Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mugabe situation-is anyone really going to do anything?

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar

The Mugabe situation-is anyone really going to do anything?

I wonder, Bush and the UN and Brown all seem to be saying crape about him but no one really seems to be doing anything, question on my mind is will Zimbabweans have to put up with yet another term of this man? Lets face it he lost an election whats the point in having a democracy if your just going to kill people every time you lose (Apart from maybe keeping us happy) But even that's not working because we know whats going on here.

Usually I'll say lets look at the other side but there is no justification for the other side.
    Last edited by cover drive man; 30-06-2008 at 10:48 AM.
    Everyone wants to change the world, noone wants to change himself.

-Tolstoy

International Captain cover drive man's Avatar
    I mean look at how terrified these people are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYearPszJo

Perhaps if it was the middle east which is the biggest area for oil there would be a different situation. Not that I'll condole an invasion.

International Regular Bobisback's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cover drive man View Post
    I wander
    I stopped reading at that point, learn how to spell and get back to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyush
    I didn't call you a fat bitch. So pipe down.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Perhaps if it was the middle east which is the biggest area for oil there would be a different situation. Not that I'll condole an invasion.
    because oil has lead to the Middle East as a bastion of transparent democracy? I didnt think so.

Anyway,

Its lazy to criticise Western leaders for not taking a more active role. Any political considerations have been hamstrung by Commonwealth countries and Africas lack of ability to regulate its own leaders. African leaders have had the opportunity to deal with this situation but have steadfastly refused to address it and organisations such as SADC have been slow to recognise problems.

Dealing with Mugabe has been the equivalent of walking on egg shells with Mugabe being promoted as a shining example of Black African leadership rather than a case needing post colonial intervention.

Zimbabwe is now one of Afircas, and the Commonwealths, self made political disasters. However, in the post-colonial age certain issues proved more important to those that have backed Mugabe than the fair and successful running of the country.

With Mugabe went the hopes and dreams of many for strong, proud and successful African leadership. From inspirational figure he proceeded to destroy the country. Ripping it apart like has never been seen outside warfare. To accept these huge failings meant to many they would have to accept that the shining light of African leadership was a tyrant and a failure. Politically, many could not bring themselves to do that.

Many African (and other Commonwealth countries) have ignored the sins of Mugabe for prideful reasons and he has literally been allowed to get away with murder. Even now, the principles behind supporting Mugabe (camaraderie and Black African leadership) means certain groups will ignore the horrors.

The Zim sitiation isnt simple.
    Last edited by Goughy; 30-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    I know this is drastically over-simplifying things, but someone should just ****ing kill him.

Pinball Champion!
    I wonder, Bush and the UN and Brown all seem to be saying crape about him but no one really seems to be doing anything, question on my mind is will Zimbabweans have to put up with yet another term of this man? Lets face it he lost an election whats the point in having a democracy if your just going to kill people every time you lose (Apart from maybe keeping us happy) But even that's not working because we know whats going on here.

Usually I'll say lets look at the other side but there is no justification for the other side.
    No..

The only way Mugabe will be ousted is when he dies.

Explanations as to why are varied, but they boil down to him being a postcolonial black-African ruler, therefore largely untouchable, the lack of resources in Zimbabwe to make invading a viable option, and the general attitude of the betrodden Zimbabwean public which would not uprise to such an extent as to make his position untenable. Stand by for another 5 years of the same, he's looking mighty fit for an 84 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    I know this is drastically over-simplifying things, but someone should just ****ing kill him.
    Would be an easy solution to a whole heap of ****

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    No..
    Explanations as to why are varied, but they boil down to him being a postcolonial black-African ruler, therefore largely untouchable, the lack of resources in Zimbabwe to make invading a viable option, and the general attitude of the betrodden Zimbabwean public which would not uprise to such an extent as to make his position untenable.
    Dont forget its also a landlocked country which makes military intervention very difficult. It would also require massive political concessions from surrounding African countries to allow access through their territory to invade Zim. Very politcally difficult.
    Last edited by Goughy; 30-06-2008 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Would be an easy solution to a whole heap of ****
    It's not like me to advocate the killing of anyone, being religious and all that, but seriously...99.9999% of the world would not only not care if he died, they'd be actively happy. Many, many lives would be saved.

What's stopping the real-life equivalent of Jack Bauer or James Bond just going into Zimbabwe and taking him out? Surely they'd have the support of virtually the entire world?

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    What's stopping the real-life equivalent of Jack Bauer or James Bond just going into Zimbabwe and taking him out? Surely they'd have the support of virtually the entire world?
    The problem is that it wouldnt. The sovereignty of Black leaders seperate from former colonial powers and their independence from Western interference is more important to numerous groups than electioral fraud or genocide.

It doesnt really matter what is going on as long as it is their man doing it. Western assassination of an African leader as prominent as Mugabe would cause a whole storm that would spread across the World. Now, a Zimbabwean doing it and having an African solution to the problem would be the easiest way around these issues.
    Last edited by Goughy; 30-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.

The problem is that wouldnt. The sovereignty of Black leaders from former colonial powers and their independence from Western interference is more important to numerous groups than electioral fraud or genocide.

It doesnt really matter what is going on as long as it is their man doing it. Western assassination of an African leader as prominent as Mugabe would cause a whole storm that would spread across the World. Now, a Zimbabwean doing it and having an African solution to the problem would be the easiest way around these issues.
    Yeah, I see your point. Shame there doesn't seem to be a Zimbabwean Jack Bauer knocking about.

cpr
    Reckon Mandela should get him in a choke hold and not let go tbh.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    Whilst Tutu comes in off the top rope

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post

Mandela probably is one of the few people he'd listen to, don't think even he'd be able to persuade Mugabe to go though. And I doubt if even assassination would achieve anything as I suspect a military junta would take over and inflict genocide on the group(s) believed responsible. In any case, it's naive to assume that Mugabe doesn't enjoy some genuine support, despite the dreadful state of the economy.

I know it's not remotely practicable, but I wish there were a way of arming the MDC and their supporters. These so-called 'war veterans' who go into the villages to carry out beatings on people who voted MDC (almost everybody, that is) would run for the hills if people started shooting at them.

Whilst Tutu comes in off the top rope
    Tutu hasn't come off the top rope successfully for years

Huh, whats a metaphor?
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar

US-UK invade and depose Saddam: booo evil oil hungry war criminals
    US-UK don't invade and depose Mugabe: booo evil people supporting dictatorships

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information