a work of understanding the development of ideas at that stage in history, itís just immense.

    Independent of that, the original story is incredibly absorbing. While itís an ultimately moral story about the nature of war, Itís also notably has an insane level of moral ambiguity. A lot of the major characters in the story who are on the bad side are given sympathetic yet imperfect compelling back stories and everybody significant on both sides does unforgivable things at some point.

    Itís very similar to ASOIAF but with more focus on the political aspect, a lot more moral complexity and shades of gray and no dragons/white walker type characters. It has one central sociopathic messiah god character in human form who acts in a Ďany means necessaryí manner in the fight against what he sees as evil. (His speech justifying that gave Oppenheimer the courage to work on the nuclear bomb). Even with him, itís mainly politicking and the instances of actual magic are rare icing and not story-breaking.

    The more abridged the version, the more simplistic and religious it becomes so I wanted to experience the full force of the story along with the cultural context and minutae by reading a direct translation which is 12 volumes long with 500-700 pages per volume.

    Itís pretty hard to absorb each para due to the density of language but also very rewarding when you make the connection and get things. Also very fun to see what metaphors and insults were used 3000 years - like Shakespeare on steroids in that regard. Further, itís notable to see how casual and liberal the work is about *** and how all modern art seems so conservative in comparison. Finishing the thing will definitely take a year or two though.

    I highly recommend that fantasy/politics/philosophy/history buffs read a good condensed version of it(pls no Rajagopalachari). I promise you wonít regret it.

    I recommend John D. Smithís version of it (https://www.amazon.in/Mahabharata-Pe.../dp/0140446818). He cuts a lot of the random tangents, sub-plots and religion to focus on the story while still doing a very faithful job of a accurately translating the important portions of the story - all in 800ish pages which is an amazing feat.
    Last edited by Teja.; 20-06-2019 at 04:01 AM.

  6. #2271
    State Vice-Captain Heboric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,361
    Finsihed Peter F Hamiltons - Pandoras Star & Judas Unchained

    They are both good but quite a hefty read, combined they clock in over 2000 pages in paperback format.

    Some interesting ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Sanderson stuff:


    Mistborn trilogy - high fantasy, swords and magic sorta stuff with the first book having a heist sorta theme. It's great

    Mistborn: Wax and Wayne - set 200 years or so after Mistborn. A hybrid western/fantasy/detective series. The first few years of cars and electricity hitting the Mistborn world. It's fun and short.

    Elantris - probably the first book to give me nightmares in a long long time. His first published novel, not as polished as his other stuff and the only time I felt he is being a bit preachy (Sanderson is Mormon but besides exploring themes that interest him, in other novels you'd never notice he was particularly religious) Some great imagery but skippable imo. It's a high fantasy that really fumbles the politics.

    Stormlight Archive - Phlegm says he is bored, I love it. It's definitely never going to be for the faint of heart. Slow moving and deeply character orientated, if you dislike even one of the main characters after the first book, you should probably just quit. Because each novel is as long as the entire LOTR trilogy, and each main character will probably get about a third of the novel.

    Skyward - haven't read this but did go through the intro, it's on my list - sci fi, seems good

    Steelheart - meant to be good, don't know much about it
    Do you have to read these books in a certain order I know they all in the Cosmere universe but sometimes in these big series there is some obscure novella hiding away somewhere.

  7. #2272
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,073
    There is no reading order but I'd suggest starting with Mistborn. It introduces the concept of the Cosmere but it's very much a background detail.

  8. #2273
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,639
    Would you read the later mistborn ones after the initial trilogy too?

  9. #2274
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,073
    Absolutely. But I’m a sucker for detectivey fiction too.

    Wax and Wayne are great characters

  10. #2275
    State Vice-Captain Heboric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,361
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Would you read the later mistborn ones after the initial trilogy too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Absolutely. But I’m a sucker for detectivey fiction too.

    Wax and Wayne are great characters
    I think i must stay away from these type of websites:

    https://www.alltimelines.com/the-cosmere/

  11. #2276
    Norwood's on Fire GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    League One
    Posts
    60,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Absolutely. But I’m a sucker for detectivey fiction too.

    Wax and Wayne are great characters
    Cool, will read the third some point over the summer and then crack on with the rest amongst everything else

  12. #2277
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Heboric View Post
    I think i must stay away from these type of websites:

    https://www.alltimelines.com/the-cosmere/
    Yep absolutely. I’m probably a good 200-300 hours into Sandersons audiobooks and the Cosmere references are so far probably 10 minutes.

  13. #2278
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,073
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Cool, will read the third some point over the summer and then crack on with the rest amongst everything else
    Wax and Wayne is also a quadrilogy. 4th book due in the next year or so

  14. #2279
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Marsden Bay, NZ
    Posts
    23,784
    I'm rereading Dolores Claiborne at the moment. One of King's more under-rated efforts, IMO.

  15. #2280
    International Captain Sudeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Upstate SC
    Posts
    7,296
    Been a while since I've posted on CW. Not sure if Brandon Sanderson has been discussed before, but recently I've been reading his books... starting first with Mistborn trilogies, and then the Stormlight Archive. All fantastic fantasy books/series. Any fans here?
    ďIf you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.Ē - Douglas Adams



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Book recommendations?
    By Isura in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 11:17 PM
  2. Book of the day
    By andmark in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 14-03-2007, 02:38 AM
  3. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 20-11-2005, 03:37 AM
  4. Writing a book
    By thierry henry in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 21-09-2005, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •