Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 15 of 154 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

International Regular
    Does anyone have any ideas for a 13 year old to read? I want either novels, Cricket books are Rugby League books. No kiddy ****, but Andy Griffiths and Morris Gleitzman are good, but anything younger than that are dire. I have to get them from the local library as well by the way.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Depends what kind of genre you are into or want to explore tbh.

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Does anyone have any ideas for a 13 year old to read? I want either novels, Cricket books are Rugby League books. No kiddy ****, but Andy Griffiths and Morris Gleitzman are good, but anything younger than that are dire. I have to get them from the local library as well by the way.
    Read the Tomorrow... series around your age. Would recommend it.
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Depends what kind of genre you are into or want to explore tbh.
    Well, as mentioned above, I like Morris Gleitzman and his style quite a lot. I also enjoyed the Lockie Leonard series as well, but can't get the second book anywhere. Does that help at all?

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I've never heard of either of them i'm afraid, sorry.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    Read the Tomorrow... series around your age. Would recommend it.
    We had half of Tomorrow when the war began last year, and I loved it. Putting it on loan right now. When I finish it, I will move onto the next book. Looking forward to reading this series.

Any other suggestions?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Finally got around to reading To Kill A Mockingbird. No idea why I waited so long. It's a horribly sad and depressing story, but at the same time there are many moments of warmth and humour. The character of Atticus Finch is really an inspiration for someone aspiring to be a defense lawyer.
    Last edited by _Ed_; 30-09-2008 at 05:35 AM.

Ham on Rye!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ed_ View Post
    Finally got around to reading To Kill A Mockingbird. No idea why I waited so long. It's a horribly sad and depressing story, but at the same time there are many moments of warmth and humour. The character of Atticus Finch is really an inspiration for someone aspiring to be a defense lawyer.
    Unless, of course, you're a defence lawyer in a small American town south of the Mason-Dixon Line.....

I like Atticus more as a 'this is what it means to be a man' character, not so much as a lawyer although, yeah, I agree that I wish more defense lawyers were like him. I gather the character of Furious (Trey's Dad) from Boyz n The Hood was based on him too.

A great real-life example of Atticus I can think of, even though he was a prosecutor, is Vince Bugliosi. Love that guy and his books.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 30-09-2008 at 06:08 AM.

cpr
    Yeah Atticus isnt so much a lawyer, as a role model to his children, best aspect of his character is his attitude to family life and impression on everyone around him. Reckon that reflects heavily in the book how much his influence inspires the children.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

I can't believe I ate the whole thing NZTailender's Avatar
    We had half of Tomorrow when the war began last year, and I loved it. Putting it on loan right now. When I finish it, I will move onto the next book. Looking forward to reading this series.

Any other suggestions?
    Artemis Fowl series?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Finish Highway To Hell: The Life and Times of AC/DC frontman Bon Scott by Clinton Walker. A good read, not just for anyone who's in love with the character, but many Australian music fans would enjoy this as well. He goes in depth about the music scene in the 60s and 70s down under. The first half of the book is only about 50-60% about Bon, the rest about the musicians in Oz around that time. He does demonize the Youngs quite a few times, which is probably why many AC/DC fans couldn't be bothered reading the book and why the band wanted nothing to do with the book. He brings up how Bon was dispensable to the Youngs, how Bon had to sometimes simplify lyrics in order to appease the band, how his notebook full of songs went missing after his death, the management's cold hearted handling of his death, etc.

Overall, I think he does a good job of relating emotions to the character most AC/DC fans love, as there was really not much known about him and his struggles in making it to the top and his struggles with himself. I did get the feeling that Walker does Bon a disservice by not going in detail about his songs later in life and how they sometimes reflected his state of mind.

Overall a good book, but could've been much better, but that's of course an expected opinion from a Bon fan.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

I started reading Nikki Sixx's The Heroin Diaries today. Am about a quarter through it, already finding it awesome, dark and quite scary. Great read so far & much like The Dirt you don't need to be a Crue fan to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Any other suggestions?
    His Dark Materials.
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

RIP Michael Crichton

From the BBC.

I didn't even know he was ill, poor guy. 66 no age nowadays.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Thread Information