Cricket Player Manager
Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Book Thread

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Reclaiming History - Vince Bugliosi

1600-odd pages of JFK conspiracy theory debunking + 900-odd pages of extra notes from the guy who wrote Helter Skelter. Bogs down in legal stuff (ex-Police here so I got into it but others may not) but if you can struggle through the excruciating attention to detail and Vince's rather bullish style, it's a bit of a tome from a serious student of the topic.

Oswald did it.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Still slogging through this one. Dear God, Bugliosi is a nutter. Amazing book but to summon the motivation to write about this topic for 21 years, mate, the dude has to be insane. You even read what everyone had for breakfast the morning of the shooting, it's that detailed.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar

The Book Thread

I searched twice to find something like this but I got over 400 results each time so I decided just to make a new thread, though I imagine this topic has probably been done before.

Anyway, i'm going on holiday soon and need some books to keep me entertained. I used to be a keen reader a few years ago but kind of stopped when I discovered the internet, so my 'classic books read' category is sorely missing.

Basically, I want to find some books to read that are really classic and the kind of book everyone should read (A film example of this would be Star Wars or The Godfather for instance). I know a fair bit about classic films/music, but I'm sorely lacking when it comes to books.

Any suggestions for classic books, or modern greats?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by open365 View Post
    I searched twice to find something like this but I got over 400 results each time so I decided just to make a new thread, though I imagine this topic has probably been done before.

Anyway, i'm going on holiday soon and need some books to keep me entertained. I used to be a keen reader a few years ago but kind of stopped when I discovered the internet, so my 'classic books read' category is sorely missing.

Basically, I want to find some books to read that are really classic and the kind of book everyone should read (A film example of this would be Star Wars or The Godfather for instance). I know a fair bit about classic films/music, but I'm sorely lacking when it comes to books.

Some pretty involved reads that I've enjoyed were Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, or Jack Kerouac's On The Road. If you're after something a little less weighty, try The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald or Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird.

Actually that last one is the one I'd recommend most as a holiday read. It has serious themes but also a childish innocence.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Jack Kerouac's On The Road
    Will eventually get around to reading that. Dharma Bums was great.

Just finished reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, awesome read.

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird.

Actually that last one is the one I'd recommend most as a holiday read. It has serious themes but also a childish innocence.
    My all time favorite book. You have described it beautifully.

Besides the ones already mentioned, I would recommend William Golding's Lord of the Flies, Bram Stoker's Dracula and pretty much anything by Mark Twain.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Am reading Gai-jin at the moment..it's pretty decent

I would think all Artemis Fowl books should be good. I've only read two so far, but they're pretty awesome. Of course, you need to like the genre.
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    The Enchanted Wood is a personal fave of mine...

At the minute I am reading non-fiction. Got a bio of Slash, which I will follow with Nikki Sixx's Heroin Diairies, then Duncan Fletcher's autobio and then a book called Verona which follows an English football fan on the road with Italian football team Verona. When I'm done with them might start getting myself back into fiction. The problem for me, when I read fiction, is that I get so involved in it that I can't concentrate on anything else and just wanna sit and read. Can't stand to read a great novel and only get a small window each day to read it, so at the minute I've not been doing it!
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Some pretty involved reads that I've enjoyed were Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, or Jack Kerouac's On The Road. If you're after something a little less weighty, try The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald or Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird.

Gun.

Brother Fish and The Brethren by John Grisham
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Nineteen Eighty-Four
    Reading this atm whilst trying to finish The Big Ship, only a couple of chapters left to the latter, so should be done by the end of the year
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Battle Royale is a fantastic book if you can get ahold of an English copy. But it is ridiculously depressing.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Not usually into fantasy stuff, but have been reading the wheel of time series by Robert Jordan for the last few months, just finished the Fires of Heaven, best of the lot so far imo.

Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread Information