Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotmail's gone crazy

State Vice-Captain

Hotmail's gone crazy

Anyone had emails disappear on hotmail lately. Or not arrive at the other end. I have spend all day getting my messages back that have been going all over the world but not to the people I want them too.

Crazy but true!!!!

I emailed hotmail staff and I got the reply. 'Yeah hotmail has been doing this a bit lately and we hope to have the problem sorted soon'

And they also told me that my problem could be because I have 53 spys on my computer. I thought thats wierd how do they know so I took my computer into a shop to get it cleaned out ( this computer is only about 1 year old) and they removed 117 spys from it. Including MSN people, Microsoft and HOTMAIL STAFF who have access not only to your email but to your entire hard drive.

AHHHHHHHHH!(sorry i had to get all that out. I am so angry)

State Vice-Captain Umpire Money's Avatar
    sorry to say this but if you use the crappest email service there is your gonna pay the consiquence
    You have just read a post from Jason Pike, he is what you wish you were

Cricket Spectator
    Hotmail staff told you that you had 53 pieces of spyware on your PC?? How did they do that? Don't tell me you let a complete stranger remote connect to your PC?

And you took it to a computer store to get spyware removed? Sheesh, you could have downloaded a cleaner off the Web for free! No driving to the store, leaving your PC behind (with God knows what personal info on it!), no wait, no going back to collect it, etc.

If all these people have access to your PC, it's because you let them. I think it's a PEBCAK issue.

State Vice-Captain
    I am changing now!

State Vice-Captain
    You don't need to let them connect. when you by a computer, microsoft have spys in.. MSN, WinMX, BonziBuddy, and xtra chat were just a few that they removed.. I only took it to the shop because i needed a new modem anyway and it cost me nothing and I also got free software with it and it took 20 minutes and for the whole time i was over the road looking at a laptop so I waste no time. If fact I din't have to spend time downloading it.

SO it is not because I let people... unless you call letting them, buying a computer

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I recommend AdAware
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Spectator
    Originally posted by Tamara
    You don't need to let them connect. when you by a computer, microsoft have spys in.. MSN, WinMX, BonziBuddy, and xtra chat were just a few that they removed.. I only took it to the shop because i needed a new modem anyway and it cost me nothing and I also got free software with it and it took 20 minutes and for the whole time i was over the road looking at a laptop so I waste no time. If fact I din't have to spend time downloading it.

SO it is not because I let people... unless you call letting them, buying a computer
    In all my time, I have never heard anything like that happening. MSN? You have to sign up for it to use it. Even then, there is no script on MSN that allows them to peer into your hard drive. In fact, Microsoft only grab a hardware ID as part of its license agreement when installing Windows XP. Anything else, you give them.

WinMX is a peer-to-peer file sharing tool. The default setting for that is just a folder that you have agreed to share. If you have shared your whole drive (a really silly thing to do), then anyone can connect to your PC when you have WinMX running. Also, WinMX is not part of any software bundle. You must have installed it. Microsoft have no part of it.

BonziBuddy is another thing you must have clicked to accept to download and install. It was subject to some stringent laws a few years ago when the download/install was hidden, but nowadays it is very clear and upfront whether you want to install it. BonziBuddy tracks Internet usage (pages visited, etc) and sends that info back to their servers to be sold to other agencies. Nothing goes to Microsoft.

Microsoft only have the info you willingly gave over. A lot of conspiracy freaks have long been looking for the proof to what you say and have never found it. If you have proof that Hotmail staff were able to look into your drive and tell you exactly how many pieces of spyware you had, then show us. All it would take is the headers of the email Hotmail staff sent you stating such a thing.:rolleyes:

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by Umpire Money
    sorry to say this but if you use the crappest email service there is your gonna pay the consiquence

And get spam
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by Tamara
    You don't need to let them connect. when you by a computer, microsoft have spys in..

<snip>

McAfee Internet Security's a good product (comes packaged with VShield and Guarddog) - especially if you have broadband and an 'always-up' connection.

You can tailor your machine to allow which resources and applications have access to the internet, block individual addresses and the like - even down to repelling port scans.

Costs a bit (about 40 pounds sterling if you buy it from dabs.com) but so far (a year) I've never had any unwarranted intrusions.

It's possible, of course that you have a trojan infection on your machine - but 53? I think not.

And as GazmanAus states, although MS are perceived to be quite an insidious organisation, they haven't taken over the world (and your machine, Tamara) - just yet.

State Vice-Captain
    I am not the smartest computer person but the point is that i send emails and they aren't getting to where they should be going.. I am angry that I have private emails that could very well be getting into the wrong hands.

As for the likes of winMX. I do use some of the chat rooms but basicly it if for downloading songs and movies etc. If you are connected people who know what they are doing can get through your computer.

And MSN can only happen if you accept an address. I wouldn't have a clue who some of the people's address are on mine so it could very well be someone who i don't want there.

Anyone know any good relable emails??? I need a new one.

Rediffmail is a good one and it opens very fast. Your address will be @rediffmail.com. You have to signup and login at www.rediff.com . You may not like it since it is an indian website and contains indian news. But it opens very quickly and is reliable too.

Cricket Spectator
    Your ISP should also be able to give you numerous email addresses (I have five allowed, one of which is for spam).

You should also look at programs like ZoneAlarm which stops hacks into your computer and any traffic out that shouldn't be happenning. Also apps like SpyBotSD and Spyware Blaster cleans your PC of any spyware installed and also keeps an eye on any attempts to install. And don't forget your anti-virus updates. These are all free and essential if you plan to surf the Web.

Pinball Champion!
    Im fed up with the amount of junk mail i get sent with hotmail.. Ive only given my address to ebay and a few forums, but i get about 25 junk messages a day...

I really want to change, but dont know whether i can be bothered..

I know someone with an address at www.ananzi.co.za, although its a south african website, they never get any junk mail at all, and its quicker and easier to use :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    I absolutely hate hotmail , ****loads of junk just popping up frm nowhere what a pain in the arse...
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information