cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 148 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150 ... LastLast
Results 2,206 to 2,220 of 2292
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Tbf Burgey made said joke because it means something coming from him.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Not much. But something.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Ooooo errr, a ****ing dragon/ dwarf/ whatever **** bag thing you can come up with.

****ing yawn.
    When a synopsis traumatises
    DEAD GIRL @ CW

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Finally finished The Wolves of the Calla last night. Not as great as good as Wizard and Glass, but still great. Still two hefty instalments of the series to go, but I am sad now that I have reached the a point where I am considerably closer to the end than I am the beginning.

Anyway, can start on Black Leopard Red Wolf properly now, so looking forward to that.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    sanderson is gun. the final empire is one of my favourite books.
    Athlai likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Guys, I need a book recommendation. Would like to read up on the Cold War, particularly about the methods of inflitration used, how it influenced the world today and also about the Cold War generally.
    trundler isn't annoying at all. He's quality. -TJB
    Yea trundler is the new Bijed. Good addition. - Zorax
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    trundler is the coolest member to join the forum in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Guys, I need a book recommendation. Would like to read up on the Cold War, particularly about the methods of inflitration used, how it influenced the world today and also about the Cold War generally.
    With the Cold War, I believe John Lewis Gaddis would be a good author if you're looking for something in-depth. It's been a while since I last read his work, but looking at his Wikipedia page, it would risk being a bit dense for a beginner to the topic but you know yourself and how you take in information best.
    trundler likes this.
    And come what may we're unstoppable
    'cause we know just what we are
    Yeah we know just what we are
    - Oasis, "Stay Young"

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    With the Cold War, I believe John Lewis Gaddis would be a good author if you're looking for something in-depth. It's been a while since I last read his work, but looking at his Wikipedia page, it would risk being a bit dense for a beginner to the topic but you know yourself and how you take in information best.
    No, good recommendation, i read one of his late last year that was a fairly quick read but still covered all the key events well enough. Itís called ĎThe Cold War: A New Historyí
    trundler likes this.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Read the news that Denis Villeneuve is making a Dune movie, so I figured I would finally delve into the novel. Halfway through and I'm really enjoying it. Anyone know if the whole trilogy is of this quality?
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, lads. Flew through a third of the book today alone. Obviously insightful but also very coherently compiled I think. Fascinating subject.
    andmark likes this.

Next few months will consist of:

ASOIAF re-read
    The war in the dark - a fantasy novel set in the Cold War. Sounds right up my street. NB no the fantasy isnít that left wing economics actually works
    The hero of ages - last in the first Mistborn trilogy. Really enjoyed the second book so looking forwards to getting stuck into this

And a few other bits and pieces, maybe some Discworld, some Dennis Lehane and McKinty has a new one coming out.

I'm half way through Lawrence Freedman's "Strategy: A History". A real behemoth of a book, but tough to keep track of given the variety of topics it talks about. Like it goes on about Clausewitz, the Bible, systems theory, the American civil rights campaign, communist insurrection, guerrilla warfare, Leo Tolstoy, strategy in the animal kingdom (ants are *****) and I've missed a load of things out. It's useful in giving the reader awareness of these things, but I can't say it's realistic to understand or remember all of it. I guess that's just a problem when the book covers as broad a topic as the history of strategy.

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    what does it say about throwing the sacred chickens overboard when you don't get the answer you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    what does it say about throwing the sacred chickens overboard when you don't get the answer you want?
    I don't know, probably just force the food down the mouths of those ****** hens.

Quote Originally Posted by andmark View Post
    I'm half way through Lawrence Freedman's "Strategy: A History". A real behemoth of a book, but tough to keep track of given the variety of topics it talks about. Like it goes on about Clausewitz, the Bible, systems theory, the American civil rights campaign, communist insurrection, guerrilla warfare, Leo Tolstoy, strategy in the animal kingdom (ants are *****) and I've missed a load of things out. It's useful in giving the reader awareness of these things, but I can't say it's realistic to understand or remember all of it. I guess that's just a problem when the book covers as broad a topic as the history of strategy.
    That should be a series, not a single book.

Thread Information