cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 143 of 153 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 2290
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend _Ed_'s Avatar
    Just finished Stephen King's Bill Hodges crime trilogy, and I have to say the third book was a real let-down.

I thought the first two were great - exciting plots, beautifully paced, likeable and unique protagonists, and terrifying villains. They were almost creepily prescient as well, with the first book Mr Mercedes (released in 2014) featuring terrorist plots involving a car ramming into a crowd of people and a bombing of an arena full of teenagers at a pop concert. For someone who hasn't done much (any?) previous writing in this genre, King did superbly with both of those boks.

But all of that got a bit lost in the third one, which had a wildly implausible story involving telekinesis, telepathy and hypnotism. I don't mind some of that supernatural stuff in King's other work, but it was a bit of a jarring contrast with the first two books in this series.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep View Post
    Just finished reading We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor, and started the second book in the trilogy, For We Are Many. I was searching for books like Hitchhiker's Guide when I stumbled upon these. It has some resemblance to H2G2, but the writing style is very different. Different doesn't mean bad though. I'm impressed so far, and am looking forward to completing the trilogy.
    Yeah it's a fun trilogy. Only really gets going when it reaches space though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    The Name of the Wind
    &
    The Wise Man's Fear - it's moved up to being probably my favourite book series ever. Rothfuss has such a magnificent way with words. It's just full of little things to take away, and the wider narrative is genuinely absorbing. I have so many theories about what is going on. Unreliable narrators are fantastic.

The Fireman - this was the end of my great books run, don't get me wrong it's good, and the first third/first half of the book is genuinely great. But the latter side of it really lets it down. Joe Hill is one to look out for though, seems to be a bit more of a natural writer than his dad, if not a natural story teller.

Old Man's War series - probably one of the funnier sci fi books I've ever read, it definitely feels like a series that gets worse as it goes along, particularly when the main characters shift. The last book is pretty decent though, and overall it gives a fun look at grand sci fi that doesn't take itself incredibly seriously.

The Fifth Season
    - gave up pretty early on, just plodded along for too long.

Lagoon - interesting idea and it's great to see Africa in a sci fi, but halfway through it lost me when a bunch of random dumb as **** thugs became the central antagonists.

We Are Bob series - similar to the Old Man's War in terms of a wry sense of humour but distinctly nerdier. It's a fun and short series. Absolutely farcical in terms of how it envisions the next year of human history, but it can be forgiven for that with how fun the 150 or so years after that is.
    harsh.ag likes this.

International Captain SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Currently going true Naipaul's Miguel Street
    Pratters likes this.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Read Congo by Michael Crichton over the last few days.

Love the guy, but it's not one of his better works. Some really good bits, but the end feels like the equivalent of a film production that runs out of money and so rushes together a BS finish. As always with his books the discussions about the morality of scientific endeavours were the most memorable.

I also learned a lot about Gorillas.

International Vice-Captain vogue's Avatar
    Haven’t read the new Murakami novel, so can’t comment, but find it rather strange tstl that it should cop a ban...
    https://m.scmp.com/culture/arts-ente...-fair-here-are
    And once the storm is over you wonít remember how you made it through,how you managed to survive. You wonít even be sure,in fact,whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm you wonít be the same person who walked in. Haruki Murakami .

Banned
    Yesterday, I just finished Sanderson's Mistborn, which I read at the suggestion of my wife. I dont often read fantasy novels, and ended up really enjoying it.

School Boy/Girl Captain garylyon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyjack View Post
    Yesterday, I just finished Sanderson's Mistborn, which I read at the suggestion of my wife. I dont often read fantasy novels, and ended up really enjoying it.
    Quite a coincidence because I too just finished the first part of the trilogy. Loved the setting and the premise of the plot, but around the midway (the time around Elend Venture was introduced) I was very much fed up with the character of Vin and she started appearing more and more superficially constructed. Otherwise it was a good book, but I don't think I'm going to read the next part.

In any case, I also picked up another fantasy book The Lions of Al Rassan along with it, which I started as soon as I finished Mistborn. Been loving it so far.

I liked Mistborn and picked up the sequel but havenít bothered to read that yet. I wasnít ready to face it straight after

lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    I think The Final Empire was the best in the series tbh
    OverratedSanity likes this.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I finished reading The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro. Mind is absolutely blown.
    sledger and CasMcG24 like this.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I finished reading The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro. Mind is absolutely blown.
    An absolutely fantastic book. Love it so much.

Banned
    Read a lot of BIll Bryson and Dave Gorman very good reads when I used to commute into London.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    I read this a couple of days after you posted this, in one sitting on a plane. It's fantastic. I've never read anything remotely like it before.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 13-08-2018 at 04:30 AM.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Read short story Rain by Maugham. Didn't understand the ending at all. Any one?

Also Kohinoor by Dalrymple which was excellent.

Thread Information