Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 126

Thread: AS Level Questions

  1. #1
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433

    AS Level Questions

    Hi,

    Could somebody please assist me with some AS Level choices. I was back and forth about whether to do Business Studies or Philosophy&Ethics as my fourth AS Level choice. The former is likely more useful whereas the latter holds more credability for the course I wish to study at University - PPE. Can somebody please shed some light upon whether Philosophy&Ethics is necessary for PPE (I researched, but could not find a definative answer) and which you think I should do.

    Don't worry all those who will lambast this thread, and get a perverse pleasure from doing so, this is not being used as my only source.

    Thanks for your non sarcastic, helpful responses

    Manee
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Jamaica
    Posts
    18,574
    A Level can go shove it.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

    R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

  3. #3
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Did you miss the penultimate line?

  4. #4
    State 12th Man jammay123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    730
    a mate of mine did philosophy but dropped it to to a proper subject (history) he said it was a bollocks subject. but whatever you do dont do maths it drove me crazy for a year before i could get rid of it. anyways good luck at college when you start.,
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

    the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

    Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

    Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

    come on CW BLUE


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,853
    Philosophy & Ethics is not essential for PPE. I was considering it and I did real A levels.

    Business Studies is watered down crap - if you want to study the economy, study Economics. What are your other three?
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  6. #6
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Maths (statistics), Politics, Economics

  7. #7
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Maths (statistics), Politics, Economics
    I did Philosophy & Ethics as my 4th A level, its easy pass and looks decent enough, but if you want to look credible I'd advise that in addition to the Subjects you have already chosen you pick History.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Maths (statistics), Politics, Economics
    Then definitely don't take Business Studies. I would consider taking pure maths on top of that (things fit together and reduce your workload) - or perhaps History to complement the existing portfolio.

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Then definitely don't take Business Studies. I would consider taking pure maths on top of that (things fit together and reduce your workload) - or perhaps History to complement the existing portfolio.
    I'm not entirely comfortable with History. Interesting that you mention Pure Maths (which I presume is Further Maths) since it had not been one of my previous thoughts. I am good at Maths, but feel that Further Maths may be much of an overload for me since there are quite substantial areas in maths where I am weak - such as working with shapes such as getting a relevant 2D shape in 3D Trig.

    Not sure if it would be the most credible piece of information, but a man who teaches both, Economics and Business Studies say that the courses are different and not similar whatsoever. I am aware the universities do not rate anything with 'Studies' on the end, but do feel that the information attained my be useful in working life.

    Thanks for the input of everyone so far.

  10. #10
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,631
    If you are prepared to do Politics, History would be a logical choice, as the two subjects overlap a lot, and the exams/coursework are marked in the same way.

  11. #11
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Ok. Just found out that you are not allowed to do Business Studies and Economics, since they are taught by the same teachers and I guess, because they are quite similar. That has changed my plans a lot, I am seriously considering History now.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,853
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I'm not entirely comfortable with History. Interesting that you mention Pure Maths (which I presume is Further Maths) since it had not been one of my previous thoughts. I am good at Maths, but feel that Further Maths may be much of an overload for me since there are quite substantial areas in maths where I am weak - such as working with shapes such as getting a relevant 2D shape in 3D Trig.

    Not sure if it would be the most credible piece of information, but a man who teaches both, Economics and Business Studies say that the courses are different and not similar whatsoever. I am aware the universities do not rate anything with 'Studies' on the end, but do feel that the information attained my be useful in working life.

    Thanks for the input of everyone so far.
    I don't know how A Level maths turns out now - I took Maths (3 Pure, 2 Stats, 1 Mechanics) and AS Further (1 Pure, 1 Mechanics, 1 Decision).

    Another reasonable option could be English - or if you're a good mathematician, Physics.

    I also hate triangles with a burning passion that is generally intensified on a semi-regular basis when I have to mark pages of the bastards.

  13. #13
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    Another reasonable option could be English - or if you're a good mathematician, Physics.
    No English, too much reading. Physics, again, holes in my knowledge - such as the understanding of circuits, but maybe. Looking to make a decision by Monday and go into school if I have chosen to change my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    I also hate triangles with a burning passion that is generally intensified on a semi-regular basis when I have to mark pages of the bastards.
    Nah - the shape is given to you, you don't have to visualise anything. I remember being the best in maths in my class in Year 2 by ridiculously far and yet being held back in some areas because I couldn't work out how many sides to a cube, how many corners, etc.

  14. #14
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,433
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I did Philosophy & Ethics as my 4th A level, its easy pass and looks decent enough, but if you want to look credible I'd advise that in addition to the Subjects you have already chosen you pick History.
    Is Philosophy and Ethics interesting? I am deeply interested in philosophy and am starting to wonder how much credability is given to the 'fourth AS' by universities, it is always "2As and a B" or "3As" with no mention of any fourth subject.

  15. #15
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Posts
    31,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Is Philosophy and Ethics interesting? I am deeply interested in philosophy and am starting to wonder how much credability is given to the 'fourth AS' by universities, it is always "2As and a B" or "3As" with no mention of any fourth subject.
    It's an interesting Subject no doubt, very much so, but it really depends on the quality of teaching you get, I had one brilliant teacher, and one who was the worst I have ever known. I managed to get a B overall despite failing one side of the course.

    My offer for my Uni place (Law at Reading) was AAB, my actual grades were ABBC and an A in general studies (which though it doesnt count for much i'd still reccomend doing it, as its an easy qualification that requires no work, and it makes you look better than someone who doesnt have it) and I got offered a place on the course. I also got offered a place at Southampton and Sussex for law, both of them asked for AAA, but I still got offered places. So if you ask me its definitely worth it.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Questions... Questions That Need Answering
    By Stuartp in forum Fantasy Cricket
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 19-10-2006, 10:45 AM
  2. What level of cricket do you play?
    By Isolator in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 19-04-2005, 04:04 PM
  3. NSW...can they compete at international leveL?
    By deeps in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 10:49 AM
  4. Coaching - Level 1
    By Kiwi in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2002, 05:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •