Page 119 of 123 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,785 of 1832
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Patrick Rothfuss writes fine, but absolutely nothing seems to happen in his books. I am like 30% in to the second book and have almost no knowledge about the world, the heroes or the villains. There is only so much I can read about a poor intelligent kid who is struggling to meet ends and his escapades which add almost nothing to the story.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    yeah.....not much seems to happen in his books it seems (I am 30% into the first one of the king killer chronicles). But he has had such rave reviews for both books
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    yeah.....not much seems to happen in his books it seems (I am 30% into the first one of the king killer chronicles). But he has had such rave reviews for both books
    That is what I do not understand. Everybody raves about him but I just do not get it.

International Debutant ohnoitsyou's Avatar
    Spoiler alert

Imo, the lack of background information is one of the things that makes the books so good. Martin, Jorden etc, overwhelm you with everything about the world, its races, magic etc. Rothfuss just concentrates on the store of Kvothe, only giving away background information sparingly, which produces mystery about the world. Not knowing who the Amyr and other grounds are, makes sense, because no one in the novels knows much either.

That actually sounds quite good. One thing I find about fantasy novels is that the more the lore is expanded, the less exciting and interesting they tend to become.

I am a big fan of how GRRM reveals the history of his lands and the back story of the various characters too. At most times it fits well into the narrative and keeps you interested for more.

The problem I have with "The Kingkiller Chronicles" is I find no discernible progress in the overarching story till the point I have read and also it is not like he totally ignores the lore of the land in his narrative. He talks of different creatures, different kingdoms and we are left with little clue about what they are. Hopefully things improve in the remaining portion of the book.

This is most probably a taste issue since this series is rated crazy good by most people.

well a lot of stuff happens in the last half of the second book, so it definitely improves from that point of view.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsyou View Post
    well a lot of stuff happens in the last half of the second book, so it definitely improves from that point of view.
    Ok, that is good to know since I have almost finished book 1 (will have it done over the weekend and will begin book 2)

I've just read through Sword of Shadows by JV Jones, highly recommend it, one of the best series I've read in a while. Interesting plot and great characters combined with near Martinesque levels of grit and tension makes for a really compelling read

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    I am reading Crow Road for the first time, because of the regrettable news poseted here before. can't believe I haven't read it before, it's pretty much my ideal book.

I think I've only read Iain M. Banks before, which is odd really as crime fiction is my thing really.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    I am reading Crow Road for the first time, because of the regrettable news poseted here before. can't believe I haven't read it before, it's pretty much my ideal book.

I think I've only read Iain M. Banks before, which is odd really as crime fiction is my thing really.
    I started reading Crow Road in Sixth Form and then got distracted with other things. Birds I had no chance of shagging, I'd imagine. Should read it properly.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Ploughed through a lot of crime and legal stuff of late. Adrian McKinty's i Hear Sirens in the Street was a particularly good read, set in Northern Ireland in the early 80s and really taking you there. Was the second part of a trilogy which I wish I'd realised beforehand, nonetheless I'll give the 1st and 3rd a read. Highly recommended anyhow.

Now reading Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom. Bit of a change of genre, but set in 1940 Madrid it's off to a good start. I know Sansom has a PHD in History and writes a lot of historical fiction and the WW2 period is one that has always interested me.

Very good author apparently, or so Sledger Snr tells me. We have loads of his books back home.

Oh, God, I'm bored. Might as well be listening to Genesis
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Ploughed through a lot of crime and legal stuff of late. Adrian McKinty's i Hear Sirens in the Street was a particularly good read, set in Northern Ireland in the early 80s and really taking you there. Was the second part of a trilogy which I wish I'd realised beforehand, nonetheless I'll give the 1st and 3rd a read. Highly recommended anyhow.

Now reading Winter in Madrid by CJ Sansom. Bit of a change of genre, but set in 1940 Madrid it's off to a good start. I know Sansom has a PHD in History and writes a lot of historical fiction and the WW2 period is one that has always interested me.
    Read McGinty, yeah he's good, Love Sansom's Shardlake books, haven't read Winter in Madrid, even though I've got it here, probably should give it a bash.

I love historical Crime Fiction me.

Yeah if I enjoy this ill probably get the Shardlake books

Thread Information