Page 123 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2373113121122123124 LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 1848
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    spoiler - it's got 3 pages of me explaining how phlegm is a ****
    alcohol was involved i assume?

This Article is similar to one in the Movie thread about terrible reviews.

I must admit in the film one and this one amongst the idiocy I agree with some of it.

I mean I just can't read Ulyssees, ewven though I've tried. Sorry
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Read Surface Detail and The Hydrogen Sonata by the late Iain Banks over the last week or so. Not the best of his Culture novels, but still entertaining and enjoyable.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Have never liked complex universes with too many characters. Prefer a well told story about the lives of a few people. With too many, character development and soliloquies become rare and difficult.

For example, have always found The Hobbit to be a better read than LOTR.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Weird comparison when you list character development as one of the distinguishing traits tbh
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Haha, yeah, you can barely call the "characters" in The Hobbit, or LOTR, as characters at all.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    There really are no female characters with any internal lives in those books. There are a few characters that are developed but most are relatively cardboard. If anything, those books are the perfect examples of "complex universes" - I mean the dude created whole languages and a mythical history of the planet....
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Recently finished reading India after Gandhi by Ramchandra Guha. Recommended reading for those interested in Indian history post independence, a period that is not touched in school text books.

Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Recently finished reading India after Gandhi by Ramchandra Guha. Recommended reading for those interested in Indian history post independence, a period that is not touched in school text books.
    This is an outstanding book. Have read it front-to-back several times. Also, pretty sure I was taught a fair bit about Indian history in high school in CBSE, at least. I remember studying the Mandal commission and the emergency at least. Not at length though, of course.
    Last edited by Teja.; 21-08-2014 at 06:55 AM.
    Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? – Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    This is an outstanding book. Have read it front-to-back several times. Also, pretty sure I was taught a fair bit about Indian history in high school in CBSE, at least. I remember studying the Mandal commission and the emergency at least. Not at length though, of course.
    What's your age, again?

Many of us went to school in the previous century so a lot may have changed

EDIT: And as far as Mandal commission is concerned, I am old enough to have memories of the events when they occurred. I did not know much of the period from Independence to when VP Singh became PM.

Edit 2: One criticism of the book can be that it dedicates far too many pages on the Nehruvian era and much fewer on latter eras. In particular, rise of militancy in Punjab and India's role in Sri Lankan civil war were glossed over quickly. Would have liked a chapter on each.
    Last edited by ankitj; 23-08-2014 at 12:40 AM.

First Class Debutant Swingpanzee's Avatar
    Huge fan of Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder. The Orange Girl and the Ringmaster's Daughter being favourites atm.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ankitj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post

I did the state school thing and I was very young but I rarely if ever saw anything post independence. And what little I saw was extremely biased. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to buy it.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Reading The Ghost by Robert Harris. Love his work tbh

Just read Young Men in Spats by the incomparable Wodehouse. I read one every few years, just to remind me of sublime comic writing. I read oodles of them when I was yoinger, and I'm not sure if I'm re-reading, but really does it matter?

After all you kind of know the plots, some young bean is thwarted in love-at-first-sight with the pastors daughter Ginnifer Upington-Smythe, of the Dorset Uppington-Smythe's,rum lot by all accounts, by some dashed unfortunate happenings, involving elderly matrons and patrons of his and theirs.

It's the writing that makes you pour over everything, the plots are of course accidental really.

Excerpt from first story, in drone club.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet
    I mean to say, it's no good worrying and trying to look ahead and plan and scheme and weigh your every action, if you follow me, because you never can tell when doing such-and-such won't make so-and-so-happen, while on the other hand if you do so-and-so it may just as easily lead to such-and-such.
    A pale faced Egg with heavy circles under his eyes rose at this point and excused himself.
    Samuel_Vimes likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swingpanzee View Post
    Huge fan of Norwegian author Jostein Gaarder. The Orange Girl and the Ringmaster's Daughter being favourites atm.
    There's a name I haven't heard for a while. I read Sophie's World when I was nine, which I don't understand how I could possibly have enjoyed.

(Sorry, the 'local boy makes good' paragraph of the Norwegian constitution stipulates that all citizens must comment on any mention of a compatriot's achievements.)
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Thread Information